Sign in to follow this  
YankeeSC

Out of state carry ammo

For those guys that live in NJ and then travel out of state and carry (licensed elsewhere), what ammo do you carry?

Do we run afoul of NJ laws with hollow points? It's not clear to me from what I am reading.

http://www.njsp.org/firearms/transport-hollowpoint.shtml

• Like 1

Hornady Critical Defense.  There is some ambiguity over whether polymer-tipped expanding ammo is considered to be "hollow point."

I understand that even those fortunate few who have CCW permits in NJ are prohibited from using hollow point ammo.  

I just realized the forum has in the banner "This is not the place for law discussion" as I am most curious about the NJ HP transport laws and how it affects what you carry when going out of state, HP vs non-HP.

When you are carrying on an out of state non-resident permit you only have to abide by the law in the state you're carrying. NJ law stops at the border. NJ state law does not cover transporting hollowpoints out of state to carry. To carry out of state on a non-resident permit is not covered in NJ law.

I know of no one who was arrested in the process of transporting hollowpoints or transporting a handgun out of state. Transporting a handgun out of state to carry legally in another state is also not covered in NJ law.

Do what you think is reasonable. If you get stopped in NJ use that bs excuse you are going to a range in PA or DE.

I believe too many over think this.

If you use that excuse that you are going to a range in PA or DE, do they ask you about the range name and address or just let you go?

It doesn't matter. Why give them that info anyway. They only need to know what you tell them. It's quite simple. Never say anything more to the police then what needs to be said.

• Like 1

If you use that excuse that you are going to a range in PA or DE, do they ask you about the range name and address or just let you go?

The lack of responses to this question indicate it hasn't happened to anyone. That should tell you something.

The lack of responses to this question indicate it hasn't happened to anyone. That should tell you something.

So, what hasn't happened, no one got stopped in the way to a free state or no one has been asked about the range details?

It doesn't matter. Why give them that info anyway. They only need to know what you tell them. It's quite simple. Never say anything more to the police then what needs to be said.

I'm not saying that we should volunteer any information, just if they would ask you for more details about that range. In that case you should be ready to answer that ...

So, what hasn't happened, no one got stopped in the way to a free state or no one has been asked about the range details?

I'm sure someone at some time has been stopped in NJ on their way to someplace else with handguns in the car. I've never heard of anyone arrested for this as I said above.

If anyone here has been stopped going to or coming from a range I'd like to hear about it and what transpired. That includes asking for range details.

There are still people on this forum who think they can be arrested coming from a range for stopping to use the bathroom, get something to eat, or dropping people off.

These were all defined as reasonable deviation like a year ago.

• Like 2

I'm sure someone at some time has been stopped in NJ on their way to someplace else with handguns in the car. I've never heard of anyone arrested for this as I said above.

If anyone here has been stopped going to or coming from a range I'd like to hear about it and what transpired. That includes asking for range details.

There are still people on this forum who think they can be arrested coming from a range for stopping to use the bathroom, get something to eat, or dropping people off.

These were all defined as reasonable deviation like a year ago.

I'd like to hear about that too.

This is the link to NJ AG Transporting Firearms Guidelines

http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/agopinions/Transporting-Firearms_Guidelines.pdf

When I carry carry in PA no one has ever seen my gun or ammo because it's concealed and nobody knows I even have a gun....  Ammo may only be a legal issue if I have the need to use the gun..... If I need to use my gun I I have bigger problems than ammo type..... Personally I am unconcerned..... 

• Like 1