8219d9c335da46b257fb2d2772f8e98a.jpg this is my buddy's German short hair pointer. I've gotten back into bird hunting the past few years . Nothing like hiking around with a well trained dog at work and bagging some birds. I will probably be putting my name on a breeders list for a Vizsla in the fall for a spring litter.

Love Vizla's we had one when i was kid to teens great bird dog.. had to be careful with him though he liked to bite people on the ass if he did not like them. 

It Is Not the dog! It's the owner that trains them!

Or more to the point, doesn't.

A german shepherd can be way more dangerous than a pit. Bruno weighs 130# and he will run your ass down. But he listens. More importantly I trust him and he trusts me to tell him what to do. A dog, any dog is most dangerous when he feels he has to be in charge. As long as he knows who is the alpha, you're good. My dog doesn't cross a threshold before me. It's subtle, but there is no doubt as to his place. So most of the rep that pits get is due to lack of care and it's the owner that should be punished.

• Like 3

If you look at hospital mandated demographics of dog bite perps, one breed is at the top of the list for years, German Shepherd Dogs. Reason being thay they, and Belgians are police dogs. More than any other breed. Their job is to bite. Only recently has the data been mined more reasonably to control for police dogs. Within a year or so you will see decreased home insurance rates and outright prohibitions removed from GSH pack-mates. One could only hope they've finally come to their senses. 

Here Bruno is with his babe Tasha relaxing at  the shore house....

IMG_1966.JPG

11 hours ago, Walt of Destiny said:

If you look at hospital mandated demographics of dog bite perps, one breed is at the top of the list for years, German Shepherd Dogs. Reason being thay they, and Belgians are police dogs. More than any other breed. Their job is to bite. Only recently has the data been mined more reasonably to control for police dogs. Within a year or so you will see decreased home insurance rates and outright prohibitions removed from GSH pack-mates. One could only hope they've finally come to their senses. 

Actually #1 is almost always mixed breed. usually followed up by whatever is super popular. Currently it is labs. In the past it has been collies. My $0.02 on what bites is that it's mostly the owner, but any breed that has been overbred and has lots of inbreeding is making your job harder. 

6 minutes ago, PEACEFROG said:

My pal Stark590b80cf0f06e_STARK11.JPG.bafee7990de8b585664f0dfb8eb87b53.JPG

They're just so f'ing beautiful and intelligent I can't take it. 

There's a theory that if it wasn't for that she wolf that reckoned 30,000 years ago that it was better to share the warmth of the fire and the food scraps of the humans than to bite them, we wouldn't have had the hunting skills to provide enough protein to feed the evolution of our large brains. Our paths were irretrievably intertwined when she timidly crawled into that cave 30 millennia ago. Every time I walk in the woods with him, take off his leash and he walks next to me, I feel that kindred spirit. 

IMG_8785.JPG

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Walt of Destiny said:

Beautiful. And easier to keep than a pony. By just a little. 

Just slightly - lol

We had two - a 198lb. female (Which we lost last election night)

and the 150lb puppy

Between them both - almost 2 5-gallon buckets of crap per week.............

DSCN0878.JPG

Even though she likes to sleep, and looks like an angel... starting to become a major pain in the butt.

Put her in a kennel at a friends house... which goes out to an old horse paddock. There is a fence down the center, and it divides it into two sections, so dogs can be separated if need be. She found out how to open the gate between the two (chain link fencing, with a slip latch). They were telling me how she was slipping through the gate, but didn't realize the latch was undone. She isn't allowed over there unless I chain the gates up that she is facing 

Today, I went out to the shed to grab something... and waited for the door to close because it was still crappy out and didn't want her to come out yet. Once I heard it catch, continued walking... and a few steps later, Emma is right next to me. Nobody opened the door... she hit it with her nose, and continued out. Couldn't yell at her for that one... being I was impressed.

IMG_4367.JPG

IMG_4389.JPG

IMG_4394.JPG

http://www.businessinsider.com/dog-before-after-100-years-breeding-science-german-shephard-dachsund-bull-terrier-bulldog-shetland-sheepdog-2017-5

Note that many of the highest quality breeders in Europe still preserve some of these traits in their bloodlines. I hate to say it but Americans messed up dogs bloodlines pretty bad 

• Like 1

On 5/4/2017 at 4:57 PM, JT Custom Guns said:

Just slightly - lol

We had two - a 198lb. female (Which we lost last election night)

and the 150lb puppy

Between them both - almost 2 5-gallon buckets of crap per week.............

DSCN0878.JPG

Always wanted a little Pony, but after our St. Bernard.... way tooo big.

Don't have a dog now, but if we do, looking at a Puli. 

9 minutes ago, JT Custom Guns said:

Maks - Puli's are beautiful but a LOT of work to maintain that coat..............

+100000. And very difficult to keep smelling good. Those chords "dreads" can get pretty nasty inside. I had the displeasure of helping shave one that had a very bad fungal infection in its skin from improper coat maintenance, it smelled worse than roadkill in August!

34 minutes ago, fishnut said:

+100000. And very difficult to keep smelling good. Those chords "dreads" can get pretty nasty inside. I had the displeasure of helping shave one that had a very bad fungal infection in its skin from improper coat maintenance, it smelled worse than roadkill in August!

I knew they take more upkeep but did not even think about the fungus.

One of the key drivers for Puli is the hair over fur.