orangesolo

Looking to buy an AK!

Wanting to see if this AK is legal. Since it doesn't say "NJ Complaint" my question is probably answered, but what is not legal about it? Just by looking at it, obviously the magazine & most likely the brake? If anyone can confirm, thank you!

Here is the link - https://www.classicfirearms.com/amd-63-7-62x39-rifle-with-solid-stock-phoenix-stock-type2

I'd actually go with a factory built AK variant rather than a parts kit build (referring to the AMD). If you want to dip your toes into the AK world without spending too much, go with a WASR 10. 

https://www.atlanticfirearms.com/component/virtuemart/shipping-rifles/cai-ak-47-wasr-10-7-62x39mm-rifle-detail.html?Itemid=0

I'd actually go with a factory built AK variant rather than a parts kit build (referring to the AMD). If you want to dip your toes into the AK world without spending too much, go with a WASR 10. 

https://www.atlanticfirearms.com/component/virtuemart/shipping-rifles/cai-ak-47-wasr-10-7-62x39mm-rifle-detail.html?Itemid=0

I would rather get one that's factory built also, but I'm not a fan of wood furniture. Is the AK platform somewhat easily customized? Also I see that the wasr-10 is $670. My budget is up to 8-900 so if there's any more out there, please inform me :) . I am also researching to, but the more help the merrier! 

I'm building one and the Nodak Spud receiver is a really nice piece. The parts kit is reasonable and I was tossing the furniture, the gas block, muzzle device and trigger anyway.

I would rather get one that's factory built also, but I'm not a fan of wood furniture. Is the AK platform somewhat easily customized? Also I see that the wasr-10 is $670. My budget is up to 8-900 so if there's any more out there, please inform me :) . I am also researching to, but the more help the merrier! 

The AKM pattern (http://bit.ly/2mFb6vi) rifle is very customizable. 

One of the benefits of the WASR is that your getting a factory built rifle that is both reliable and has the ability to be customized/improved as you become more familiar with the platform.

If you want a WASR, then I'd suggest buying it through Atlantic Firearms since a) they do a basic QC check before they ship the gun to your FFL and b) they are very easy to deal with if you find anything wrong during your own inspection before completing the transfer paperwork.

I've had my WASR for a few years and I've never had any issues with it at all (sights are straight and it eats pretty much any ammo that I put through it) after about 800 rounds. I didn't like the stock furniture that it came with so I've swapped it out for a mix of Polish surplus laminate and a couple pieces of Magpul

If you want to increase your budget a little (~$1k), then go with a VEPR. These guns are built like tanks and have a heavier profile barrel and thicker receiver than the WASR. Atlantic Firearms has a fully converted model that gets good reviews but can be a bit hard to get (they sell out almost as soon as they're listed): http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/component/virtuemart/shipping-rifles/fm-ak47-11-detail.html?Itemid=0

You can still pick them up for around that price. I saw a CA-compliant one for $719.

What about the gun itself?

I had a C39V2 for awhile but I never warmed up to it for a number of reasons. I eventually sold it and bought an Arsenal SAM7 milled AK. It's a bit more money than the Century gun but it's miles apart in terms of construction. My advice is pass up the C39 and get a SAM.

The only modification that I made to my SAM was to replace the NATO length poly stock with a Warsaw length surplus stock and added a VFG to my rail. The length of pull on the NATO length stock was too long for me and I like to scrunch up tight behind the receiver for a decent sight picture through the iron sights

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had a C39V2 for awhile but I never warmed up to it for a number of reasons. I eventually sold it and bought an Arsenal SAM7 milled AK. It's a bit more money than the Century gun but it's miles apart in terms of construction. My advice is pass up the C39 and get a SAM.

The only modification that I made to my SAM was to replace the NATO length poly stock with a Warsaw length surplus stock and added a VFG to my rail. The length of pull on the NATO length stock was too long for me and I like to scrunch up tight behind the receiver for a decent sight picture through the iron sights

I will look into the SAM then, thanks. I prefer a wood stock if that's available. It's important after all that the gun match my tee-shirt. 

I will look into the SAM then, thanks. I prefer a wood stock if that's available. It's important after all that the gun match my tee-shirt. 

SAM7s come with poly furniture from the factory but it's easy enough to swap that out with a surplus wood buttstock. It took me about an hour to do it (it took a good bit of sanding in order to get the fit just right). 

Nice, I am looking at arsenal currently too. I would rather spend a few hundred more on something a million times more durable

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Thanks for the advice. After extensive research and reading nothing but stellar reviews I ordered Arsenal's NJ-compliant rifle. A bit of a splurge, and departure for me from the mil-surp/antique purgatory I've been operating in, but I'm positive I'll have no regrets with this purchase.

• Like 1

Thanks for the advice. After extensive research and reading nothing but stellar reviews I ordered Arsenal's NJ-compliant rifle. A bit of a splurge, and departure for me from the mil-surp/antique purgatory I've been operating in, but I'm positive I'll have no regrets with this purchase.

Congrats - I think that you made the right choice. The build quality of the SAM7 is miles apart from the C39. Post pics when you get it

It was in stock?? Where did you buy it from. I checked arsenal's website and they are out. Don't know where else to look.

It was in stock?? Where did you buy it from. I checked arsenal's website and they are out. Don't know where else to look.

Bought it from Arsenal. Shipped a couple of days ago. I will not pick it up until I decide on my last final ultimate handgun so I only pay for NICS once.

Bought it from Arsenal. Shipped a couple of days ago. I will not pick it up until I decide on my last final ultimate handgun so I only pay for NICS once.

Wtf.. I have been checking for like the past week. It has never shown in stock for me, what bs. Guess i'll just have to wait till it comes back in..

I had a dude ine time tell me if you spend more than $500 for an AK you might as well just buy an AR.They were meant to be cheap and reliable.

I had a long AK/AR thread going a while back. Got a lot of great information. I did a lot of research and thinking. Decided to get a well-built AK because 1) I'm not that interested in modifying 2) I already have a bunch of x39 ammo 3) the round is plenty powerful and accurate for what will amount to a fun-gun 4) I play the Kalashnikov Sicilian defense as black in chess, not the Armalite Rifle defense and 4) I have an AK tee-shirt not an AR tee-shirt. I did not feel like buying a new tee-shirt. As you know collecting tee shirts can get expensive.

• Like 3

On 3/19/2017 at 4:56 PM, Newtonian said:

I had a long AK/AR thread going a while back. Got a lot of great information. I did a lot of research and thinking. Decided to get a well-built AK because 1) I'm not that interested in modifying 2) I already have a bunch of x39 ammo 3) the round is plenty powerful and accurate for what will amount to a fun-gun 4) I play the Kalashnikov Sicilian defense as black in chess, not the Armalite Rifle defense and 4) I have an AK tee-shirt not an AR tee-shirt. I did not feel like buying a new tee-shirt. As you know collecting tee shirts can get expensive.

Hey Newt, I've been thinking about picking up an AK in the near future and had been deciding between the C39V2 and the SAM7R...have you had a chance to shoot alot of rounds with your SAM7R? Hows it holding up?  

I've only taken it out twice. It's a great gun -- very accurate, almost no recoil -- but IMO a bit over-built. (Note I am not an expert on guns).

Plus the week after I bought it the manufacturer had a sale :( In retrospect I should have waited for a more retro-style with a milled receiver and a wood stock, which is more my style as an SKS enthusiast.

I've seen tons of ads for AK-style rifles lately. It's a buyer's market. Ask around the forums for testimonials. 

• Like 1

Having owned both the C39V2 and the SAM7, my advice is to go with the SAM if you really want a milled AK pattern rifle.

I've put about 700 rounds through my SAM and I've had zero issues. I put a Primary Arms 1-6x scope on it using an RS Regulate mount since the earlier post that I added to this thread and it gets consistent 2.5" groups at 200 yards with Wolf and Golden Tiger ammo (with the occasional flier that is probably my fault). It's become one of my favorite guns to take to the range

• Like 1

I don't have the SAM, so I can't compare, but I have a Saiga and a CR39V and I love them both.  I like the traditional wood look on my AK's, even though most of my other rifles are black polymer.  I have cheap Primary Arms RDS's on both of them.  I'm able to make head shots at 100 yards with cheap Russian ammo, and I'm not even very good.  

Now I fear I'm going to end up having to get the SAM7.