blksheep

CCW Equipment

Great addition to the forum. Quality gear goes a long way when carrying. Nothing like buying a $500 gun and a $10 holster.

So many Kydex companies now, but Raven, Bravo and F3 holsters are nice. I have seen Titans work and its very nice as well.

Belts are another thing to consider. I use 5.11 belts.

Just ordered some Blue Force Gear single mag belt pouch to carry extra mags.

IWB is the way to go. I usually carry a small Surefire EB1 light on my support side in addition to the light on the gun.

I've been looking at non-appendix IWB holsters and here's my take so far ...

• Crossbreed: I really like the style, however it seems like over time the leather stretches and does not retain the pistol so well, the kydex is bolted directly to the leather so it's not easy to change, the leather doesn't breath so it gets sweaty, and the leather top part eventually softens and flops over the holster which might hamper re-holstering.
  • StealthGear: corrects the sweating problem with a breathable and rigid fabric
  • Alien Gear: really don't care for the name, corrects the Crossbreed problems with a neoprene/rigid type material, removable kydex, and about half the price of the StealthGear. 

What am I missing?

• Crossbreed: I really like the style, however it seems like over time the leather stretches and does not retain the pistol so well, the kydex is bolted directly to the leather so it's not easy to change, the leather doesn't breath so it gets sweaty, and the leather top part eventually softens and flops over the holster which might hamper re-holstering.
  • StealthGear: corrects the sweating problem with a breathable and rigid fabric
  • Alien Gear: really don't care for the name, corrects the Crossbreed problems with a neoprene/rigid type material, removable kydex, and about half the price of the StealthGear.
What am I missing?

Those three are all good. We could go on for days with other companies.

As I look to expand on my non-resident CCWs, I have began accumulating my gear. Right now the gun of choice is a G19 gen 4. I find Ozarks Holster Company to be of great quality, even over some of the popular ones mentioned here in this thread. I do a right handed IWB and a 15 degree cant. What I like most about his work is he gets rid of all the excess kydex around the edges and there are no squared off or pointed edges on the holster. They fit gun perfect and hold it well in place. I also have a 1.5 inch 5.11 instructors belt.

Highly recommend Ozarks holsters, only downside is the wait time as they are made to order.

I always seem to go back to Blade-Tech..... love the quality and the fit for me

Blade-Tech are good, but there are a ton of other companies that do nicer holsters.

NSR Tactical

Slate Creek Tactical

Pitbull Tactical

Give them a shot Troy

What am I missing?

While I love Kydex for competition, leather is the way to go for concealed carry - specifically, Milt Sparks VM II. Worth the wait and the money.

JMHO

Adios,

Pizza Bob

While I love Kydex for competition, leather is the way to go for concealed carry - specifically, Milt Sparks VM II. Worth the wait and the money.

Can you elaborate?  What are you getting for 3x the cost of the Alien Gear?

Can you elaborate?  What are you getting for 3x the cost of the Alien Gear?

Quality materials and workmanship. I've had knock-offs of this design and they have never been as comfortable to wear. Well thought-out design. Distributes the weight over a broad area. Smooth draw after break-in (plastic bag for one or two days). Great retention without any external devices. No hard edges against your pants or you body. I own four of them and wore them regularly until Kane screwed things up.

I'm a Kydex-only kind of guy.  After years of carrying in a hybrid holster (Comp Tac MTAC), the 1/4" thick leather was too easy to deform for my liking.  These days, I carry my M&P full size with a U-boat on it in a RCS VG3 AIWB all day, every day on a stiffened Nylon rigger's belt.  If I'm going somewhere where I can carry OWB but still concealed under a jacket, the M&P/U-boat goes into my Peters Custom Holsters Spada.  Greg does the Kydex bending thing on the side but is good people and makes a quality holster.  Not all Kydex holsters are equal either.  There are plenty that have too extreme of a bend, too thin of material, or other issue that doesn't present itself until after some use when repetitive flexing is introduced.  I've seen plenty of cracked and broken Kydex holsters that people bought because the holsters were cheap or hyped on social media.  Do as much research on your holster and support gear as you do on your blaster.

What position to place the iwb holster? For both standing and sitting in a chair or car

Is that addressed to me? Holster at 3:30 - 4:00. Accessible while seated in my car - but you have to understand, I have a lot of waistline to utilize  :icon_mrgreen:

• Like 1

What am I missing?

Crossbreed SuperTuck in horsehide. For the sweaty person like me.

Right now my main carry is a g26 in a k rounds llc pivot appendix holster. Good retention and draw when adjusted properly. My spare mag goes in a safariland model 123 horizontal holder. Very non assuming and easy to access.

If I want to carry my 1911 I use a milt sparks versa Max II. I'm currently looking for a new holster for my ppq

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Talcum powder or silicone spray

Or saddle wax. Or like the wax you put on your Leather Harley seats. [emoji3]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro