HBecwithFn7

New Jersey passes bill that requires mandatory spay/neuter on all dogs/cats over 8 weeks

In re: our discussion of dogs, I found this from a different forum I frequent...

==============

New Jersey passed S2847 which calls for MANDATORY SPAY/NEUTER OF ALL DOGS AND CATS OVER 8 WEEKS OLD.

•PLEASE CALL GOVERNOR CHRISTIE and ask that he VETO S2847!!

Call: 609-777-2500 (business office hours only)

•TWEET GOV CHRISTIE: @GovChristie

New Jersey S2847 | 2016-2017 | Regular Session

• Like 1

While I don't agree with this I do belive that all outdoor cats should be altered.Feral cats are a pague. Also if someone wants to breed a dog or cat they should have to pass a competency test and show proof of proper facility's. But then again I think people should have to do that to have baby's as well. Also all dogs and cats should be required to have a microchip by law. Again this is nothing but my well informed opinion.

• Like 2

So does this mean that in about 15 years there won't be anymore dogs in NJ?

No, according to summary it would still be legal to possess unaltered animals obtained from out of state but would require all offspring sold in the state to be altered at 8 weeks old. Which is to young for many working dog breeds, many need testosterone to fully develop to be able to do the job they were bred for.
  • Like 1

No, according to summary it would still be legal to possess unaltered animals obtained from out of state but would require all offspring sold in the state to be altered at 8 weeks old. Which is to young for many working dog breeds, many need testosterone to fully develop to be able to do the job they were bred for.

I was wondering how this might affect both "professional" and BYB type breeders. 

And for libertarian reasons, while I would not want to "mandate" microchips as well, I do think everyone should do it. It's easy and it solves a lot of problems.

• Like 1

I was wondering how this might affect both "professional" and BYB type breeders.

And for libertarian reasons, while I would not want to "mandate" microchips as well, I do think everyone should do it. It's easy and it solves a lot of problems.

This law will kill professional dog breeders for sure. All show dogs can not be altered, so if this law passes NJ dog breeders will not be able to show any of their dogs offspring.

As for the microchips yes I'd love all dog and cat owners to to the right thing and get them chipped the fact is they don't. In 3 years of being on the road as an animal control officer I picked up 621 dogs, exactly 19 of them had microchipps. I picked up even more stray cats and only 5 had chips. The chip makes the owner responsible for the animal so it's a huge deterrent for abandonment.

• Like 1

I do not. Although she is never without her rabies vaccine tag around her neck. I don't feel that the state needs my dog tax.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wait until you have an issue involving someone else and then the police get involved and take your unlicensed dog

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I do not. Although she is never without her rabies vaccine tag around her neck. I don't feel that the state needs my dog tax.

just an FYI if your caught the fine is between 50 and 2000 bucks and mandatory court appearance. Also that money does not go to the town per say. It pays for the free rabies clinics your town runs every year. Also many towns require residents to registered cats also. Many cat owners do not know that.

Wait until you have an issue involving someone else and then the police get involved and take your unlicensed dog

That's written as if I should be expecting a problem. I know my dog well enough to know that she's a non-issue. I'd be more concerned for my neighbors who have chickens in a residential running wild from yard to yard. From what my vet has said as long as she has a current rabies vaccine they can't take her, just issue a fine. How long before I have to license my tennis shoes?

This.....well kinda. No one can take your dog or cat for being unlicensed but you can still get a fine. For example you are out walking your dog on a leash. Your irresponsible dog owning neighbor let's his dog aggressive dog out of his house and it attacks your dog that you are walking. When animal control is notified they will check the database to see if both the aggressor and victim dog have licenses. You will get a ticket for the dog being unlicensed. That scenario happened so many times when I was working Animal Control it's not even funny.

FYI the only time anyone can remove your dog from your home against your will is when there is a bad bite on a person and the victim wants to pursue a " potentially dangerous hearing". Then your dog is removed and held at a facility at your cost until the court hearing.

• Like 2

This.....well kinda. No one can take your dog or cat for being unlicensed but you can still get a fine. For example you are out walking your dog on a leash. Your irresponsible dog owning neighbor let's his dog aggressive dog out of his house and it attacks your dog that you are walking. When animal control is notified they will check the database to see if both the aggressor and victim dog have licenses. You will get a ticket for the dog being unlicensed. That scenario happened so many times when I was working Animal Control it's not even funny.

FYI the only time anyone can remove your dog from your home against your will is when there is a bad bite on a person and the victim wants to pursue a " potentially dangerous hearing". Then your dog is removed and held at a facility at your cost until the court hearing.

That's a good point. Its the good ole' kid gets sucker punched in school, both kids get suspended.

That's funny. My vet was pretty clear that 6months was about the youngest he would neuter.

Yeah 8 weeks is really young. Male dogs need their Testosterone to develop properly. Especially the large breeds, I've even heard it's not great to alter male large breeds until after 2 years old.
  • Like 1