kotkot

AR 308 accuracy work

so I have new POF in 308 and it's grouping all over the place.  I tried different ammo (quality stuff) and my reloads and nothing is working. I am talking about 3-4 MOA and no consistency at all.

It could be me of course.. but I have no issues with my 223 shooting MOA no problem.  

So I am looking for someone who really knows what they are doing and go over the rifle/scope set up and either

1. tell me that I am an idiot and can't shoot for shit  (I;d like to see their target)

2. tell me WTF is wrong with the rifle and hopefully fix it.

last time i was out at 200 yard range, guy next port to me (he was shooting pretty decently)  tried my set up and had same result as me..

that rifle is certainly capable of MOA level work and I need local verification before I send it back to POF (if there is somehting wrong with it)   

makes sense?

Assuming you've eliminated the scope and mount/rings as possible culprits, my guess would be either a bad barrel or a loose barrel.

nothing shakes as far as I can tell :)  trigger is Giselle, scope is Vortex PST 2/5x10 in ADM mount.. so no cheap stuff here.

I do have bit of free play in the stock and upper to lower mating is not perfect.  barrel "seems" to be attached well.  but I am not a gunsmith... 

nothing shakes as far as I can tell :)  trigger is Giselle, scope is Vortex PST 2/5x10 in ADM mount.. so no cheap stuff here.

I do have bit of free play in the stock and upper to lower mating is not perfect.  barrel "seems" to be attached well.  but I am not a gunsmith... 

The stock and upper/lower fit won't matter if you're preloading the rifle properly.  To rule out the optic, try swapping another setup on and see if the accuracy improves.  If unchanged, there's a problem with the rifle somewhere and it should go back to POF.

waiting for weather to improve to try different optic set up...but I would really think some one local should take a good look at it and shoot it.  eliminating shooter variable is important as well I think.

waiting for weather to improve to try different optic set up...but I would really think some one local should take a good look at it and shoot it.  eliminating shooter variable is important as well I think.

You said you had someone else shoot it already and duplicated the results though?

You said you had someone else shoot it already and duplicated the results though?

I did.  what concerns me is that I am discovering that there is a different shooting technique for big semiautos.   guy that tried my rifle was shooting bolt.  so I am just not convinced  he was proper guy to eliminate shooter variable,  

I did.  what concerns me is that I am discovering that there is a different shooting technique for big semiautos.   guy that tried my rifle was shooting bolt.  so I am just not convinced  he was proper guy to eliminate shooter variable,  

Oh yes, gas guns require a bit of a different approach to shoot well.  Consistent preloading is probably what I struggle with most followed by trigger followthrough.

so I have new POF in 308 and it's grouping all over the place.  I tried different ammo (quality stuff) and my reloads and nothing is working. I am talking about 3-4 MOA and no consistency at all.

It could be me of course.. but I have no issues with my 223 shooting MOA no problem.  

So I am looking for someone who really knows what they are doing and go over the rifle/scope set up and either

1. tell me that I am an idiot and can't shoot for shit  (I;d like to see their target)

2. tell me WTF is wrong with the rifle and hopefully fix it.

last time i was out at 200 yard range, guy next port to me (he was shooting pretty decently)  tried my set up and had same result as me..

that rifle is certainly capable of MOA level work and I need local verification before I send it back to POF (if there is somehting wrong with it)   

makes sense?

Have you tried different weight bullets?  I did a quick look at the POF site and it seems their barrels are 1:10 twist.  My understanding of 1:10 twist is you'll get the better accuracy out of 175 gr or heavier bullets.

I did.   same pattern.. which is no pattern.   my research shows semi autos dont like rounds that are too hot.. so Federal Gold Match should be perfect. and I tried 168 and 175 and my custom loads with 150 and 168 Hornady bullets with same crappy result.

Heres the deal. My neighboor got a pof 308 ar. Patriot model i think. First 1-200 rounds. Not bad moa. Then it all went to hell. We tried all types and bullet weights. 3-4 moa. He sent it back to pof. It comes back with basically everything new other than the lower and upper. New buffer new buffer spring new barrel and its still not that great. Send it back. Their qc must have high turnover. And what you said. The consistency was all over the place. Sounds exactly like what he went through.