DanMarvel

Polymer 80 legal in NJ?

Why would you show up at a police barracks with a handgun?  There is no mention of police barracks being an exempt location for handgun transport.

Didnt think Id have to dumb it down.....but the point is, if you are so confident that finishing a 80%-whatever is perfectly legal, you should be able to prove it.

Didnt think Id have to dumb it down.....but the point is, if you are so confident that finishing a 80%-whatever is perfectly legal, you should be able to prove it.

why? Can you prove it's illegal? Laws tell you what's illegal, if there is no law against it, it's legal.
  • Like 1

I'm still doubting the PA range trip travel exemption would legally help you get the finished lower-now firearm- back to your NJ home. The exemption states using the range "for the purpose of practice", not hanging out in the parking lot. That means shooting, not happening with a lower only. Not discussing about getting away with it by not driving stupid and getting pulled over, and the remote chance of search etc. Besides, that argument just infers that there is actually something to be worried about.

Dumbing what down?  The act of bringing any handgun into the police station would be illegal.  80% or not, it's a dumb comparison.  I think a more apt situation would be shooting a home invader with a handgun made from an 80% lower.  You'd probably have a much harder time with that in court.

As far as the illegality of the lower itself.   If you have no FPID and someone from another state leaves you all of their handguns in a will, you have now legally obtained those handguns.  You can legally bring them back into NJ, as long as they are NJ legal handguns, without registering them.  This is a similar situation.  You have legally obtained the firearm.  By the letter of the law, the firearm itself is not illegal, registration is voluntary, and as long as you are not a prohibited person, you have broken no laws.

Dumbing what down?  The act of bringing any handgun into the police station would be illegal.  80% or not, it's a dumb comparison.  I think a more apt situation would be shooting a home invader with a handgun made from an 80% lower.  You'd probably have a much harder time with that in court.

As far as the illegality of the lower itself.   If you have no FPID and someone from another state leaves you all of their handguns in a will, you have now legally obtained those handguns.  You can legally bring them back into NJ, as long as they are NJ legal handguns, without registering them.  This is a similar situation.  You have legally obtained the firearm.  By the letter of the law, the firearm itself is not illegal, registration is voluntary, and as long as you are not a prohibited person, you have broken no laws.

How is bringing a handgun into a police station for inspection illegal following NJ's guidelines of transport? 

You can spin it however you'd like, but replacing "manufacture" with "legally obtained" probably won't cut it in a courtroom.  If anyone has the want to do an 80% it's me, but the risk isn't worth the reward IMO.

How is bringing a handgun into a police station for inspection illegal following NJ's guidelines of transport? 

You can spin it however you'd like, but replacing "manufacture" with "legally obtained" probably won't cut it in a courtroom.  If anyone has the want to do an 80% it's me, but the risk isn't worth the reward IMO.

I've failed to find an instance where it says that bringing a firearm to a Police Station is okay.

http://lis.njleg.state.nj.us/cgi-bin/om_isapi.dll?clientID=190506&Depth=4&TD=WRAP&advquery=2C%3a39-6%20%20Exemptions&headingswithhits=on&infobase=statutes.nfo&rank=&record={1B5B}&softpage=Doc_Frame_Pg42&wordsaroundhits=2&x=27&y=17&zz=

Because some believe in obeying all laws.  Fastest way to get you killed.

Well, talking about it-any law- and obeying it are two different things......

There's only one way to settle it. Where's that phone # for the state firearms unit? :lol:

• Like 1

Bringing the completed lower to the State Police or any police agency would be stupid. Most police officers don't have a clue about the firearms laws. I've asked the NJSP firearms unit about the legalities of using a bullet button (so you could keep a threaded muzzle/flash hider) and they suggested I weld the receiver so the mag is permanent. They aren't there to offer legal advice, nor are they qualified to do so.

They would have to either look up the law themselves, or call the prosecutors office and run it by them.

This thread reminds me of previous discussions with other NJ gun owners, when they talked about banning something or reducing the magazine capacity from 15 to 10. Guys were more worried about how to turn their stuff in rather than thumb their nose at another unconstitutional law.

We have it bad enough here. If we follow the same path as NY or CA, I'm sure many will line up to hand over their stuff regardless if it was legal the week before.

If you have to think about what to do with an 80% lower/frame then it isn't for you. Buy one, put it away for a rainy day. There are plenty of factory Glocks to buy or stripped AR lowers with serial numbers that will set your mind at ease.

I'm more interested in if anyone has managed to build a Freedom Gun for close to the same price as an actual block gun. seems like no matter what I do there's at least a 200 freedom unit increase in total price.

I'm more interested in if anyone has managed to build a Freedom Gun for close to the same price as an actual block gun. seems like no matter what I do there's at least a 200 freedom unit increase in total price.

You pay more for freedom! Lol

I thought about building one, but I already have a couple Glocks, and have too many other firearms on my short list. If I got one it would be more of a novelty.

I'd like to hear if anyone built one though and how does the frame compare with an OEM Glock frame.

It would be interesting to know just how many completed 80%'ers are out there. And how scared the ATF is of that number.

Pretty sure anyone who has built one would never mention it here!! or any forum. 

I'd say very few. There are probably are a lot at the dump or in an unfinished configuration due to lack of skills.

BTW, the older version of the polymer80 frame (The Glock 17 version, not the newer Glock 19 version) is on sale at Brownells for $69.99:

http://www.brownells.com/handgun-parts/frame-parts/frames/80-polymer-pistol-frame-v-1-prod86658.aspx?avad=avant&aid=35987&cm_mmc=affiliate-_-Itwine-_-Avantlink-_-Custom+Link&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_source=Avantlink&utm_content=NA&utm_campaign=Itwine

Select options of Glock model 17, 9mm luger, and black to get the $69.99 price.

Bringing this one back from the dead.  Given the “ghost gun” laws that I understand advanced sometime back, what’s the current status?

if you buy the parts and take possssion in PA, is that an issue?

if you do the rest of the drilling/milling in PA, is that an issue?

if you put it together and test it in PA, is that an issue?

if you bring it back into NJ, is that an issue?

If you ordered non-restricted parts in NJ, and put them on is that an issue?

Do caliber exchange kits for Sig pistols become part of the concern here?

thanks!

If the gun is built legally in PA, and brought back to NJ... and complies with NJ law (not an “assault weapon”)... no issue. At least with current legislation.

That is sort of along the lines of me buying a C&R handgun in PA (legal, as I have an FFL-03), and bringing it back to NJ. No pistol permit is required, as the gun was acquired legally outside of NJ. Only issue would be if it was illegal in NJ, like if I got a Hi-Power, with 13 round magazines.

The NJ law is that you cannot manufacture that lower within NJ. You can buy a stripped lower here and finish it at home without issue... so no problem putting the stuff on one of those. If you don’t finish the lower in NJ, you should be fine. Now, would your balls get busted not having a serial number?

For the SIG conversion kits, no issue. The receiver is the registered part. You want to convert from 9mm to .40, it is still the same receiver. Those kits are more popular in NJ as one receiver can give you multiple calibers... on one permit.

• Like 1

Agreed this is legal if you “manufacture” the lower in another state where it is legal and transport back into NJ following NJ handgun transport law.

I’ve consulted PA lawyer Joshua Prince and he verified it’s legal for a non-prohibited NJ resident to come into PA to manufacture a firearm.

I don’t believe a serial # is required if you’re not selling the firearm, however FYI if you do want a serial # this retailer will engrave one on an 80% handgun frame before shipping it to you:

https://www.righttobear.com/80-percent-glock-1911-pistol-frames-s/2006.htm

• Like 1

^ What they said. 

Go ahead and buy the 80% lower and ship it right to your house. Go to PA, drill the holes and its now considered a "firearm." If you want to bring it back to Nj to finish or finish it in PA, you are fine to do so. 

You dont need a serial number right now but the P80 frames come with a little piece of metal that sits exposed inside the picatinny rail. I believe some people have stamped a number into that if they want it serialized.   

• Like 1

legal if produced in another state say like Pa, there is current legislation I believe to make this also stop. I dont believe any and i mean any of these homemade pieces ever ended up in a crime or else im sure we would have heard about it until your ears bleed on the main stream media.