Malsua

DJI Mavic Pro aerial view of my town

My wife bought me a reasonably priced drone for Christmas(U818) and for what it is, it's fun.   Since I am into photography I had to get one with a better camera.   These DJI Mavic drones have been hard to get until recently so when I put my order in for it, I didn't expect it for some weeks...then it shows up 4 days later :).

Anyway, this thing is glued to wherever you tell it to go and stays wherever you tell it to stay.  The camera gimbal is stabilized and this thing takes rock solid 4k video. 

I shot it straight up 344 feet for a 3 minute spin.    It's an amazing drone. 

The mavic is one of the coolest drones out at the moment. Price is holding me back, but the stabilization, remote and compactness are tempting me. One criticism has been the camera for being 'soft' what's your experience there?

If you don't tap to focus, once you are up in the air, the Mavic can be soft.   From what I can tell, anyone who claims it's soft focused, didn't actually focus the drone.  I haven't seen any softness.  In the video I posted above, it was getting dark, any issues there are mostly noise.  I shot some day footage this week in bright sunlight and it's as crisp as you can get.

As for the price, it hurts.  If I trash this drone, I'm going to be crushed, but no risk, no reward.   Of course, I had to get the Fly More Combo, which hurts more. heh.  All in, it's about the same as a decent 1911 and since I have several of those, this is my flying shooter ;)

The size really is what sells me.   The fact that I don't need a suitcase to haul this around makes all the difference to me.   The 4k camera is not as good as the Phantom Pro 4, but it's pretty close and since this is a hobby, it's close enough.

Thanks for the feedback. When I said price is holding me back, should have qualified that with I'm a total newb with drones and the high likelihood of crashing/losing it would be a big hit.

Any recommendations for a couple hundred to get my feet wet(ter)? Only have experience with the smaller lighter 'toy' drones.

Thanks for the feedback. When I said price is holding me back, should have qualified that with I'm a total newb with drones and the high likelihood of crashing/losing it would be a big hit.

Any recommendations for a couple hundred to get my feet wet(ter)? Only have experience with the smaller lighter 'toy' drones.

I can tell you that my U818A drone is pretty good, but it's actually harder to fly than the Mavic.  The Mavic just stays where you leave it.  Every other drone I've flown drifts with the wind so you are constantly adjusting for position.  The issue is that unless you get into a GPS drone they are hard to fly without crashing.    You  can probably pick up a Phantom 2 for pretty cheap.   If you crash it, you're not out much.

I know it's possible to crash the Mavic, but if i do, it's pretty much all on me because I told it to crash, or to fly into the trees or something like that.   If you plan your flight to avoid trees and buildings, you're good.  Once you get up to 125ft or so, it's hard to crash.   In my case, I have to fly it straight up to get past the canopy and in my U818a, it's a little nerve wracking.

I was looking at one of the phantom 3 models as a good entry into a decent photo drone. When I happened on all the mavic reviews everything else seems like a huge step down. From portability to controls to stability, it seems like a great drone. The price is just the hurdle for me.

I was considering the phantom 4 pro.

A great drone, no doubt.   I wish the mavic had 360 degree collision avoidance.   That said, the Mavic is so portable.  Not needing a suitcase to lug around means it'll carry the Mavic bag at times when I wouldn't carry the Phantom.   The Phantom Pro 4 is also $500-$800 more depending on controller, so there is that.  

A great drone, no doubt.   I wish the mavic had 360 degree collision avoidance.   That said, the Mavic is so portable.  Not needing a suitcase to lug around means it'll carry the Mavic bag at times when I wouldn't carry the Phantom.   The Phantom Pro 4 is also $500-$800 more depending on controller, so there is that.

Yeah that's why I don't have one. The mavic is interesting.