mikeyjones

Concealed Carry while Skiing

So I usually go out west a few times a year for ski trips (usually CO and UT).  Never really thought about bringing a gun before, but am kicking around the idea of bringing something with me when I go out to UT next in a few weeks.  I have my UT permit, so no legal issues.

From a practicality standpoint, has anyone actually tried concealing a gun while skiing?  It doesn't seem like there's a safe way to do it and have easily accessible - thereby killing the prospect of it being useful.  

Any suggestions? I think this might be DOA, but am soliciting opinions.

I left it in the car when I went snow tubing. I ran into the same issues. There was no way to properly secure my firearm and have it accessible. If I had a pocket pistol (G26 size) I would have put it in a small holster inside a zippered pocket.

I'm as big a proponent of self-protection and armed defense as anyone, but in reality, you don't hear about a lot of people being accosted on ski slopes.

Agreed just go skiing and have fun and not worry about being jumped in the lift line. The only angry or mean people you will meet on the slopes are tourists from the east coast who can't ski powder.... and they won't be armed.

This is silly. Just carry it like you always do. If you are wearing a ski suit, yeah, maybe it won't come out as fast. But chances are you'll be happy you had it if you needed it. If some whacko or criminal starts shooting or robbing people it may not be an immediate gun in your face scenario. Would you rather have a gun or not have one?

If you are worried about falling on it, well, you can fall on rocks, slam into trees, or simply break your leg if you are doing it right and pushing the limits. That's what skiing is about. Do you leave your keys and phone in the car?

Ski suits also have external pockets. Consider a pocket gun. They are useful for more than skiing. You can keep your hand on them ready to draw in everyday life, without drawing attention, and they will be presented faster than anything else as such.

I don't consider being armed a liability, even if it is not the most ideal measure, and even if I fail. You ever heard of your life flashing before your eyes? I don't want that to be about all the guns I own but left home. Whether they would have made a difference or not. I don't want to die feeling like a dumbass. Or watch my family die while I can't even try. That will never happen.

• Like 3

Only reason I have never brought mine is because I don't want to fall on it and hurt myself. I've fallen on my elbow and broken ribs before I learned how to fall properly. I do ride quite a bit more aggressive than most people do and plan on falling hard everytime I ride. I also leave my wallet, keys and cellphone in the car. All I need for a day of snowboarding is my ID and some cash for the bar.

I'm as big a proponent of self-protection and armed defense as anyone, but in reality, you don't hear about a lot of people being accosted on ski slopes.  

Snow bunnies can be brutal, but a firearm is not the protection you would need.

• Like 1

A jframe in a holster in a zippered outer jacket pocket works well for this purpose. Doesn't impede skiing at all, and I've fallen with one quite a bit. Make sure the gun won't clear the holster during falls.

I don't go as hard as fishnut though, so if you do that might be different.

I'm headed up to Vermont next month and liking my constitutional rights, I have the same question.  Aside from HE's pack suggestion, nobody else carries while skiing?  OK but if I bring my pistol on the trip, what do I do with it while skiing if not carrying?  Doesn't seem like a good idea to leave it in the room (staying overnight multi-nights), or just leave it locked in the room safe?

I'll be traveling from NJ to VT up 287/87 through NY state (avoiding NYC) so as long as I follow FOPA I'm ok?

I bring my own safe and keep it locked up in my vehicle and stash the ammo in the room or backpack. 

Follow FOPA and don't drive like an idiot and you will be good to go. 

What mountain you going to? 

WTF!!!
CCW a handgun while skiing is absolutely paranoid and incredibly stupid....  
Do you really think you need to be armed while skiing...?
Also, when you enviably fall down on the slopes, what could possibly go wrong...???

Follow fishnut's advice and leave it locked in your vehicle, ideally in a locked gun safe in your trunk.

2 minutes ago, AVB-AMG said:

CCW while skiing is absolutely paranoid and incredibly stupid....  What could possibly go wrong...???

Follow fishnuts advice and leave it locked in your vehicle.

Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it. 

FWIW the main reason I don't carry while riding (snowboarding) is because I go hard. Jumps, rails, out of bounds ect and it would really hurt to fall on my pistol and I fall every time i ride. If I was to just leisurely ride on trail down the mountain I would have no issue with keeping my j frame in my jacket pocket.

That and I've been known to drink quite a few adult beverages while on the mountain. Lol

1 hour ago, AVB-AMG said:

CCW while skiing is absolutely paranoid and incredibly stupid....  What could possibly go wrong...???

Follow fishnuts advice and leave it locked in your vehicle.

I lived in Vermont for years and went skiing a lot.  Nothing happens up on the hills.  The areas are pretty much clear of any wildlife so predators know to stay away.  Especially with the big groomer machines and snowmaking.  Bears stay away too - never has been a bear attack at a ski resort I've ever heard of in Vermont.

On 3/8/2017 at 10:00 AM, Smokin .50 said:

I was goin' to make a funny crack about playing James Bond music as you hide yer PPK in your front jacket pocket, but Mipa took the theme song outta my sails, lol!

Duran Duran?

I don't want to carry while skiing, I just want to have it with me in VT and want to understand the best place to keep it while skiing if not carrying.  Sounds like locked in the car in a safe is the best bet.

Going to Okemo.

2 minutes ago, tomk62 said:

I don't want to carry while skiing, I just want to have it with me in VT and want to understand the best place to keep it while skiing if not carrying.  Sounds like locked in the car in a safe is the best bet.

Going to Okemo.

I would get a small portable safe with a cable so you can lock it to the frame or a hardpoint in the car.

https://www.fieldsupply.com/stack-on-portable-safe-w-key-lock-black.html

• Like 3