Jfoster99

Improving AR Accuracy

About 5 years ago I built a custom AR-15 using all quality parts. Everything was sourced with top notch components excet for the barrel. I ended up using a company called. "Red-X", out of business now, and got a Stainless Steel heavy barrel profile but accuracy is only 2-3 MOA at best.

I'd like to replace as few as possible parts to turn the rifle into something on par the my recently purchased LWRC IC-SPR in terms of accuracy which is approximately 1 MOA using Black Hills 68Gr. MatchKing HP ammo.

I'm thinking a new barrel and possible BCG? Can anyone recommend what is needed to turn this rifle around into the tack driver I was dreaming of...

1365ca2e22dc7e0995ab14136d1d0031.jpg

e91d784367d64f3daf151fc64eebcaab.jpg

91ec842354ebd6b84b10797ae403f7d8.jpg

Exactly what Vlad said. I think before you go swapping out parts you should have someone who specializes in precision rifles take a look at it. If you ever get in or around Mountainside look up Tier One Defense...ask for Mike. They know their stuff over there 

I understand but I will likely want to replace current barrel regardless with a lighter profile and the SS is not the look I want anymore. I only paid $89 for it.

What brands do to you recommend that I start looking at as a good value and/or best in class options.

Bellow pricing is what I see at Brownels and such. Am I summing it up about right for what I should expect to pay for a quality barrel capable of 1 moa accuracy?

Budget barrels $79 -$150

Quality material barrels run $150-$250.

Accurized barrels run $$250 - $500

Specialty / Designer name Barrels $500 and up.

Red-X was not exactly at the top of their game with barrels.  For stainless Wylde barrels I prefer the Odin Works barrels.  Check with Ty at MidwestPX he usually has them. I have their 18" SS on my SPR and it is on.  As far as bolts, you can get a matched bolt with a barrel but I have not seen the need for one yet.  For barrel to upper fitment, checking the front of the receiver for square when mounting the barrel is paramount, should need little if any truing.

The foundation of every rifle is the barrel.  If you got a lemon, there is only one thing you need to replace  Rainier Arms offers a money back guarantee.  Odin Works is very good too.  I hear White Oak also makes a good barrel.  Those are the three that I'd categorize as reasonably priced.  You should be able to find a match grade replacement barrel from the three mentioned in the $250 - $375 price range.

Vlad may be on to something about the fitment to the receiver.  The first receiver I got for my SPR build, a PSA blem, was out of spec.  Would have been fine for a mil-spec accurate M4gery, but not an SPR.  I bought a BCM upper because they make them to the tightest spec, possibly a thousandth or two smaller than spec.  You kind of have to hammer the barrel in.  If you mounted that red x barrel yourself, and noticed it slid in easily, then the upper is probably sloppy.

If you are feeling ambitious, you can get the barrel bore scoped and see if there are any burrs or repairable defects in the rifling.  It may actually be a decent barrel with poorly finished rifling.  You could try lapping the barrel.

Also, check the feed ramps.  It doesn't happen often but sometimes the feed ramps are poorly machined and deform the bullet tip when feeding into the chamber..  If your ammo is feeding properly all the time, , never jams, the feed ramps are probably not the issue but check it out anyway.  Put the safety on safe, load a mag with 3 rounds then rack the charging handle until all three rounds have ejected then inspect.

Check the crown too.

white oak armament, RRA (wilson), Odin works, and many others have really great reviews that are probably in the $150-200 range

I have a stainless 20" RRA barrel (wylde chamber & 1/8 twist) that's been keeping me happy

If you mounted that red x barrel yourself, and noticed it slid in easily, then the upper is probably sloppy.

Excellent reply, exactly what I was looking for. Thank you... I'll check out Odin works for sure... The Red X barrel was mounted on the receiver at the factory. Odds are it was done correctly. It is just a low end budget barrel.... it has to go!!

If you want precision AR barrels for a decent price Rainier arms uses a variety of excellent blanks from select to ultra match grade.

What profile do you have on the Noveske and LaRue barrels?

The Noveske was a 18" SPR barrel with intermedia has system. Not sure if they have different profiles.

The LaRue is their standard 18" OBR barrel with rifle length gas system. I just got an OBR, it's not something I assembled. I would imagine their Stealth battles are just as accurate.