Sign in to follow this  
SJG

Minature Flame Thrower

So I was at a gun show today in Ft. Lauderdale and one of the vendors had some very unique items on his table. One that caught my attention was a miniature self defense flame thrower that fits in the palm of your hand and is charged with a butane lighter. It can operate like a cigar lighter, however it can also shoot out a flame that  is at least two and one-half feet in length and wide enough to cause some serious damage. It is not as thin as a cigarette lighter and has the width of a small  bulp of a light bulb. The way it is designed, it can be safely held in your hand without  the metal part you hold getting hot. On one charge with a butane canister, you get about 10 flames before you have to charge it. It fits in a jacket pocket and deploying it is leasy. Would this be ok in N.J.?

"Firearm or firearms" means any handgun, rifle, shotgun, machine gun, assault firearm, automatic or semi-automatic rifle, or any gun, device or instrument in the nature of a weapon from which may be fired or ejected any solid projectile, ball, slug, pellet, missile or bullet, or any gas, vapor or other noxious thing, by means of a cartridge or shell or by the action of an explosive or the igniting of flammable or explosive substances. It shall also include, without limitation, any firearm which is in the nature of an air gun, spring gun or pistol or other weapon of a similar nature in which the propelling force is a spring, elastic band, carbon dioxide, compressed or other gas, or vapor, air or compressed air, or is ignited by compressed air, and ejecting a bullet or missile smaller than three-eighths of an inch in diameter, with sufficient force to injure a person.

--------

If its sold as cigarette lighter, may be. If its sold as "weapon", read above and decide. 

"Firearm or firearms" means any handgun, rifle, shotgun, machine gun, assault firearm, automatic or semi-automatic rifle, or any gun, device or instrument in the nature of a weapon from which may be fired or ejected any solid projectile, ball, slug, pellet, missile or bullet, or any gas, vapor or other noxious thing, by means of a cartridge or shell or by the action of an explosive or the igniting of flammable or explosive substances. It shall also include, without limitation, any firearm which is in the nature of an air gun, spring gun or pistol or other weapon of a similar nature in which the propelling force is a spring, elastic band, carbon dioxide, compressed or other gas, or vapor, air or compressed air, or is ignited by compressed air, and ejecting a bullet or missile smaller than three-eighths of an inch in diameter, with sufficient force to injure a person.

--------

If its sold as cigarette lighter, may be. If its sold as "weapon", read above and decide.

Even if it is sold as a cigarette lighter if you use it as a flamethrower it becomes a weapon. The same as its legal to carry around a steel cane until you hit someone in the head with it. At minimum you're looking at being charged with at least aggravated assault unless it's a situation permitting deadly force.

• Like 1

New Jersey State Police announced the arrest of Albert Foulkes, 69, of Allamuchy, NJ for possession of a destructive device aka a 600lb flamethrower! A spokesman stated that the device was professionly constructed and consisted of a portable generator, a 50 gal air compressor, 2 10 gal fuel tanks containing a mixture of diesel fuel & gasoline connected to a hose with a flint ignitor. It was all mounted on single axle trailer.  The device reportedly could project a flame up to 100 feet.  Foulkes had printed up flyers offering his device "for terrorist or anti - terrorist purposes" for $10,000.

Source:  Newark Star Ledger - November 10, 1999.

Portable marshmallow toaster

That might work ;(. The prosecutor will show how it works shooting a 2 1/2 foot flame, probably with a video. The judge will charge the jury and tell them they need to decide if they think it's a weapon or...a portable marshmallow toaster. Good luck with that.

That might work ;(. The prosecutor will show how it works shooting a 2 1/2 foot flame, probably with a video. The judge will charge the jury and tell them they need to decide if they think it's a weapon or...a portable marshmallow toaster. Good luck with that.

Who doesn't like smores?

P to P a flame thrower?

The fact that arguably it meets the definition of a firearm (although it is also a cigarette lighter) does not answer the question if its possession per se is permissible. Sure, if you use it for other than self -defense( bona fide, self defense) -you might be charged with a predicate crime and a weapons offense also). But what if you are a mere collector/ The above news story does not give us the outcome. In addition that device was not marketed as a cigarette lighter which could actually function as one. i am told that devices like the XM2 might have a legitimate public safety function--to do  a controlled burn of vegetation. To my knowledge, there is no reported NJ case regarding a flame thrower. If you think about it, a butane Bic used to light a barbecue would also meet the definition of a firearm quoted above.

P to P a flame thrower?

The fact that arguably it meets the definition of a firearm (although it is also a cigarette lighter) does not answer the question if its possession per se is permissible. Sure, if you use it for other than self -defense( bona fide, self defense) -you might be charged with a predicate crime and a weapons offense also). But what if you are a mere collector/ The above news story does not give us the outcome. In addition that device was not marketed as a cigarette lighter which could actually function as one. i am told that devices like the XM2 might have a legitimate public safety function--to do  a controlled burn of vegetation. To my knowledge, there is no reported NJ case regarding a flame thrower. If you think about it, a butane Bic used to light a barbecue would also meet the definition of a firearm quoted above.

Not unless the said butane Bic is sold as a "Weapon".   As GRIZ pointed out, almost anything "could" be used as a weapon and the user would figure out consequences in the court. But couple of simple questions to ask:

* What is its primary function ?

* What is it advertised for ?

* How is it generally used ?

A firearm "could" actually function as a hammer. Doesnt make it a hammer. Nor is it generally used as hammer. 

If its primary function is cigarette lighter, advertised as such and generally used as such, and I happen to smoke, I would buy one for myself in NJ. 

Cool stuff and I still want the pen flame thrower but that would be as effective for self defense as a stick of pepperoni. Might scare someone away but it's not going to stop someone who really wants to harm you

P to P a flame thrower?

"Arguably it meets the definition" can be problematic. If I had a lighter that could fire a 9mm round would it be legal to carry it, it's a lighter still, primarily. If that logic works, I'm gonna make a freaking bundle by brazing Zippos to derringers and sellin em all over NJ. Justifiable need is no longer an issue.

"Arguably it meets the definition" can be problematic. If I had a lighter that could fire a 9mm round would it be legal to carry it, it's a lighter still, primarily. If that logic works, I'm gonna make a freaking bundle by brazing Zippos to derringers and sellin em all over NJ. Justifiable need is no longer an issue.

Firearms that don't look like an obvious firearm are NFA items and require a tax stamp. I've seen guys in PA selling functioning Maglite flashlights that also could fire .22LR or 20 gauge shells.

If I had an extra $1000 I'd pick up the XM42

http://xm42.com

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Gents, I had one. It was fabulous in the snow. Best time was off the boat on the lake on Independence Day. Unfortunately it was lost in a bizarre boating incident out by the canyon.

Balloons filled with acetylene are a hoot.

Works(ed) as advertised. Pretty good range, about 4 rows deep in a BLM, occupy or anti-trump snowflake protest. Worth every penny.