sroc112

Federal Guard Dog

Looking to purchase a few boxes of Federal Guard Dog in 9mm but having trouble finding it at an online retailer that has it in stock.  Looking to steer away from JHP and stick to FMJ but looking to try something different.

Anyone know of any retailers that have it in stock?  Or anyone have any other suggestions for ammo that would be similar to Guard Dog that may be worth looking into?  I will probably buy a few boxes and take a couple to the range to see how it shoots and if I like it keep it in my loaded HD gun.  Not interested in JHP though, just personal preference I try to stay away from anything that could add additional legal complications in the event I ever had to use the gun.

As long as you are actually justified, hollow points aren't an issue...

But Hornady Critical Defense/Duty is another option, if you are looking for a non HP choice.

The "actually justified" part is what I try to avoid. Depending on who determines if my actions were actually justified is where the mystery lies.

Not for nothing but if you shoot someone the type of bullet you use will likely be moot at that point. If you are looking to avoid the to and from house/range rule you will still have issues with taking your pistol.

Also, I'd be more worried about guard dog/CD being labeled "dum dum rounds".

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Are those the ones with the little red plastic piece in the middle?

Yep... they do pink, as well.

The "actually justified" part is what I try to avoid. Depending on who determines if my actions were actually justified is where the mystery lies.

If you shoot and shouldn't have, having hollow points would be an additional 2-3 years... added to 5 to 30 years for manslaughter (depending on circumstances). If you screw the pooch, you screwed the pooch.

Don't get me wrong, I understand what you mean... but it is like worry about modifying your firearms. Hell, if push comes to shove, you belong to a firearms forum, asking about bullets... that could make you seem like a blood-thirsty gun owner, looking to grease a poor child that was breaking in just to say hi. Sarcasm, but it is in the similar ballpark.

But that is far from what you asked, so sorry for the sidetrack...

In regards to Guard Dog like loads, look up Expanding FMJ. Used to be a few companies doing them.

If you have to shoot someone so they don't kill you the type of bullet you use is a moot point. Others have already stated this.

The gun, caliber, ammo, and skill with a firearm is maybe 5% of gunfighting. 95% of gunfighting is between your ears. This includes the ability to recognize when you can shoot someone.

• Like 2

What is the difference between the Hornady critical defense and the critical duty? And will these essentially be viewed as hollow points in the event you ever have to show in court for anything? It is more or less a HP just with a piece of plastic in the middle.

Employee at the shop today was talking up the ruger art rounds. I am not too familiar on the pros and cons to these types of bullets, anyone here enjoy them?

i am looking for a better defense Roy d for my home defense firearm and also in a carry firearm.

NJ's laws include hollow point and dum-dum bullets. A dum-dum bullet is any bullet that is designed to expand. So no matter what the name they have restrictions in NJ. The restrictions have more to do with transportation than lawful use.

What is the difference between the Hornady critical defense and the critical duty?

http://www.hornady.com/support/critical-duty-and-critical-defense

By the way, this all seems like a whole bunch of semantics that hasn't been tested in court. The EFMJ is obviously not a hollowpoint but its certainly expanding ammunition (it's right in the damn acronym). OTOH open tip match rifle bullets are definitely hollowpoints but they are NOT expanding ammunition. Is anybody concerned about getting jammed up with Sierra Matchkings rolling around in their car?

There are plenty of other things to worry about

Anyone know an online retailer that has the guard dogs in stock and will ship to nj? Just tried through bass pro but got an email that order was canceled due to restricted address.

http://ammoseek.com/ammo/9mm-luger/Federal?ikw=guard

Not much choice. I wonder if Federal is even making Guard Dog anymore?