gleninjersey

Cutting Cable Cord / Slashing Monthly Cable Bill

I'll double check the price for the lower package though just incase the wife got it wrong

'I use ooma it's great and 2 bucks / month basic. If you want to port a number they charge 35 one time.

With Ooma can I keep the same # and same corded phone. The tone being different probably is ok because she is mostly deaf lol.

You can keep the number with Ooma but they told me when I did mine the port fee was $39, BUT, if you sign up for a year of premium

Service which is normally $10 a month they give you the year for $99 and include porting at no extra fee. I wanted premium for many of the features including NoMoRobo and other blocking features to get rid of all the junk calls plus I can have the. Umber ring on my cellphone besides ringing in the house.

Officially returned both cable boxes yesterday.  Also have Cablevision and are using their Optimum 60 internet (60 Mbps downloads & 25 Mbps uploads).  Running two Rokus, 3 cell phones and laptop.  So far working fine.

Went from almost $220 a month with the triple play to $40 for internet, $40 for Playstation Vue, $5 for Ooma phone, $10 for Netflix and $8 for Hulu for total of $103!  Yuge monthly savings!  

YouTube just announced. 40 channels of cable for $35. Game changer.

Not really. It will only work on mobile devices although you can cast it. It is not going to work on streaming devices like FireTV, AppleTV, Roku or SmartTVs directly. I also saw it will have YouTube stuff in the frame and won't fill the screen. PS Vue will still be better which in this area already has local networks and DVR.

I'm in my 5th day trial of PS Vue. So far for me it works fairly well. Con is the skip button 10 seconds???? Why not 30. Still not a deal breaker. I get all the channels I watch and love the DVR function since I never watch live TV.

Cindy on the other hand must decide to make sacrifices. Out of 9 channels she watches only 3 are available and I ordered the top package sans HBO till GOT's comes back.

It will save us almost $80 a month and I didn't have to purchase any devises because I have a media PC hooked up in my living room and already have a Chromecast.

Cindy is leaning towards making the sacrifice.

Just hit the right button a bunch of times rapidly and it will jump ahead.  I routinely hit it so it jumps 3:00 or 3:30 to skip a bunch of commercials at once.

I'm using the web client and there is some latency in the wireless mouse so that doesn't work too well.

Cindy was annoyed that Freeform one of the channels she watches shows on only let you keep one in your dvr. Once the new one airs the previous weeks is removed. I'm glad it appears that Freeform is the only network that does that. The ironic thing is that 5 shows are available on Freeforms website but you have to enter your cable provider to watch.

I'm using the web client and there is some latency in the wireless mouse so that doesn't work too well.

Cindy was annoyed that Freeform one of the channels she watches shows on only let you keep one in your dvr. Once the new one airs the previous weeks is removed. I'm glad it appears that Freeform is the only network that does that. The ironic thing is that 5 shows are available on Freeforms website but you have to enter your cable provider to watch.

Don't watch Freeform but that is strange as Vue claims anything you record stays for 28 days and that has been my experience with all the stuff I record. I am running on a FireTV box and AppleTV so perhaps it works differently.

Don't watch Freeform but that is strange as Vue claims anything you record stays for 28 days and that has been my experience with all the stuff I record. I am running on a FireTV box and AppleTV so perhaps it works differently.

This is mynexperience. However PS had an issue the other day with DVR shows missing and it has since been remedied and the shows are back.

In case you didnt know, since you are a PS Vue subscriber, you can also get the Apps for individual channels and then you don't need to dvr anything since you can just play something directly from the channel's app.

For example, Freedorm has an app with all of their programming but you can only get access to it by signing in with your PS Vue (or any other cooperating cable subscriber) account

Howard please link where you see that it will only be available for Mobil devices ?

It was in an article on the cord cutters tech support group on Facebook that they are only going to have it work as being cast from a computer phone or tablet to a TV.

I'm in my 5th day trial of PS Vue. So far for me it works fairly well. Con is the skip button 10 seconds???? Why not 30. Still not a deal breaker. I get all the channels I watch and love the DVR function since I never watch live TV.

Cindy on the other hand must decide to make sacrifices. Out of 9 channels she watches only 3 are available and I ordered the top package sans HBO till GOT's comes back.

It will save us almost $80 a month and I didn't have to purchase any devises because I have a media PC hooked up in my living room and already have a Chromecast.

Cindy is leaning towards making the sacrifice.

What remote are you using with your HTPC?

A cheap Chinese one I got off of eBay several years ago. I had a logitech that cost around $100 with a mini ketboard and track pad and it crapped out after a year. I got the eBay one for $14 and it's still going strong. The name on it is ipazzport.

• Like 1

No longer in NJ.
Cut ties with DirecTV, savings per month $160.00. I started at under $100.00 10 yrs ago and nothing changed other than we lost several channels over the yrs that they added to $packages$.
Over the air antenna, depending on weather I get between 4-29 channels.
You can watch ANYTHING for free on line from movies that haven't been released yet to any sport in the WORLD to cable news from anyplace in the world.

Total cost per month Zero. Also cancelled my landline. I do use a dedicated chrome-box for TV, cost, e-bay $80.00, had a cordless keyboard and mouse.

Don't miss 300 channels of Nothing. On DirecTV after 11 or 12 pm 80% of the channels were infomercials right up 7-8 in the morning.

• Like 1

I just did the same. I had xfinity double play with all the channels for 260 per month PLUS all the stuff i bought on demand. I just got rid of it and now just have high speed internet (98/mo.), 4k netflix (15/mo.), and amazon prime (100/yr.). I just have to find a way to watch walking dead live now.

The problem with "free" is it takes away from someone else. If everyone watched "free" pirated movies where is the incentive for film makers to make the movies you enjoy?

If film makers and the whiny rich elite Hollywood actors didn't make so much money or they'd lower theater prices, we could afford to pay for them. But since the elections and seeing all those elitist pricks trying to tell us how to live, fookem. They make way too much money and they think they rules us. [emoji867][emoji867][emoji867][emoji867][emoji867]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 5

I just did the same. I had xfinity double play with all the channels for 260 per month PLUS all the stuff i bought on demand. I just got rid of it and now just have high speed internet (98/mo.), 4k netflix (15/mo.), and amazon prime (100/yr.). I just have to find a way to watch walking dead live now.

Playstation Vue will get you Walking Dead live along with many other live channels.

If film makers and the whiny rich elite Hollywood actors didn't make so much money or they'd lower theater prices, we could afford to pay for them. But since the elections and seeing all those elitist pricks trying to tell us how to live, fookem. They make way too much money and they think they rules us. [emoji867][emoji867][emoji867][emoji867][emoji867]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I was just going to say the same thing. If they want to try and steal my 2a right I'm going to steal from them. 

• Like 2

The problem with "free" is it takes away from someone else. If everyone watched "free" pirated movies where is the incentive for film makers to make the movies you enjoy?

I really don't care about the rich elitist hollywood dirtballs.

I don't watch many movies but I have been able to watch a few before they ever hit the theater. Ya know where they charge $9-10.00 a ticket for 30 minutes of commercials then $16.00 for popcorn and a drink. Yeah I feel bad. :sarcastichand:

I like old TV's shows from the 50's and can watch half a dozen at a time with no commercials.

So I have a firestick and between that and PS Vue that satisfies my needs as I don't really watch much TV. Got Ooma but still need to wire it in. Only problem is xfinity is the only viable Internet provider so it's still going to cost us about 100 bucks. So we're at about 140 bucks for Internet and PS vue, once we buy the correct modem (bought the wrong one lol) and stop renting one we will be saving about 50 bucks a month. Thanks for all the info guys!

• Like 1

We've had Roku for about 5 weeks now. Aside from easy access to Netflix, Pandora, and some Amazon features, it's lame as can be. The free channels are lame beyond belief. I turned on the "billiards" channel the other day and watched two guys with beer bellies playing 8-ball in a smoke filled bar. Youtube has far better videos. You can watch snippets of good stuff but it's hardly a home entertainment device. It will not replace cable. And the remote/interface is HORRIBLE.

What you need is one of the windows mini-micro computers and set up some kind of gateway service yourself.

We've had Roku for about 5 weeks now. Aside from easy access to Netflix, Pandora, and some Amazon features, it's lame as can be. The free channels are lame beyond belief. I turned on the "billiards" channel the other day and watched two guys with beer bellies playing 8-ball in a smoke filled bar. Youtube has far better videos. You can watch snippets of good stuff but it's hardly a home entertainment device. It will not replace cable. And the remote/interface is HORRIBLE.

What you need is one of the windows mini-micro computers and set up some kind of gateway service yourself.

I am not a big fan of Roku devices, but I don't think your analysis is fair.  None of these devices provide content, they are just gateways to get content.  You go on to say YouTube is better than Roku free channels, but you can watch YouTube on a Roku so that makes little sense.  I guess the big issue is are you looking for legal content or pirate content.  If the latter, then yes something like an Amazon FireTV device or a computer is better because you can load them up with Kodi and other pirate content.  You can do that on Roku do some degree with channels like Channel Pear.  The biggest issues I have with Roku is the guide on it for PS Vue really sucks and not nearly as usable as on AppleTV or FireTV.  Also Roku has no app for Direct TV Now yet, but they claim that will be out by the end of this month.

I am not a big fan of Roku devices, but I don't think your analysis is fair.  None of these devices provide content, they are just gateways to get content.  You go on to say YouTube is better than Roku free channels, but you can watch YouTube on a Roku so that makes little sense.  I guess the big issue is are you looking for legal content or pirate content.  If the latter, then yes something like an Amazon FireTV device or a computer is better because you can load them up with Kodi and other pirate content.  You can do that on Roku do some degree with channels like Channel Pear.  The biggest issues I have with Roku is the guide on it for PS Vue really sucks and not nearly as usable as on AppleTV or FireTV.  Also Roku has no app for Direct TV Now yet, but they claim that will be out by the end of this month.

Maybe I was being too harsh but the fact remains that you don't have to spend $120 for Roku to do what a cheap laptop or tablet, paired with a bluetooth keyboard, can do much more elegantly and efficiently. I expected more than just a lame, slow, clunky computer. I expected more in the way of aggregation of real entertainment portals and channels, not watered down crap. 

Maybe I was being too harsh but the fact remains that you don't have to spend $120 for Roku to do what a cheap laptop or tablet, paired with a bluetooth keyboard, can do much more elegantly and efficiently. I expected more than just a lame, slow, clunky computer. I expected more in the way of aggregation of real entertainment portals and channels, not watered down crap. 

Well there are all different versions of Roku, and you don't have to spend $120 for them.  The cheapest one, the stick, is about $29.  I have a Streaming Stick which goes for about $49 that I got for free by signing up for a month of SlingTV Blue for $25.  If you use a computer you either need one of these devices, or a chromecast or run a cable to you TV to watch content on a big screen.  These dongles are limited purpose mini computers that just plug into an HDMI port and allow you to get content via WiFi, while some can also be wired.  The bottom line is people really have to consider what they are trying to achieve and then look at the various devices to figure out which ones best meet their needs.  I think most people will find that the Amazon FireTV box or the cheaper FireTV stick will yield the best mix of price and capabilities.