sosa9999

.458 Socom Magazine, NJ ok ?

Seen this mag on the Tromix website and wondering if this would be NJ OK. The reason I question it, I took a 15/30 hex mag and did somewhat of the same modifications to it. WHY YOU ASK, makes feeding the first .458 round easier. But I am still able to load 15rd of 5.56/.223 ammunition in the mag. It WILL NOT hold 2 rounds or less in the mag (they pop out). When I shove 3 or more rounds, the pressure from the spring presses the rounds against the feed lips. It start holding the rounds in and then I can load the mag normally.  I figured this will function the same way for a 30 round mag round. In my opinion these would be a no go in Jersey, What do you guess think ? Thank you for taking the time and reading this.  

SCG-11C​
Restricted State, Compliant Magazines.  Available for California/Colorado etc.

These 10 rounds magazines are equipped with black anodized aluminum center feed followers and base plates engraved
".458 SOCOM 10 rounds".  These magazines will not accept a round of 5.56/.223 ammunition and are not readily convertible to 5.56/.223 due to their non-removable base plates. Also available in 7 round capacity. (No shipments to the City of New York or Monroe County New York)

75a919df90d00424908396199f51d7c4.jpg

IMHO, if the mag was made to hold 10 rds of .458, it does not matter how many .223s you can fit in it.

With the .223s flying out the top when only 2 rounds are in it, I would assume it would not feed.223s reliably, so okay in the PRNJ.

• Like 1

I can probably stuff 150 rounds of .22lr into a .223 mag. Does that make it illegal?

Absolutely not. Read the statutes. The magazine must be capable of continuously feeding said rounds into a semi auto firearm.

A bunch of .22 rattling around in an AR mag isn't going to get you into trouble.

Quote Sosa9999...."Seen this mag on the Tromix website and wondering if this would be NJ OK. The reason I question it, I took a 15/30 hex mag and did somewhat of the same modifications to it. If you modified a magazine yourself, and it holds MORE than 15 rounds and works it is illegal. WHY YOU ASK, makes feeding the first .458 round easier. But I am still able to load 15rd of 5.56/.223 ammunition in the mag. If it only holds 15 and no more, there is no issue! It WILL NOT hold 2 rounds or less in the mag (they pop out). When I shove 3 or more rounds, the pressure from the spring presses the rounds against the feed lips. It start holding the rounds in and then I can load the mag normally.  I figured this will function the same way for a 30 round mag round. What about it 30 rounds? In my opinion these would be a no go in Jersey, What do you guess think ? Thank you for taking the time and reading this."

If you buy .458 mags from a manufacturer that hold 15 rounds of .458 or less, you are fine. They were not made to reliably feed .223s. The fact that you can put .223s in it and not reliably feed makes no difference.

If you modify a magazine sold to you as a 30 round .223 to fit 10 rounds of .458 you could get into trouble.  If you buy a .10 round 458 mag and they ship it to you in Jersey, (keep your receipt)! The fact that it will

hold 30 rounds of .223 makes no difference. It is legal as long as you don't get caught with it loaded with .223 as that is not the caliber it was made for!

Regardless of what the magazine says on it, here's how it could go down:

- You are served a warrant for some reason and a police agency searches your home and seizes your firearms and magazines.

- An officer at the agency becomes suspicious that one of the magazines seized is "high capacity" and asks the agency's firearms expert to test it in all of the seized semi-automatic firearms.

- The firearms expert loads the magazine with >15 rounds of a caliber for a semi-auto firearm that they seized (regardless if it is the firearm you intended to use with that magazine or not) and then tests to see if that firearm will fire >15 rounds "continuously".

- If > 15 rounds fire "continuously", you will be charged with possession of a high capacity magazine based on the expert's testing and testimony.

- If > 15 rounds do not fire "continuously", you will not be charged with possession of a high capacity magazine.

They will not test load it and test fire it. They will just say its a banned magazine and charges will go forward. It will be you and your lawyer proving in court that it is not a banned item.  They are not stupid, they let you squirm on the hook and see if you can wiggle free. Otherwise, the jury will decide your fate.  Its been done that way already in court, ask Nappen.  

They will not test load it and test fire it. They will just say its a banned magazine and charges will go forward. It will be you and your lawyer proving in court that it is not a banned item.  They are not stupid, they let you squirm on the hook and see if you can wiggle free. Otherwise, the jury will decide your fate.  Its been done that way already in court, ask Nappen.  

In Brian Aitken's case, with Nappen representing, the prosecution tried that tactic and lost on that charge.

The prosecution charged that Mr. Aitken possessed "high capacity" handgun magazines.  The prosecution did not test fire the magazines in a firearm.

Big edit:

Mr. Aitken was initially convicted of possessing "high capacity" handgun magazines.

On appeal, Nappen argued that the prosecution had not proven that the magazines were capable of continuously feeding >15 rounds to Mr. Aitken's handguns.

The appellate court agreed:

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2012/03/31/nj-appellate-court-overturns-2-convictions-in-brian-aitken-case/

The panel also overturned Aitken’s conviction for possession of a large-capacity ammunition magazine, saying the prosecution had failed to show the magazines were operable.

I'm willing to bet no NJ prosecutor is going to make that mistake again.

I'm not so sure that was a mistake.  I have seen other cases not always firearm related where information or discovery is not done leaving the charges intact and looking to make the defendant look bad by the number of charges against them. Also done to try to get the the jury to think guilty by association or letting them come to their own conclusion of guilt,

I'm not so sure that was a mistake.  I have seen other cases not always firearm related where information or discovery is not done leaving the charges intact and looking to make the defendant look bad by the number of charges against them. Also done to try to get the the jury to think guilty by association or letting them come to their own conclusion of guilt,

I believe it was a mistake.  Aitken had 3 charges against him by the prosecution - 2 were overturned, and the last one, arguably the weakest of the 3, only stuck because of a very rigid interpretation of hollow point transportation law.