DanMarvel

Polymer 80 legal in NJ?

So...I drive out to PA, set up my drill press, and finish this thing.   Can I then legally bring it back home to NJ?  Forget the complicated transport laws.  I'm just asking about "taking possession" of a newly manufactured handgun that I manufactured.

So...I drive out to PA, set up my drill press, and finish this thing.   Can I then legally bring it back home to NJ?  Forget the complicated transport laws.  I'm just asking about "taking possession" of a newly manufactured handgun that I manufactured.

Yup. And some people have finished them just with dremels.

I believe it is legal to finish the frame in another state that allows personal firearms manufacture and then bring it back into NJ.

It is legal to possess a firearm in NJ that you legally acquired in another state without registration in NJ (registration is voluntary) or using a NJ Purchase Permit (only necessary for acquiring a handgun within NJ).

I don't see any practical difference, NJ law-wise, in finishing a polymer 80 frame out of state and returning to NJ with it vs. buying a bb pistol or black powder pistol in another state and returning to NJ with it.

Optional, but probably a good idea - get a serial # engraved into the unfinished frame before completing it. I'm contemplating 'FSCKWEINBERG001' for my serial #.

I plan to do just this, just waiting for a free weekend.  Anyone who'd like to coordinate a time/place to do them in PA, I'm all ears.

I assume if you are a nj resident and acquire/build the pistol out of state you would have to transfer it, use p2p.

Why?  You can go to Cabela's in PA, buy a bb pistol or a black powder pistol, both of which are considered handguns per NJ law, and return to NJ with them without needing a P2P.

P2P is only for acquiring a handgun *IN* NJ.  P2P's have no meaning for pistols legally acquired out of state.  Do people who move into NJ with pistols they acquired while residents of other states have to transfer them into NJ with P2P's?  Of course not.

My only concern is numbers. But , as my wife suggested. Mrsz00001 would be ok.

But not in this state for stamping or the 20%

I don't think stamping in NJ is verboten, as long as it's still an unfinished frame.  Until it's a finished frame, it's just a hunk of plastic.  Stamp it, engrave it, scratch it, mark it all you want while in NJ.

Why?  You can go to Cabela's in PA, buy a bb pistol or a black powder pistol, both of which are considered handguns per NJ law, and return to NJ with them without needing a P2P.

P2P is only for acquiring a handgun *IN* NJ.  P2P's have no meaning for pistols legally acquired out of state.  Do people who move into NJ with pistols they acquired while residents of other states have to transfer them into NJ with P2P's?  Of course not.

You're missing the key word "resident". 

I'm curious to which travel exemption will get it back to a NJ home from PA.

who cares. Don't drive like a idiot and if you do and get pulled over don't consent to a search. If the police get a warrent and search your vehicle you've got bigger problems. Or if you really want to abide by dumb laws you could go to a range in PA. Finish it in the parking lot and drive home from a range to your home.
  • Like 2

who cares. Don't drive like a idiot and if you do and get pulled over don't consent to a search. If the police get a warrent and search your vehicle you've got bigger problems. Or if you really want to abide by dumb laws you could go to a range in PA. Finish it in the parking lot and drive home from a range to your home.

so the travel exemption is coming home from a range. May work with a functioning handgun that you were able to build in PA and go to a range with (altho I doubt NJ would share that sentiment just because its NJ). Just a lower, maybe not. An argument could be made that the law doesnt say you HAVE to actually shoot the "firearm" at a range just be there, or maybe it does idk .....Just sounds like a dumb game to accomodate dumb laws and win dumb prizes. And the point of even having to worry about getting pulled over doesnt build confidence of the legitimacy of the whole operation. A little too sketchy for me but for anyone else have at it. And be sure to post pics here after its done.

cops won't know if you have dope in the car unless you get stopped and searched.

cops won't know if you have tons of cash in the car unless you get stopped and searched.

cops won't know if you have guns in the car unless you get stopped and searched.

etc.

here's a hint: don't do stupid shit that gets you stopped, and don't do stupid shit that gets you searched.

• Like 3

You're missing the key word "resident".

No, you're too focused on the word 'resident'.

If you legally acquired the firearm outside of NJ, and the firearm is otherwise legal to possess in NJ, then you don't have to do anything to bring it into NJ other than follow transport laws.

Manufacturing it in PA, whether a resident of PA or not, is legally acquiring the firearm.

• Like 1

No, you're too focused on the word 'resident'.

If you legally acquired the firearm outside of NJ, and the firearm is otherwise legal to possess in NJ, then you don't have to do anything to bring it into NJ other than follow transport laws.

Manufacturing it in PA, whether a resident of PA or not, is legally acquiring the firearm.

Have at it.  Bring it to the NJSP barracks and let me know how you make out.