Rob0115

Anyone checking out the 2017 Raptor?

I was looking at a few other trucks like the Denali 2500 HD, don't need the size just thought it was cool, but just saw the raptor redesign. The truck looks amazing and now has luxury like a Range Rover. It isn't cheap but the big power, off road capability and comfort seem impressive. Some dealers are over MSRP in it. I found two that ar at MSRP perhaps a bit less as they have inventory that's unsold.

Yes, I've been looking at the second gen Raptor and salivating.  I'm glad I didn't order one last fall as Ford will be coming out with a second engine option for it (if they haven't already) and it's a twin turbo V8.  Ford has stated that it is a production truck and not subject to allocations meaning they'll produce every truck that is ordered so buyers shouldn't be paying over MSRP for it.

Yes, I've been looking at the second gen Raptor and salivating. I'm glad I didn't order one last fall as Ford will be coming out with a second engine option for it (if they haven't already) and it's a twin turbo V8. Ford has stated that it is a production truck and not subject to allocations meaning they'll produce every truck that is ordered so buyers shouldn't be paying over MSRP for it.

So they 450hp v6 turbo isn't the only engine?

Paul,that's the color I like. Looks awesome.

I was looking at the Denali durmax because I'm a diesel junkie but I may be singing a different tune here.

Just read the 5 liter TT v8 may be around in 17 or 18.

So they 450hp v6 turbo isn't the only engine?

Paul,that's the color I like. Looks awesome.

I was looking at the Denali durmax because I'm a diesel junkie but I may be singing a different tune here.

Just read the 5 liter TT v8 may be around in 17 or 18.

Correct.  It was introduced with the gen 2 V6 Ecoboost but a V8 Ecoboost is supposed to be an option this year.  That engine and the luxury package with a SuperCrew cab is basically what I want.

I don't see that over a raptor but that's my opinion. That's the only 1/2 ton I'm considering. If I don't get a raptor it'll be a 3/4 and a Denali durmax. 910 lb/ft of torque is pretty tasty but after looking over the new raptor it looks like too much fun to pass up. Now do a v8 or go with the 450 HP, 510 lb/ft of torque eco tech sting turbo v6?

The raptor is also the only gasoline drinker I'm considering.

Not to throw any shade on ford, but I've looked at a few and wanted to know what I was getting for the price when I sat in a few. I decided to go with a 2017 ram.

I didn't notice the rams as any cheaper than the fords, but both were more expensive than the Denali which I didn't get. Again I was looking at 250/2500 series versions. To me, both power and styling went to the GMC. However, I know this is a religious argument. :)

The raptor will cost more than a loaded 2500 durmax Denali by a bit.

Not to throw any shade on ford, but I've looked at a few and wanted to know what I was getting for the price when I sat in a few. I decided to go with a 2017 ram.

you didn't hit your head on anything, did ya? i like my dodges.....but between the big three....ford, chevy(gmc), dodge in that order. hell....i'd probably buy a toyota before a dodge......unless it's the new awd challenger....

i've got 2 customers that have raptors. one i've only done minor work on.....mostly just his oil changes, as it hasn't needed anything else yet. the other still takes his to the dealer(which i don't mind, 'cause he brings all his company cars to me). both love em. they ride beautifully, but don't honestly feel that quick. on that note though, my friends srt10 ram doesn't feel that quick either....and isn't nearly as capable as the raptor.

you didn't hit your head on anything, did ya? i like my dodges.....but between the big three....ford, chevy(gmc), dodge in that order. hell....i'd probably buy a toyota before a dodge......unless it's the new awd challenger....

Having wrenched on two generations of Rams, I agree.  The mid 90s 1500 I worked on was an amazing cluster.  It was my introduction to needing both metric and standard tools to work on one vehicle.

FYI - Mercedes-Benz is about to launch a pickup truck. 
The all-new 2018 Mercedes-Benz X-Class is a midsize pickup, produced by Mercedes-Benz Vans Unit, that is intended to compete in the midsize pickup market with the Ford Ranger and other similar models.  The two concept vehicles that appeared last fall are the luxury “Explorer” and more muscle-flexing “Adventurer” models.  There should be a number of different engine options available. 

The X-Class will be built by Nissan and Renault, with whom Daimler has an "industrial alliance." It'll go into production late this year at a Nissan factory in Spain, and then at a Renault factory in Argentina next year.  It will be offered in many markets around the world starting later this year. Originally, it was not going to be offered in the U.S. market, but last week it was revealed that Mercedes is now studying the possibility of offering it to American buyers as well. 

Check out the thumbnail photos below.  This could be interesting…..

AVB-AMG

The all-new 2018 Mercedes-Benz X-Class is a midsize pickup, produced by Mercedes-Benz Vans Unit, that is intended to compete in the midsize pickup market with the Ford Ranger and other similar models. The two concept vehicles that appeared last fall are the luxury “Explorer” and more muscle-flexing “Adventurer” models. There should be a number of different engine options available.

The X-Class will be built by Nissan and Renault, with whom Daimler has an "industrial alliance." It'll go into production late this year at a Nissan factory in Spain, and then at a Renault factory in Argentina next year. It will be offered in many markets around the world starting later this year. Originally, it was not going to be offered in the U.S. market, but last week it was revealed that Mercedes is now studying the possibility of offering it to American buyers as well.

Check out the thumbnail photos below. This could be interesting…..

AVB-AMG

Yes, I saw this a while back but it is unknown delivery time. I was going to buy a Gelandewagen 63 but this is just for hauling and the beach. I'm not sure how I feel about paying for a Mercedes that was co-designed and built by Nissan. One saving grace would be if they put the 3 liter blutec in it. I currently have had 3 bluetec MB suvs (2011 ML350, 2014 ML350, 2017 GLS350) and love the platform. 450 lb/ft of torque and my big ass SUV did 27.5 mpg from here to Florida and road like a magic carpet.

Given that the x class is a mid size they'll probably put the 4 cyl diesel in it from the new GLE250. It's noticeably underpowered for the SUV. Also, disappointing, is MB is homologating fewer diesels for the US. Thanks VW.

Rob0115:

While I am not personally interested in purchasing a pickup truck, I find the Mercedes-Benz entry into this vehicle class to be a very interesting opportunity.  Clearly, the automotive industry will be making major evolutionary leaps in the coming decade that will transform how we the public use automobiles.  With the advent of self-driving vehicles transforming how we drive, I think that pickup trucks will be one of the final holdouts, due to their very utilitarian function that requires constant actions by a human driver.

Like you, as automobile enthusiasts, my wife and I have had multiple Mercedes-Benz and BMW SUV's over the past 16 years.  They have served primarily as our vehicles of choice for weekend errands and for multiple annual long, multi-state road trips.  Unlike your more sensible and economical fuel conservation choices of opting for diesel powered SUV's, over the years, I have chosen to lease the performance versions of these SUV's, (ML63 AMG and BMW X5M), complimenting my leased AMG or M-Series daily driver cars.

If history continues to be a guide, Mercedes-Benz will most likely offer an AMG variant of their new X-Class pickup truck about 1-2 years after this new model is introduced.  Then it will be fun to see how BMW, Audi and even Porsche respond.....  Will they match M-B with their own competitive pickup offerings?  In any event, this will be taking utility performance to the next illogical level for those of us who enjoy the thrill and appreciate the paradox of this totally irrational and energy wasting approach to transporting our family and stuff at a high rate of speed, (legal of course :nono: } .

AVB-AMG

Rob0115:

While I am not personally interested in purchasing a pickup truck, I find the Mercedes-Benz entry into this vehicle class to be a very interesting opportunity.  Clearly, the automotive industry will be making major evolutionary leaps in the coming decade that will transform how we the public use automobiles.  With the advent of self-driving vehicles transforming how we drive, I think that pickup trucks will be one of the final holdouts, due to their very utilitarian function that requires constant actions by a human driver.

Like you, as automobile enthusiasts, my wife and I have had multiple Mercedes-Benz and BMW SUV's over the past 16 years.  They have served primarily as our vehicles of choice for weekend errands and for multiple annual long, multi-state road trips.  Unlike your more sensible and economical fuel conservation choices of opting for diesel powered SUV's, over the years, I have chosen to lease the performance versions of these SUV's, (ML63 AMG and BMW X5M), complimenting my leased AMG or M-Series daily driver cars.

If history continues to be a guide, Mercedes-Benz will most likely offer an AMG variant of their new X-Class pickup truck about 1-2 years after this new model is introduced.  Then will be fun to see how BMW, Audi and even Porsche respond.....  Will they match M-B with their own competitive offerings?  In any event, this will be taking utility performance to the next illogical level for those of us who enjoy the thrill and appreciate the paradox of this totally irrational and energy wasting approach to transportation.

AVB-AMG

We are big on the AMG cars and had a bunch (SL55, E63, CLS63) but never the SUVs although I've always wanted the ML63 now GLS63.  My wife loved the performance cars but this last time around she wanted a bit more comfort and went S550 (it's nice but not my cup of tea).  I'm still sitting on a 996 GT3 and GT2 which are really going up in value.

The diesel choice on the SUVs is because they are DD, dog haulers and tailgate machines.  

I think the MB could be interesting her if they did X63 or an X43 (the new mid level AMG).  However, I don't know if / when they will make them in the US.  They'd have to build them here because of the 25% tariff on trucks but I think that's a bit out.  Also, this particular vehicle is for my house in FL and the MB dealer is a pain in the butt to get over to but he ford dealer is 7 miles away.  I think I'm going to order one of these today.  Maplecrest Ford in Mendham has two.

http://www.roushperformance.com/vehicles/2017-roush-f-150.html

Having wrenched on two generations of Rams, I agree.  The mid 90s 1500 I worked on was an amazing cluster.  It was my introduction to needing both metric and standard tools to work on one vehicle.

you oughta work on an srt10 pickup. talk about a clusterfuck.........

The all-new 2018 Mercedes-Benz X-Class is a midsize pickup, produced by Mercedes-Benz Vans Unit, that is intended to compete in the midsize pickup market with the Ford Ranger and other similar models.  The two concept vehicles that appeared last fall are the luxury “Explorer” and more muscle-flexing “Adventurer” models.  There should be a number of different engine options available. 

The X-Class will be built by Nissan and Renault, with whom Daimler has an "industrial alliance." It'll go into production late this year at a Nissan factory in Spain, and then at a Renault factory in Argentina next year.  It will be offered in many markets around the world starting later this year. Originally, it was not going to be offered in the U.S. market, but last week it was revealed that Mercedes is now studying the possibility of offering it to American buyers as well. 

Check out the thumbnail photos below.  This could be interesting…..

AVB-AMG

are they affordable to repair? i've always felt mercedes did a good job of making some of their cars very affordable to buy.......some of the lower c series...but the dam things still cost an arm and leg to repair....

If your looking for new / used truck check out Truecar.com, It truly helps.  

My Father just traded his 06 SRT10 Manual (Not many in the area) in at Malouf.  If anyone's looking for 1 

Originally we brought it back to the dealer: Flemington Car & Truck Country, Which you would think they would give an honorable price.  (Even went on Black Friday)

Sad to say they tried robbing him.  They were $2500 over MSRP,, And even low balling him 2 grand on his SRT10. Over and over I played dumb asking theres nothing else you could can do, seems very high.  Which they came back with every excuse why the price was so high. Which took 4hrs.  I thanked them for there time. Pulled out my phone and showed them we were aware of what the MRSP is, They're jaws dropped,  And we walked out.

Next day went to Malouf and got a the deal Flemington Car & Truck Country should of done.  I have to say that web site really levels the playing field.  

I can't express enough if you're in the market for new / used vech. a quick look on truecar will tell you what a specific vehicle sells for in the area.  So you know if you're getting a fast one pulled over on you or you're getting a fair deal.  Even lets you know if it's a hell of a deal. lol  I don't work for them nor anyone I know.  This is the 3rd time weve saved money using it. 

Good luck hope this helps.