Sign in to follow this  
wadezky

Help me pick a semi auto rifle

Hey all, looking for opinions. Just sold my S&W M&P sport 2 AR mostly because I bought it before the election just to have it, but never even shot it.

So I'm looking to replace it with something that I can actually take to the range and shoot and have fun with. What comes to mind first are the M&P 15-22 and the Kel Tec sub 2000. Can shoot them in an indoor range and they look fun.

Am I missing anything? Thoughts? I like the price range of them too....don't want to go the route of a CZ scorpion.

Thanks.

• Like 1

Lol. I know I know.

I prefer indoor ranges and none of them near me allow a 5.56......

I could do Ft Dix but just never got around to it. And they're cheap enough and plenty enough around that I can get another one whenever. Weak answer but its the best I got!

Hey all, looking for opinions. Just sold my S&W M&P sport 2 AR mostly because I bought it before the election just to have it, but never even shot it.

So I'm looking to replace it with something that I can actually take to the range and shoot and have fun with. What comes to mind first are the M&P 15-22 and the Kel Tec sub 2000. Can shoot them in an indoor range and they look fun.

Am I missing anything? Thoughts? I like the price range of them too....don't want to go the route of a CZ scorpion.

Thanks.

What is your budget for this rifle?

My recommendation is to get another AR15, but this time build it yourself.

Regards,

TokenEntry

Purpose would be just fun....going to the range and just having fun. Budget id like to stay $500 or under because its just going to be a "fun" gun. When I get another AR15 ill probably build it and budget won't matter.

Last time my brother and I went shooting the guy next to is let us try his Kel Tec sub 2000 and my brother loved it so much he went right to the counter and bought one.....thats kind of what I want.

T-Bill I apologize in advance. :sorry:

If your looking for a inexpensive fun gun at half you're budget I recommend the HI Point 995TS. 9mm Carbine <Other calibers available.  Picked up one on Sportsman Guide for $250. They come with a Life time warranty.   

Its a lot of fun, accurate out of the box.  NOT GOING TO WIN ANY BEAUTY CONTESTS.

Put 200 rounds through it this past Thursday no issues.  

I originally picked it up for my little guy to shoot while at the range, but I had a great time with it.

If you are going to get an AR, I'd skip the .22 version. Either get a conversion or a dedicated upper. Yes, cost is about the same... but you are utilizing the same lower/trigger. Actually, I'd spend the $100ish and get a stripped lower now.

For a pistol caliber carbine, I can recommend either the Beretta CX4 or the KelTec SUB-2000 (if possible, the Gen 2). Have any pistols that could take magazines for either?

I picked up my CX4 back when they first came out... used (mine is sub 750 serial number). 9mm version, which was paired with my 92 Brigadier Inox... and then my PX4 when I got it a few years later. Gun is solid, and never has an issue. Some complain about the trigger, but it worked for me for years (I did get a SierraPapa trigger/hammer kit). The best investment is the SierraPapa recoil assembly. If you disassemble the gun with the hammer down, you can break the guide rod where the buffer connects, making the gun inoperable. The SierraPapa one has a slip off buffer, just in case you make that mistake (pinned by the back of the lower, so not an issue).

IMG_0484.jpg

The KelTec is a good weapon, but can be hard to get. I got the nickel boron version in .40, taking the M&P magazines (I have two M&P40s). Only issue with the Gen 2 is you have to get the barrel nut pinned. Kind of a pain, but it is a very compact gun when folded. The design of the Gen 2 is so much more capable out of the box over the Gen 1, especially with the forend. The .40 is a little more finicky than the 9mm... but I got a heavy bolt from KelTec and a Sumo charging handle to increase weight (not shown).

A6F03D89-2D62-4B05-9C24-9BBAAB671C0B_zps

Your other option is to do a pistol caliber AR. I had Macon Armory do a .45 D/I upper, which I built into a sub 7-pound rifle. Uses H&K USC magazines, but they are supposed to be releasing 15 round magazines in their (Macon Armory) new design.

DB96C319-1902-4A80-B7C9-5A05FE8C05DC_zps

E6401E6F-1987-4111-BD80-01B7B517E442_zps

27CA5F52-0FDA-444F-8463-ADA87E642082_zps

If you want to get unique, I can also recommend a Henry 1860 clone (prefer the Uberti one, which I have the steel frame in .45 Colt). Another good platform is the Ruger .44 Carbine... the tube fed one. That is a gun you'd have to pickup used, but is a great gun.

Other 9MM carbines are made by JR Carbine, Thureon, and TNW, all take Glock mags.  I know you can change calibers in the JR carbine line with their different kits they sell (40SW and 45ACP).  They accept AR15 platform trigger groups and hanguards as well.

I wouldn't rule out a Ruger 10/22 if you just want to plink and work on your marksmanship.  If you want to trick it out later on and make it a bench shooter, you can do that too.

I tend to bring mine to the range and practice shooting 5 shots into a 1 inch square at 25 yards at the end of whatever I'm doing at the range.

image002.jpg

Another vote for the 10/22...I have two - an older standard, and a newer take-down model. 

The standard is an excellent .22 rifle; but there's something about that take-down...not sure what; but I really like it

Seen on Facebook:

Tanner's - Jameson PA

Another Crazy Sale

Ruger 1022 22lr Carbine

$189

We have 40 of these coming in early next week.

If you would like to reserve one you can either stop in the store with a deposit or you can send us a email [email protected] and we can put you on the pre order list.

Layaway
90 days with a $50 deposit

We can ship to a licensed dealer for $25

We also have on sale the factory 10rd mags for $9.99 and the BX-25 25rd mags for $19.99

Model Number: 1151 Caliber: 22 LR 
StockBlack Synthetic
Front SightGold Bead
Rear SightAdjustable
MaterialAlloy Steel
Twist1:16" RH
Capacity10
FinishSatin Black
Weight5 lb. 
Overall Length37"
Barrel Length18.50"
Grooves6
Suggested Retail$309.00 
Patented, detachable 10-round rotary magazine features a unique rotor to separate cartridges and provide reliable feeding. 
Legendary action, a tried and true Ruger design, ensures consistent, reliable performance. 
Easy-to-use extended magazine release provides smooth, no-fuss removal of flush-mounted magazine. 
Positive, push-button, cross-bolt manual safety. 
Combination scope base adapter for both Weaver-style and .22 tip-off scope mounts included. 
Cold hammer-forged barrel is locked into the receiver by a unique, two-screw, V-block system. 
Heat-stabilized, glass-filled, polymer trigger housing assembly is precision made of high-tech material for improved manufacturing tolerances, impact and abrasion-resistance and an unmatched ability to withstand the elements.

Tanners Sports Center is a licensed FFL dealer and we follow all Federal and State laws. Must be 18 years old to purchase and be able to pass the PA back ground check

17200959_1393550097333126_29087833153018

LikeShow more reactions
Commen

All great ideas guys. Shot my brothers Kel Tec sub 2000 today but it almost seemed a little "short". Felt like I couldnt get my eye lined up with the sights in a comfortable position....almost need a few more inches for comfort.

I follow Tanners on FB and saw that Ruger1022, along with them also having Ruger 5.56 on sale for $499 too....of course, because I just sold my 5.56 because there's nowhere near me where I can really shoot it...and now I want the Ruger. I'm sick.

Guy at work has a SW 15-22 and gonna shoot with him this weekend. I'm definitely gonna look at all the suggestions here- some great ideas.

All great ideas guys. Shot my brothers Kel Tec sub 2000 today but it almost seemed a little "short". Felt like I couldnt get my eye lined up with the sights in a comfortable position....almost need a few more inches for comfort.

Gen 1 or Gen 2?

You can get an extended pad for both, I believe. But the Gen 2 can adjust the position of the stock in three positions. I leave mine all the way out.

I worded it wrong.....I know it can be pinned but I meant id rather try to buy one that's already NJ compliant IF they even make one. If id have to use my FFL and gunsmith then so be it. Just easier to me to buy it already in compliance. Just my opinion....I'm lazy about it!