Sign in to follow this  
REQUIEMnJADED4U

First trip out to Cabela's in Hamburg, PA

So I took my first 2 hours drive out to Cabela's in PA today. All I can say is, "WOW!!!!" Outside of the enormity of the store, it was such a shock to walk into a firearms store that had racks of rifles and shotguns that you can literally just walk up to pick up as if it was a bag of chips at the grocery store. I was there for roughly 3 hours and I could've spent so much longer if it wasn't for the SO. All the accessories and firearms related paraphernalia was overwhelming. Just seeing ailes of ammo arranged by the different calibers was something else as well. The staff was very knowledgable and friendly. Sadly they didn't have an left handed rifles as I was looking for one. The ammo prices were ridiculous compared to what I see here in NNJ! I already have a case of 9mm ammo at home but couldn't resist to pick up a few hundred rounds while I was there. I wasn't even ID'ed when I checked out with the ammo. It was an eye opener and kinda sombering to see how tough/strict we have it here in NJ. All in all, I'm definitely a fan and can't wait to go back!

Yep! Like Paul said. I have never been to the PA store but I visit the store in Newark Delaware often.

It was weird at first, seeing 30 round mags and ammo not stored in a locked cage!

There is a definite advantage in being a free American!

I've bought several long guns in PA and DE at Cabelas.   The first time I asked the cashier if I should go out to the truck to get my gun case.  She looked at me weird and said that wasn't necessary.   Someone from the gun dept walked me and my rifle to the door and handed it to me to carry out to my car.  No case, no box.  Nobody in the parking lot ran away screaming or called the police.

If you went like 2007ish, it was A LOT different. Those gun racks were maybe a quarter of the guns they had on the floor. It was either three or four rows of double sided racks, and a lot more variation in selection than one rack of surplus, one of shotguns, one of hunting rifles, and a partly stocked rack of modern rifles.

I went back maybe four years ago, and was very disappointed (went to Delaware twice in that time, and was identical). Yes, you can walk out of the building with a firearm without any issue... but go to the Oaks gunshow if you want to see differences in location. Be on line and watch how many people check a weapon that they are carrying. That is a bigger disparity between NJ and what America should be.

If you are a NJ resident, are you able to go into the Cabelas in PA or anywhere else for that matter, and purchase a long gun or rifle? Or must it be transferred to a NJ FFL?

As long as it is NJ legal, purchase in PA with background check... just like within NJ.

Only firearms that must be transferred through a NJ FFL are pistols... due to federal law. It is like that in every state.

My first time buying 9mm ammo at the DE Cabelas made me giddy. The selection and prices are so much better than any of the shops around me. Being able to compare prices and take it off the shelf, without having to go get an "adult" to record your sale and treat you like a criminal, is absolutely liberating. I love it when my job needs me to go to DE/MD for the day. I usually check to see what's on sale first and I hit it hard. I usually don't have much time, so I'm in and out in 15-20 minutes, but it's a wonderful experience compared to NJ.

As long as it is NJ legal, purchase in PA with background check... just like within NJ.

Only firearms that must be transferred through a NJ FFL are pistols... due to federal law. It is like that in every state.

You and the dealer are still supposed to fill out a Certificate of Eligibility, correct?

http://www.njsp.org/firearms/pdf/sp-634.pdf

You and the dealer are still supposed to fill out a Certificate of Eligibility, correct?

http://www.njsp.org/firearms/pdf/sp-634.pdf

Depends on who you ask... I have and have not.

Cabela's, if I remember correctly, did back in 2007. Don't know if they do now, as I haven't purchased a firearm since then. However, I've purchased long guns from the Oaks gunshow.... and never filled one out. In 2C:58, it does say that a transfer requires certification to be signed by the buyer... but 2C stops at the NY land border and all other water borders around NJ. As long as the FFL (must go through an FFL for out of state long gun purchases; if a NJ resident, CoE is all you need for a long gun... even if takes place in PA) does a background and 4473, that is all they have to do. NJSP can't enforce NJ law in other states.

Purchases are stated that the buyer needs a pistol permit (when applicable, but not needed since we are talking out of state FFLs) and a FID card. Every time I've purchased in PA, I was always asked for the FID... which shows you went through the procedure in NJ. You could pass a background check and not have a FID, so that is the most a PA dealer needs to do to prove you are eligible to purchase a firearm in regards to NJ.

It is sort of along the lines of online ammo purchases. Cabela's doesn't ask for anything other than age when purchasing ammo... and no problems sending it. MidwayUSA, for example, stopped handgun ammo sales to NJ until they got your FID in their system after 2010. That was because of NJ's law for FIDs to be shown for handgun ammo... even though that law cannot be enforced out of state.

Current Federal law requires when purchasing a long gun out of state you meet the laws of both states.  Now NJ requires a FID and a COE and the state your are buying in has its own requirements.  In PA, that is a PA NICS check, PA has its own system.  Some states have laws the say home state only, some states restrict you to adjacent states.  That is their laws.  A FFL may or may not sell to an out of stater, that is their choice.  Some PA FFLs choose not to fill out a NJ COE on purchases, that is their choice again.  

As a FYI, Tanner's in PA will get and sell NJ legal longarms to NJ residents, but they will have you fill out a NJ COE.  The NICS check is through PA NICS and they charge $10 on the first longarms and $5 on others on the same 4473.

I've bought several long guns in PA and DE at Cabelas. The first time I asked the cashier if I should go out to the truck to get my gun case. She looked at me weird and said that wasn't necessary. Someone from the gun dept walked me and my rifle to the door and handed it to me to carry out to my car. No case, no box. Nobody in the parking lot ran away screaming or called the police.

You only need to have a long gun cased for transport in NJ if your hunting. That's a game code rule. As long as the long gun is unloaded it can be transported openly. With a FPID card.

You only need to have a long gun cased for transport in NJ if your hunting. That's a game code rule. As long as the long gun is unloaded it can be transported openly. With a FPID card.

Now you did it.  :laugh:

pandoras-box.jpg

• Like 1

i went this weekend to visit family in Delaware and stopped at the cabelas in the christiana mall and was amazed at the same thing. huge store and open shelves of ammo. Gun out in the open to touch. all i kept saying was my god new jersey and the politicians suck. no tax and the nice are free. The guy at the counter said i never get tired of talking to ppl from new jersey. So now i want to purchase a shotgun from delaware now. two i was looking at are cheaper even before the tax then NJ.

Did bass Pro go through with the Purchase of cabelas?

Last year was talk of closing Hamburg once Bass Pro took over

So far it is not looking good.  Capital One wants out of the financial end and regulatory approval has been slow at best.  Hopefully it does not happen.  Funny to believe the Hamburg store would close.  It's the largest in the Cabelas chain.

My first time buying 9mm ammo at the DE Cabelas made me giddy. The selection and prices are so much better than any of the shops around me. Being able to compare prices and take it off the shelf, without having to go get an "adult" to record your sale and treat you like a criminal, is absolutely liberating. I love it when my job needs me to go to DE/MD for the day. I usually check to see what's on sale first and I hit it hard. I usually don't have much time, so I'm in and out in 15-20 minutes, but it's a wonderful experience compared to NJ.

You and the dealer are still supposed to fill out a Certificate of Eligibility, correct? http://www.njsp.org/firearms/pdf/sp-634.pdf

I pretty much always order my ammo from cabelas.com. Given that I may be able to find it a little cheaper on a bargain-bulk site, cabelas typically has a sale or two going on, free or $5 shipping, and it's delivered to my house within 2-3 days no issues. Just very easy and convenient.

I pretty much always order my ammo from cabelas.com. Given that I may be able to find it a little cheaper on a bargain-bulk site, cabelas typically has a sale or two going on, free or $5 shipping, and it's delivered to my house within 2-3 days no issues. Just very easy and convenient.

I haven't bought from Cabelas.com yet - I've simply gotten better deals from Brownells lately. I do get a better deal from Cabelas when I purchase in store, though. When I have business in DE/MD, my company pays mileage and tolls. Add a $20 off $150 coupon (I get them in the mail periodically, but you can do the survey on your Cabelas receipt to get them as well) and I'm a happy guy. Add in the fact that you can usually get $100 Cabelas gift cards for $85 or less online, and that $10.99 box of 9mm only winds up costing $8.13 (assuming you buy 14 boxes, of course).

Did you go on the weekend? I'd like to check it out, but hear it's a zoo weekends. Not sure if I should plan a mid week trip.

If you can swing it you best bet is during the week in the morning.  I took a trip out last year on a random Tuesday morning and got there when they opened.  No lines and very quick in and out.  They did ask for my NJ FID for my ammo purchase, but they just looked at it and didn't take any information down.

So the PA and DE stores are roughly the same distance from my house.  Which is the "better" store to go to?  I guess "better" means greater inventory/less hassle when purchasing a firearm.

No sales tax in DE.

• Like 1

If you can swing it you best bet is during the week in the morning.  I took a trip out last year on a random Tuesday morning and got there when they opened.  No lines and very quick in and out.  They did ask for my NJ FID for my ammo purchase, but they just looked at it and didn't take any information down.

Not once have I been asked to produce any form of ID when purchasing ammo at Cabela's.

You must be shaddy looking. :laugh:

Careful on the return to NJ: NJ border control can smell the stench of freedom that lingers on you after you leave Cabelas and may institute a cavity search if they suspect you of having indulged too heavily in liberty.

Interesting sarcastic post compared to your TFH post in the 458socom thread.

Sent from an undisclosed location

So the PA and DE stores are roughly the same distance from my house.  Which is the "better" store to go to?  I guess "better" means greater inventory/less hassle when purchasing a firearm.

As mentioned, no sales tax in DE, better inventory in PA. You can always check the website ahead of time, store inventory status appears on a lot of items.  Just have it shipped to home when there are free ship days.   Powder and primers are an exception though, no ship to NJ.  I only go for deals on primers otherwise it get shipped.  Today is a free ship day,  Usually orders shipped from the WV distribution center show up 3 days after ordering.