HBecwithFn7

New Jersey passes bill that requires mandatory spay/neuter on all dogs/cats over 8 weeks

Yeah 8 weeks is really young. Male dogs need their Testosterone to develop properly. Especially the large breeds, I've even heard it's not great to alter male large breeds until after 2 years old.

To be honest, I'm not terribly keen on spaying/neutering in general... certainly not any dog that's part of a family (and under its control).  If there is a medical need for it, or if will help resolve a  behavioral issue, that's one thing. But my understanding is that spaying a female is more important than neutering a male when it comes to overall physical/hormonal health. Baring any medical issue, I would want to not alter or have it altered simply because I visit a "pro-alter" vet.  There are a ton of them out there that spay/neuter everything that comes in the door.  Not my dog! 

I can see where  spaying/neutering might be of benefit for stray/feral populations, but for a family dog that says under control of the family, I'm not really fond of it.

I agree. I've had altered and unaltered dogs and personally don't really care as long as the dog is under control. The female dachshund we have now got breast cancer at 12 due to not being spayed so it can prevent certain types of cancer but it can also cause other health issues. There is no win win situation. However have img to deal with a dog in heat for the last 10 years ALL my of bitches will be spayed from now on. It was my wife's dog so I dident have a say. My male dogs in the future it will depend on Temperament if it's not a rescue dog.

It is not good to neuter a male dog early. Fishnut is correct that you really need to wait at least 2 years for the dog to fully develop. This law is another beyond stupid law that these a$$hats are trying to get thru. It is actually sponsored by some organization that hates pets (sorry forgot their name).

Good idea. Everything should be registered, licensed, restricted, and background checked. Far too much independence and freedom in this state. I want it all stamped out.

Everyone who posted here saying this was a good idea and the government needs to intervene - you're why I'm leaving. And I don't even have a dog.

• Like 3

This law will kill professional dog breeders for sure. All show dogs can not be altered, so if this law passes NJ dog breeders will not be able to show any of their dogs offspring.

As for the microchips yes I'd love all dog and cat owners to to the right thing and get them chipped the fact is they don't. In 3 years of being on the road as an animal control officer I picked up 621 dogs, exactly 19 of them had microchipps. I picked up even more stray cats and only 5 had chips. The chip makes the owner responsible for the animal so it's a huge deterrent for abandonment.

We always chip

To be honest, I'm not terribly keen on spaying/neutering in general... certainly not any dog that's part of a family (and under its control).  If there is a medical need for it, or if will help resolve a  behavioral issue, that's one thing. But my understanding is that spaying a female is more important than neutering a male when it comes to overall physical/hormonal health. Baring any medical issue, I would want to not alter or have it altered simply because I visit a "pro-alter" vet.  There are a ton of them out there that spay/neuter everything that comes in the door.  Not my dog! 

I can see where  spaying/neutering might be of benefit for stray/feral populations, but for a family dog that says under control of the family, I'm not really fond of it.

Females that will not be bred should be spayed.  They will have issues with false pregnancies, etc.  It's a good practice and we do it after their first cycle.  I have bullmastiffs that were spayed post first cycle and they have grown up to their glorious full size and strength.  

I'm a fan of altering the animals not to be bred but not until they are fully developed.  However, I don't believe in legislating it.  

I thought the recommendation was to spay females at/after their first cycle. That's certainly not at 8 weeks. From what I remember there are health concerns for doing it too early (or too late)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

That's funny. My vet was pretty clear that 6months was about the youngest he would neuter.

That's where my vulva joke came from. My rescue was fixed early and her vulva didn't fully mature, so now I have to make sure she doesn't have infections on the regular. My vet said he usually lets them go through one heat cycle to make sure they fully develop.

I do not. Although she is never without her rabies vaccine tag around her neck. I don't feel that the state needs my dog tax.

my town goes knocking on your door if do not register your dog/cat. They fine you too. 

I think this a Lesniak supported bill. I received some BS announcement on FB about it from him (and I am not even a subscriber to his page).

A) All dogs/cats should be microchipped. If you care about your pet it is the smart and right thing to do. 

B) My vet said not to have my GSD neutered until he was at least a year old. 

C) Many bark-parks do not allow un-neutered dogs at them. A couple of years ago some d-bag lady had her un-neutered labradoodle in the bark park and he attacked my GSD. I should have let my GSD rip him to shreds but I do have a heart.....Then she gave me shit about the dog fight. I want to bitch-slap her. 

• Like 1

I don't know how many youngsters caught that reference, but about 20 years ago Jersey passed a law making sunny side up eggs illegal, to the best of my recollection.

That law lasted a month because it was universally ignored. There is a lesson there someplace...
  • Like 1

I don't know how many youngsters caught that reference, but about 20 years ago Jersey passed a law making sunny side up eggs illegal, to the best of my recollection.

Do you recall the objective in passing this law?    Was it a prank law or something? Or, did that have a "nanny state" objective attached to it?

Do you recall the objective in passing this law?    Was it a prank law or something? Or, did that have a "nanny state" objective attached to it?

Nanny state--they were going to save us from salmonella.   It was a NJ Dept of Health regulation (so the democrats in the assembly didn't even get a chance to all sign on as cosponsors), specifying fines of $25 to $100 for serving eggs that didn't have hard-cooked yolks.

The late night comics-Johnny Carson in particular--had a field day with it, which I think was mostly responsible for the regulation getting dumped.   

my town goes knocking on your door if do not register your dog/cat. They fine you too.

If they send an lpn, they can declare you unstable as any responsible person would register their pet, and confiscate your guns. So is it a nut grab or gun grab? Only neutered people can keep their guns

If they send an lpn, they can declare you unstable as any responsible person would register their pet, and confiscate your guns. So is it a nut grab or gun grab? Only neutered people can keep their guns

Wow, that's a leap. Like I said all of her vaccines are up to date, she is fixed and chipped. I am responsible for her, not the state.

I'm all for Spaying and Neutering, my dog is neutered and chipped...I'm against mandatory spaying and neutering.   I don't think this will stop backyard breeders, it will just go underground and you can be certain someone will get killed over this.  Probably some snooping dog catcher, who should have minded his own effing business. 

Nanny state--they were going to save us from salmonella.   It was a NJ Dept of Health regulation (so the democrats in the assembly didn't even get a chance to all sign on as cosponsors), specifying fines of $25 to $100 for serving eggs that didn't have hard-cooked yolks.

The late night comics-Johnny Carson in particular--had a field day with it, which I think was mostly responsible for the regulation getting dumped.   

Well, I have heard of regulations that, for example, prohibit the "egg" in an "egg cream" drink, for similar reasons...    Then again, those would be totally raw eggs. 

This is why we want you to stay in Jersey. You always manage to find a lining of reasonableness in complete totalitarian nonsense, even if you do not completely agree with it.

As soon as you guys show up it's, "Why is that guy riding a motorcycle not wearing a helmet?" "Your grass is too long." "Your crops smell funny." "We need an ordinance to keep people from storing disabled vehicles on their property." "You can't paint your house that color." "When is the last time your barn was painted?"

And... of course...

"I support gun ownership. But not for kids and licensing is reasonable measure. And not for people I don't approve of."

• Like 1

Well, I have heard of regulations that, for example, prohibit the "egg" in an "egg cream" drink, for similar reasons...    Then again, those would be totally raw eggs. 

You do know that there are no eggs in an egg cream right?

• Like 1