Sign in to follow this  
MartyZ

Say hello to my little friend

Just picked it up today, S&W 629 performance center.

That rail is just asking for a red dot, I'm thinking of putting a vortex venom on it.

20170224_212221_zpsebh19qx4.jpg

A beauty.

Awesome S&W. LGS has had one for a while. I have been considering for some time but other buys always seem to get priority. I have a 460xvr with a Trijicon RMR. I would not go with a cheep red dot like a venom. Recoil on magnums is punishing. I trashed a weaver handgun scope after a few shots.

• Like 1

I would not put a trijicon on it, too expensive, venom is $219 at b&h and with vortex's warrenty i don't have to worry. As for the porting reducing muzzle rise, I don't know yet, hoping to get out to the range in a few weeks. It does come with a rubber grip in the box, and it will stay there, the wood grips look better in person than on the photo.

Well, here she is with the venom mounted, picked it up at Oaks yesterday. Had to open up the gap a little in the rail, the gaps are too small, most likely weaver not picatinny. But once I opened it up the venom fit perfectly. Now I can't wait to get it out to the range. 

20170326_152829_zpssfeqxn9e.jpg

I don't understand all this hating on rubber grips. Sure wood looks nice, but I buy my guns to shoot, not to hang on the wall and admire.

Marty, those grips look like they are Altamonts and I have a similar set for an L-frame. My prediction is that you may shoot half a box of ammo before abandoning them for the Goodyears.

1235k6b.jpg

I may be a pussy, but I find that even the exposed backstrap Hogues can be painful. The guns I shoot most (competition) all wear the Hogue Tamers from the X-frames. I assume that your new 629 is a round butt, so the X-frame grips would fit it fine.

Admittedly I have become more recoil averse (smarter?) as I've gotten older - but even in my silhouette days (lots of magnum, quasi-rifle and rifle  cartridges in a handgun) I favored rubber. Function over form - saved me from having any of these...

http://www.newhealthadvisor.com/Pain-Between-Thumb-and-Index-Finger.html

Beautiful gun.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

• Like 1

I don't understand all this hating on rubber grips. Sure wood looks nice, but I buy my guns to shoot, not to hang on the wall and admire.

Marty, those grips look like they are Altamonts and I have a similar set for an L-frame. My prediction is that you may shoot half a box of ammo before abandoning them for the Goodyears.

1235k6b.jpg

I may be a pussy, but I find that even the exposed backstrap Hogues can be painful. The guns I shoot most (competition) all wear the Hogue Tamers from the X-frames. I assume that your new 629 is a round butt, so the X-frame grips would fit it fine.

Admittedly I have become more recoil averse (smarter?) as I've gotten older - but even in my silhouette days (lots of magnum, quasi-rifle and rifle  cartridges in a handgun) I favored rubber. Function over form - saved me from having any of these...

http://www.newhealthadvisor.com/Pain-Between-Thumb-and-Index-Finger.html

Beautiful gun.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Bob, i'm pretty sure you are right, these will probably be very painful. But I want to try them out first, a set of rubber grips came with the gun so if these hurt too much I will definitely switch them out. 

Well i finally got out to the range, and all i can say is WOW. recoil is the same as my .357 snub nose and muzzle rise is much less. I thought the wooden handles would be painful, but no, 80 rounds and no pain, and that's after 300 rounds thru my XDM 45. And the vortex venom, with absolutely no adjustment, was dead on at 25 yards, but that was pure luck.