1 hour ago, fishnut said:

http://www.businessinsider.com/dog-before-after-100-years-breeding-science-german-shephard-dachsund-bull-terrier-bulldog-shetland-sheepdog-2017-5

Note that many of the highest quality breeders in Europe still preserve some of these traits in their bloodlines. I hate to say it but Americans messed up dogs bloodlines pretty bad 

Couldn't agree more. The AKC has done a disservice with regard to the visuals vs the  health and abilities of the breeds. 

The breeder that Bruno came from regularly introduces german stock into their lines to maintain the original purposes based on "SV" guidelines, arguably the most defined and rigorous classification on the planet. The Germans, of course. 

'Germany being the founders of our breed just over a hundred years ago and they have established the most comprehensive system of any other breed in the world. '

'The German SV system requires for showing and breeding DNA parentage, microchip identification, to meet strict conformational criteria according to the German breed standard, hip and elbow grades and assessment of the spine along with formal character assessment, endurance test of 20 kilometers gaiting, IPO test of courage, tracking and obedience and a very demanding breed survey (korung).'

Bruno competed in "Schutzhund" for a couple of years, he loved it. Me, not so much. Way time consuming. Now he's content to walk in the woods, chase deer and eat grass fed aged Angus from a friend's upstate farm on occasion. 

IMG_8789.JPG

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Maksim said:

I knew they take more upkeep but did not even think about the fungus.

One of the key drivers for Puli is the hair over fur. 

If your looking for a "different" breed that has hair not fur check out Bouvier des Flandres. One of my all time favorite breeds! They take some work with obedience but are a great family dog!after my bird dog it's time to get another Bouvier for me. Let me know if your interested as breeders are difficult to find but my aunt and cousins breed theirs in MD sometimes. 

If you don't want to be different poodles are actually a great dog. They have hair not fur, very smart, easy to train, great family dog, and so on. All in all a really good hypoallergenic dog for a family. 

Just now, fishnut said:

If you don't want to be different poodles are actually a great dog. They have hair not fur, very smart, easy to train, great family dog, and so on. All in all a really good hypoallergenic dog for a family. 

My understanding, and wifey had a king poodle.... they have a bad temperament?

51 minutes ago, Maksim said:

My understanding, and wifey had a king poodle.... they have a bad temperament?

Not bad temperament just need a bit of exercise everyday and firm obedience. Many people forget the poodle is a hunting dog, they can have a higher prey drive and are a little more active than most dogs. An untrained poodle full of energy can be a nippy dog.

The reality is any dog and dog owner needs obedience training, there are some dogs and owners that need more training than others. Poodles training needs fall into the lessor end of the spectrum but they still need it. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, fishnut said:

Not bad temperament just need a bit of exercise everyday and firm obedience. Many people forget the poodle is a hunting dog, they can have a higher prey drive and are a little more active than most dogs. An untrained poodle full of energy can be a nippy dog.

The reality is any dog and dog owner needs obedience training, there are some dogs and owners that need more training than others. Poodles training needs fall into the lessor end of the spectrum but they still need it. 

makes sense.... and I guess easy to forget when you imagine a poodle as a tiny little thing that sits in a purse.... and not as a mid sized dog.  Did not know they were hunting dogs. 

Training is never done for dogs and owners either. I consider myself well informed on dogs and dog training and I still speak the help of dog trainers when I need it. With a new baby in the house I recently had a dog trainer come over and show me some new ideas to better transition my 2 dachshunds into life with a baby that can walk. One of those dogs is 13 years old. It is possible to teach an old  dog new tricks. 

3 minutes ago, Maksim said:

makes sense.... and I guess easy to forget when you imagine a poodle as a tiny little thing that sits in a purse.... and not as a mid sized dog.  Did not know they were hunting dogs. 

That poofy traditional hairdo is to keep the dogs joints and vitals warm while retrieving game in cold water

2 hours ago, fishnut said:

Training is never done for dogs and owners either. I consider myself well informed on dogs and dog training and I still speak the help of dog trainers when I need it. With a new baby in the house I recently had a dog trainer come over and show me some new ideas to better transition my 2 dachshunds into life with a baby that can walk. One of those dogs is 13 years old. It is possible to teach an old  dog new tricks. 

That poofy traditional hairdo is to keep the dogs joints and vitals warm while retrieving game in cold water

Pudelhund. That's where the word puddle comes from. It's a german word for splash or something like that. They are smart as whips, are known to push submissive humans around and tend to nip a lot id not kept in check. Of course I'm talking about real poodles not the inbread, insane psychopath little ones that yip and are carried everywhere. I wanted to get a companion for my GSD and a black full size poodle would have been great, but the misses had a bad experience with a toy poodle growing up and wouldn't entertain the idea. I so wanted to do the poofs at the joints, head and tail. Some lists rate them higher than shepherds in intelligence. I don't buy that, but whatever. 

I enthusiastically agree with the ongoing training thing. Even for older dogs. It's not what they learn that is important. It's the process that they need maintenance on. I figure Bruno can understand about 20 words. My son just got a jeep. For some reason he loves it. Now when we mention going somewhere in the jeep he's at the door right eyed and bushy tailed. So we've taken to spelling it but jeep sound like jeep even if spelled so it took him like twice to figure it out. Like geese. He hates them, he got that from me, but when you say the word he's at the back door yelping. Loves chasing them into the lake. So we started using waterfowl. Yup, figured that out as well. They are a lot more intelligent that we give them credit for.  You learn a lot about body language if you listen, really listen, to your dog.

We have to spell out walk or our dachshunds go crazy and the old girl Abby cant make it to the end so we can't take her anymore. We have to sneek out out with Luger the younger male so she won't get upset. Thankfully dachshunds are dumb and haven't figured it out in 2 years lol. 

36 minutes ago, Ray Ray said:

Soo I guess your not moving on like you told me to do in my thread. I knew you would post that. Please tell me what kind of parent leave their 6 MONTH OLD OUTSIDE UNATTENDED with or without a dog?????? I'll tell you the same type of person that gets a dog and does not train or socialize it. I'd bet that this case is the owners faulght not the dogs.  

Ray you are no better than the media and their media war on guns. 

• Like 1

Nice bull terrier trenton shooter, he's got great coloring! I really like how the brown outlines the black. 

Ray Ray you do realize that you LIKED trenton shooters bull terrier which is a PIT BULL

• Like 1

7 hours ago, fishnut said:

Nice bull terrier trenton shooter, he's got great coloring! I really like how the brown outlines the black. 

Ray Ray you do realize that you LIKED trenton shooters bull terrier which is a PIT BULL

I like bull terriers

Maks, I have to have non-shedding dogs with hair myself.

We got a Kerry Blue Terrier last year. She is amazing. Smart and sweet and it looks like she will be a great frisbee dog. We bring her to the groomers once every other month with an occasional bath at home and she is good to go.

I have friends with a Puli and another with a Komondor. Good dogs but lots of work to keep their coats healthy and they are very high energy.

• Like 1

On 5/14/2017 at 6:31 AM, fishnut said:

Thanks !!! That's my baby. Here is my girl also. Benny is 2 she is 1 now. 

IMG_3153_zpspkuyeoc2.jpg

IMG_3154_zpsdxmcygox.jpg

• Like 1