drewp

Non dominant hand training

Hey all.  I used to go to the range 1-2 times per week.  I had a bad snowboarding accident about 2 years ago.  I was diagnosed with a traumatic brain injury and a right brachial plexus injury.  Suffice it to say, I am very weak/pins & needles on my right (dominant) side.  All of my problems are physical....not mental.  I want to learn to shoot (handgun) with my left hand.  I got a "toy" that I use in my basement.  Shoots a laser of sorts at the target.  A toy shooting gallery.  I've gotten pretty good from about 20 feet.  I'd like to practice in the yard where its too bright for the toy.  Was thinking about a pellet or BB gun.  I think in good ole NJ, I need a permit to purchase a pellet/BB handgun.  Any suggestions?  When I get good/confident enough, I'll go back to the range.  Thanks.  

Keep in mind a BB or pellet gun is defined as a firearm in NJ. If you shoot one in your backyard you may be subject to legal complications depending on where you live and your neighbors.

I'm assuming you are also right eye dominant and you've been practicing with your left hand. Don't try to train yourself to be left eye dominant. You'll only frustrate yourself. When you practice with the gun in your left, turn your head slightly to the left so you're using your right eye to align the sights. You may want to close your left eye and that's okay. When you get used to shooting t his way you can go back to shooting with both eyes open.

Another thing to do is angle the gun in toward the center of your body. Not 90 degrees "gangsta" style but maybe 15 to 45 degrees depending on what works for you. There are physiological reasons this helps shooting with your non-dominant hand. As you progress you'll find you'll go back to holding the gun straight up.

• Like 2

Drewp- As an avid snowboarder who has been injured quite a bit I feel for you man. Keep working towards your goal and push your self. My mom had a major stroke at 31 years old, the left side of her body was basically dead. She could not walk or talk and the DRs said it would never happen, but through PT and stubbornness not only did she learn to walk and talk today she lives on her own. She lives a more or less normal life and can walk with just a cane and yes I have had her to the range. Keep fighting and you will overcome!

I'd like to offer any assistance I can. If you want to go to any range and try some of my handguns, I do have some .22lr handguns that might be a good starting point. I'm a member of EFGA and can guest you in there or I'm willing to travel to a range that's near you if EFGA is to far. Whatever you need just let me.know I'd love to help.

On a side note your post made me go and order a helmet for snowboarding, I'm a dad now so I guses it's time to be a little safer.

• Like 1

Thanks all for the advice, support and good wishes! Actually the range master at my home range (SOuth Jersey shooting club) offered to give me some pointers. Yea, it's like I had a stroke...I'm weak on the whole right side. I guess it's getting better for at first, I couldn't use that side at all! And fishnet..YES, wear a helmet! Even though I WAS wearing one. I plan to get to the range when it gets a bit warmer ( it's outdoors). I used to shoot a 9mm as well as multiple long guns. Meanwhile I'm still going to look into what I can use in the yard. Another toy??

Hey, here's another question. My 9mm is kind of heavy. Especially since I'd now be only shooting with one hand. It's all metal. I've been looking into some of the "compacts" out there using more composites/plastic. Ie the Ruger American. What do you guys think/recommend? At this point I'm not into impressing with the size of my handgun. What's involved with exchanging my current handgun? Do I have to go through the whole permitting process again? Thanks.

Sorry for so many questions BUT since my accident, I have to wear glasses to see correctly. Will these meet the need of eye protection? What do guys who wear glasses do? Also, I saw a laser round that I can insert in my 9mm. Similar to what I used to sight new optics on my AR. It shoots to a special "laser target". Kind of expensive. Did anybody ever use anything like this?

I'd just use the pistol you have. All other things being equal a lighter pistol will have more felt recoil. One of my favorite pistols is the S&W 659. It's all steel and weighs almost twice as much as a Glock 19. Lighter pistols bring about limp wristing issues if you don't have a strong grip.

Take your choice. Lighter pistol is easier to hold. Heavier pistol is easier to shoot. Get a hand exerciser to build up muscle in both arms and hands. If you have a long commute leave one in your car can do it several times a day.

If you want another handgun in NJ you have to go through the permit process again. If you trade it in to a dealer, he'll give you about half of what it's worth. Post it for sale on the forum and you can get more for it and the buyer can save vs going to a dealer. Selling to a dealer is more convenient. Just like a car.

Regular glasses don't meet the same requirements as safety glasses. They will do but you need sideshields. Safety glass prescription glasses cost only a few dollars more. If you have your prescription new lenses are pretty cheap.

You can also get inexpensive safety glasses that fit over your regular glasses. Double the protection but you only have 2 eyes.

Those laser training things are okay but they get useless quickly IMO.

Just reading through this, I'm surprised no one mentioned Airsoft. You can get ones that closely mimic real guns. They use a gas propellant to shoot plastic pellets. You could certainly shoot one in your yard without pissing off your neighbors. They are readily available, and are still considered a toy under NJ law.

Just reading through this, I'm surprised no one mentioned Airsoft. You can get ones that closely mimic real guns. They use a gas propellant to shoot plastic pellets. You could certainly shoot one in your yard without pissing off your neighbors. They are readily available, and are still considered a toy under NJ law.

Yes and no.  Airsoft guns (the high quality gas blowbacks at least) mimic the weight of the real thing, but the balance is different as the weight can be more mag-heavy.

Also - Because of their resemblance to real firearms, be very careful when shooting outdoors - If your township has no discharge ordinances or you have NIMBY neighbors you can get in trouble REAL quick.

• Like 1