Sign in to follow this  
Apehanger13

NJ. To Maine with Handgun

HI all .Been reading some back post on this .Im kinda on the fence with this Would like to get some opinions . Not looking to start a debate lol.I usually travel to  Maine for about  3 weeks a year or less.Travel by pickup.I am aware of the FOPA  act and have read through it I have read the laws of the 3 evil states I must pass through.Got a headache reading them.I understand all the magazine regulations for each state and the locked container for the firearm.I would be going over the Tapppan Zee so away from the City. Was even considering leaving my mags and ammo home and use my friends he is a Maine resident.Both have a Shield in 9. As we know im good in New Hampshire and Maine .Thanks. Dont worry about and Sarcasm its  cool with me lol  :icon_cool:  

I've been told that NY only recognizes the FOPA as an affirmative defense. You can still be stopped and arrested for violating their firearms laws. Good luck.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

I've been told that NY only recognizes the FOPA as an affirmative defense. You can still be stopped and arrested for violating their firearms laws. Good luck.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

x2

Follow FOPA standards and don't worry. Millions transit NY State and NYC all the time. Many of these people were transporting firearms under FOPA. There is no doubt that some have been stopped by police for whatever reason. If there was any incidents of people transporting under FOPA being arrested I'm sure we would have heard about it.

Follow FOPA standards and don't worry. Millions transit NY State and NYC all the time. Many of these people were transporting firearms under FOPA. There is no doubt that some have been stopped by police for whatever reason. If there was any incidents of people transporting under FOPA being arrested I'm sure we would have heard about it.

This. I do this drive all the time. Throw it in the trunk so its out of sight and dont worry about it. If you are at the point of having your car searched, you are doing other things in life wrong.

• Like 2

This. I do this drive all the time. Throw it in the trunk so its out of sight and dont worry about it. If you are at the point of having your car searched, you are doing other things in life wrong.

Yes, because there is no such thing as an unscrupulous police officer, and innocent people don't get messed with simply for being in their path.

You're an idiot.

Yes, because there is no such thing as an unscrupulous police officer, and innocent people don't get messed with simply for being in their path.

You're an idiot.

Never said there was no such thing but how many times have you had your car searched in your life? You know anyone who has had their car searched? I dont and I know some people who have done some pretty stupid things on the road. I mean yes, anything is possible but lets be realistic here. If you are being normal, you wont have a problem.

If he's following the FOPA law, like we all have advised him to do, then if he happens to cross path with a cop like that, he's followed the law and done everything as it's supposed to be done. The rest is out of his hands and the officer is going to act like hes going to act.

• Like 1

You're an idiot.

Police need either consent or probable cause to search your car. Some states require written consent.

You apparently have an issue with police. Attitude can be an element of probable cause.

How many times have you been stopped by police for no reason? How many ties have you had your car searched? With or without consent? How many people do you know these things have happened to?

See Shooter28's post #11.