Mrs. Peel

Boggled White House Security - Secret Service to Blame?

So many breaches of the White House property in recent years - what the hell is going on?  From what I've read in several articles, in one of these most recent intrusions, this guy "Tran" was apparently on the property undetected for 17 minutes - even peering into windows - while Secret Service agents ignored alarms. And more recently, someone drove a stolen car up to one of the gates, claiming to have a bomb and saying upon arrest that "this was a test." Sure, most of these people are kooks, but a kook can be dangerous. And don't you think our enemies analyze this stuff and may feel emboldened?

To me, this should have absolutely NOTHING to do with your voting habits or political persuasion (which is  why I'm posting it in "General Discussion"). An assassination of POTUS (or other high-ranking official) on the grounds of the White House would be a devastating event with wide-ranging repercussions. Everything should be done to prevent it. I've personally had this concern for years now. So far, I thought the most chilling event happened when Obama was president... that one case where the intruder made it deep into the building. I'm no security expert, but this continuous chain of events seems so inexcusable.

- do these ongoing failures show a deeply rooted, ongoing cultural problem within our Secret Service?

- or, do you think it's more about a lack of funding, inadequate staffing, etc?

- why does it take so bloody long to replace the current fence with the planned 13-foot one? We've been hearing about the fence for a year now... why hasn't construction started yet? This ain't rocket science.

- Food for thought: if something like this happened in Israel, how long do you think it would have taken them to close the security gap? 

I've afraid this situation not only shows that our Secret Service might have some serious challenges, but it's also evidence of the bureaucracy and complacency that always seems to settle deep into our government ranks, regardless of what administration is in power. Sad.

Too many people with only objective of scooping up bigger, no-questions-asked budgets every year under the guise of security.  Combine that with incompetence and culture of complacency. General public cannot even criticize the snowflakes in security business.  

Whether its National Security or WH Security, we could cut budget by 60% across the board and still get same security we have now. 

There are more of these breaches at the WH than are published.  Obama had a bunch but the MSM never reported them,  SS (like that?) recommended during the Obummer Admin to raise the fence to 13 feet but WH turned it down saying it sends the wrong message.  I say put another fence around the inside and electrify it.  Frigg 'em if they are loony enough to jump the first two (there is a bike lane type fence on the sidewalk first) let them deal with the third.

No way the SS on roof did not see him.  Somebody on the ground was asleep at the switch HA!  They are becoming complacent in their jobs, time for transfers.

I have my own theories on WH security.  I will not publish them.  I will say that some of the testing IS public, and a 13' wall won't stop a Cessna loaded w/ black market IED's :) .  Call me on the phone if any of you want more, lol!

I have my own theories on WH security.  I will not publish them.  I will say that some of the testing IS public, and a 13' wall won't stop a Cessna loaded w/ black market IED's :) .  Call me on the phone if any of you want more, lol!

I'm interested in hearing some of these theories lol