Dave2

Muzzle Device legality

Steve did my X95 so, maybe not all are NJ legal. I know I was looking for a NJ model but none were around. Besides Steve said screw that useless brake. Lol.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I do deter people from buying the compliant model. I feel IWI took the quick and easy way to make it compliant for all states include those which needed the extra length for legality. NJ does not need it and there is no point in a 4" muzzle brake on a rifle that is desired because its short :)

• Like 2

I do deter people from buying the compliant model. I feel IWI took the quick and easy way to make it compliant for all states include those which needed the extra length for legality. NJ does not need it and there is no point in a 4" muzzle brake on a rifle that is desired because its short :)

Cause short rifles matter! [emoji12]

I use these muzzle devices on all my 14.5" carbines.

https://store.ar15.com/product.html?cat=108&pr=650

Inexpensive. Effective. Great solution.

This is the long comp installed on a 14.5" Colt 6944 upper.

post-2136-0-41675900-1489146286_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

It's a rifle - They are loud.

It's a brake - They are blasty.

There is no free lunch.

The less blasty, the less effective.

Wow! You busted my balls when I said that not too long ago. Hmmmm... [emoji848]

You want blasty? Get a Jerry Miculek Brake, fire a few rounds at the range and ask the guy next to you, "Was that good for you, it was good for me!"  See what he says.  Betcha it ain't Merry Christmas!

You sure it was me John?

Yup, when the thread was about loud blasts at a range and blast shields were discussed. [emoji57]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The blast shield isn't for the range. The blast shield is for live fire work in a shoothouse or conducting team tactics.

My stance has always been guns are loud. Shooting guns indoors at a range is louder.

Team movement, CQB, FISHing is different. Muzzle blast is dangerous, to the point it is distracting at the least and can cause permanent injury or death in severe instances.

The blast shield isn't for the range. The blast shield is for live fire work in a shoothouse or conducting team tactics.

My stance has always been guns are loud. Shooting guns indoors at a range is louder.

Team movement, CQB, FISHing is different. Muzzle blast is dangerous, to the point it is distracting at the least and can cause permanent injury or death In sever instances.

I know that. But it happened to be part of the thread. Mentioned it for the thread reference. I said something to the affect, ranges are loud and to tell the complainers, get over it. Pretty much what you said. No matter. I'll let ya slide on this one. [emoji6]

PS: I use it at the range when shooting my Tavor from the bench. Otherwise the brake throws everything off the bench. Standing, no issues without. Could care less who bitches about noise.

John, it was bothering me, I found the thread. Yeah it reads like that. Bad comms on my part. I agree with you - guns are loud - as everyone that shoots should know. Neighbors at the range should get over it when discussing ARs at an indoor range.

In a class when in very close proximity to other shooters, team tactics, CQB, etc. or in an environment with lots of reflective surfaces nearby and unconventional positions i.e.: around vehicles and barricades, or a facility using more than one downrange direction - such as a shoothouse or pit - different story. You have to be cognizant of muzzle blast. That's where the Warden shines.

• Like 1

John, it was bothering me, I found the thread. Yeah it reads like that. Bad comms on my part. I agree with you - guns are loud - as everyone that shoots should know. Neighbors at the range should get over it when discussing ARs at an indoor range.

In a class when in very close proximity to other shooters, team tactics, CQB, etc. or in an environment with lots of reflective surfaces nearby and unconventional positions i.e.: around vehicles and barricades, or a facility using more than one downrange direction - such as a shoothouse or pit - different story. You have to be cognizant of muzzle blast. That's where the Warden shines.

They bitch at outdoor ranges too. Tuff nuts!

Thats where a lot of them shine. Surefire stuff is a pain in the balls to find. I went with the Fortis because of it. Works just as good.

Can't beat the combo price and functionality.

https://www.rainierarms.com/fortis-control-shield-and-muzzle-brake-5-56-bundle-pack

I've been looking at one of those blast shields for my next build. Trying to decide between Surefire and Gemtech options. Trying to do a little research and see who makes better suppressors so when I eventually get out of NJ, Ill be able to pick one up.

I've been looking at one of those blast shields for my next build. Trying to decide between Surefire and Gemtech options. Trying to do a little research and see who makes better suppressors so when I eventually get out of NJ, Ill be able to pick one up.

Not sure any of the shield models will accept cans. Surefire would. Not sure which models would. That is HEs dept.

I researched them all and found the best options and bang for the buck, were Fortis. I believe they are also working closely with other companies so they can make compatible devices across brands.

I have them on my X95.

Surefires are a pain to find in stock. Otherwise I would have prob got them.

Look at it this way, pinning does not mean they cannot be removed. Just not removed with improper tools.

870b4d3a3726e0d8a9a1a8516ec6a6e9.jpg

28e5bbf055f4c1ed64e34be33bcc71e7.jpg

I will look into the Fortis mounts.

The Gemtech and Surefire brakes both double as suppressor mounts. Not 100% sure but I think Surefire changes there mounting design every couple years so newer suppressors wont fit on older muzzle brakes. Gemtechs suppressor mounting design seems to remain the same so I'm leaning toward that one. Im not concerned about removing the brake after its pinned but if I can make the smarter decision now, I wont need to change it and waste $100+ on buying a new brake.