My x wife handled the taxes and had a guy who did them. He retired last year which was our last year filing joint. I've thought about doing them myself but I have never done it before. Maybe someone can recommend a good tax guy in the central jersey area.

My x wife handled the taxes and had a guy who did them. He retired last year which was our last year filing joint. I've thought about doing them myself but I have never done it before. Maybe someone can recommend a good tax guy in the central jersey area.

If your tax situation is fairly simple (a W2 and some 1099-INTs) then feel free to do it yourself.  Mint, HR Block, and Credit Karma all have free tax processing this year, just go to each of their respective sites.  They all have pretty straightforward guides to walk you through the process.

If your situation is more complex, a CPA is worth their cost.

• Like 1

think even turbo tax has an online thing as well.

I do my taxes for the family and the biz, and it's pretty straight forward, even with the investments. Really the hardest parts are the deductions, specifically you keeping accurate/detailed track of things that can legit be used as deductions. Pretty much everything else in life will give you a form to file with (W-2, 1099's of various types, etc.)

FreeTaxUSA is another that uses prompts to walk you through it.  Asks right upfront if you have any tax forms that cannot be done through online.  Really is simple with just W2s and 1099s.  Handles most of the Schedules as well.