medved11

DP-12 or KSG - Which Would You Choose?

As the title says, which of these two shotguns would you choose?

I'm interested in possibly picking up one or the other. I've been watching a lot of YouTube reviews and I'm currently leaning towards the DP-12; however, I'd like to hear some opinions from anyone that got one or the other (or both).

The biggest thing that's currently making me think twice about the DP-12 (in favor of the KSG) is the way that the safety works.

The biggest gripe that I've seen so far on the KSG is how it beats up your wrist when ejecting the spent shells.

My bro DeerSlayer has both, I'm sure he'd be more then happy to give you his opinion either here or in PM. Pretty sure he brings them both to the Shotgun Shootouts too. I can never get off work for the last 3 or 4 since I've been on this forum :( 

• Like 1

590A1

Typical...way to add nothing to the conversation.

Anyway...have had my KSG from when it was first out. Never a problem. One problem I had was after shooting the dp12 a lot I moved back onto my other platforms and found myself pressing the trigger twice after actioning the weapon. While not a big deal to most I carry a shotgun a lot at work and when qualifying I found that misstep in my muscle memory. Don't like that

• Like 2

Just some thoughts for you, not from personal experience.

Is the DP-12 worth $400 to $500 more than the KSG?

Are you going to be shooting at a distance where the offset  (left and right) will be a nuisance? 

If you can try them side by side, that would be great!  Like to hear what your evaluation is.

On    the KSG arm strike on ejection, there are shell deflectors as an add on (if it really bothers you)      

http://primarymachine.com/kel-tec-ksg-shell-deflector/

In all fairness, it does add something to the conversation... a point of view that differs from everyone else that posted before.

While more obviously could have been said (but then someone would have had issue with that, so moot point), some people aren't a bullpup fan. Let's say this wasn't a NJ question... and the Saigas were the topic. Do we really just need to hear which smith did them the best? Or if someone states that Saiga magazines are finicky, and shotgun shells don't do well in the long term being stacked vertically... is that not something that speaks to the conversation? The KSG has its detractors. I personally don't like how complicated the DP-12 is (and expensive).

Moving past that, I prefer the KSG. I liked what it offered, which is why I bought it and a Tavor after the past election. But I'm also a fan of the Ithaca action... which the KSG is very close to (just bullpup, and the ability to pick from two tubes). It has plenty of aftermarket, and really has been used a lot (having a Gen 2 of anything tends to show progress). Having the newer version, it is well built and definitely will last. I did have a bad frame pin (spring wouldn't hold it in), but KelTec sent me a replacement quickly (I had a KNS QD pin on order, so was a spare).

If you go with the KSG, get a decent vertical grip (I run a Magpul). Best way to keep your hand from going in front of the muzzle. Another big thing is the plastic cheek rest... because steel is cold. But I did a few extras that most people won't... high visibility followers and SMT choke adapter. Followers clean up the gun, and it is nice to open the tubes up for cleaning crap out of there (you definitely want to clean a KSG, because there is lot of oil/preservative in them when they ship). But the choke adapter extends the muzzle (less chance of blowing a hand off) and gives me Remington chokes (what I use with most of my shotguns).

I also don't recommend loading different ammo in each tube and trying to select one for a specific need. While you can train to run a KSG, flipping a switch for slug might not be a great idea when you forget there is buckshot in the chamber. Too much difference in operation, and too much liability. Use it as a reload.

• Like 1

Anyway...have had my KSG from when it was first out. Never a problem. One problem I had was after shooting the dp12 a lot I moved back onto my other platforms and found myself pressing the trigger twice after actioning the weapon. While not a big deal to most I carry a shotgun a lot at work and when qualifying I found that misstep in my muscle memory. Don't like that

I agree. Doing the Texas 2 step then pump I found not comfy. Despite any criticism, I like the UTAS... less brain work. Bugs have been worked out and I especially like the auto/manual tube select. One thing the KSG lacked. You have to either count your rounds on the KSG or wait for the click, no shooty, then switch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the feedback.

Does anyone know of a shop that's got a DP-12 on the rack? I was able check out a KSG yesterday and I liked it. I'm hoping that I can find a shop that's got both so that I can do real time comparison in terms of weight and feel

Just some thoughts for you, not from personal experience.

Is the DP-12 worth $400 to $500 more than the KSG?

Are you going to be shooting at a distance where the offset (left and right) will be a nuisance?

https://youtu.be/hyh4dayfXQQ

If you can try them side by side, that would be great! Like to hear what your evaluation is.

On the KSG arm strike on ejection, there are shell deflectors as an add on (if it really bothers you)

http://primarymachine.com/kel-tec-ksg-shell-deflector/

From what I've read and seen on YouTube the extra money for the DP-12 is based on the milled aluminum receiver and the more complex design

I don't see me shooting past 20 yards with either of these, so I don't think the offset of the double barrel will be an issue. I shoot sporting clays with a side by side occasionally so I know how to compensate if I go beyond 20 yards

did you see this already medved?:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CrSkm5qy1f0

Thanks - I actually saw that yesterday afternoon during one of my YouTube binges. It did sort of get me second guessing the DP-12 and leaning towards the KSG a little more. The two things that concern me most about the DP-12 are:

1. you can't engage the safety after the right chamber has been fired (without ejecting the live shell)

2. you can't easily field strip it

I'm still doing some more research (and I'd still like to hear opinions from guys that have one or the other) but I'm starting to think that, from a practical perspective, the KSG may be the "wiser" choice. I could easily use the leftover cash to buy a shell deflector and an RDS for (I've got a spare VFG and a set of MBUS sights in my parts bin)

I don't see it as a big issue. So you have to eject a live shell... In what aspect could that be dangerous?

I agree that it's not really a "big" issue or a showstopper for me - it just seems odd that this scenario would exist on a gun that's geared towards law enforcement and military as I would think that they'd want the ability to put the gun on safe with a round in the unfired chamber in a CQB situation.

It's most likely a problem as long as you keep you finger away from the trigger when ejecting the live round

Why would you suggest something that has nothing to do with the OP s question ?

I was half joking, since the OP didn't state what the gun was for. Had he said home defense or a defensive rifle then my suggestion would stand. But since he later stated it was a toy, then I don't care since it's just a penis extender.

Biggest thing that concerns me about the KSG on the other hand, it's a KEL-TEC. Here is a little food for thought on bullpup shot guns.

https://www.thegunwriter.com/19139/another-devastating-kel-tec-ksg-injury/

The KSG is a sound design... and Kel-Tec of today isn't the same as Kel-Tec of 5 years ago. Nobody has a problem buying SUB-2000s.

In regards to the injury, yes, bullpups are something you need to consider where your hand goes. However, you want to mag-dump a shotgun like that... are you going to be shocked going from ten fingers to eight? Are Glocks the cause of Glock leg? Guns don't take kindly to a lack of respect. If it was the gun's fault, there would have been A LOT more cases to follow the amount of KSGs sold.

If that is a concern, look on eBay for a SMT choke tube adapter. Puts a few inches on the end of the barrel, and you get Remington chokes.

The KSG is a sound design... and Kel-Tec of today isn't the same as Kel-Tec of 5 years ago. Nobody has a problem buying SUB-2000s.

Kel-Tec still has quality control issues, but at least a few of their designs are not that hard to find.

As the title says, which of these two shotguns would you choose?

I'm interested in possibly picking up one or the other. I've been watching a lot of YouTube reviews and I'm currently leaning towards the DP-12; however, I'd like to hear some opinions from anyone that got one or the other (or both).

The biggest thing that's currently making me think twice about the DP-12 (in favor of the KSG) is the way that the safety works.

The biggest gripe that I've seen so far on the KSG is how it beats up your wrist when ejecting the spent shells.

This was also my gripe to a few years ago. I bought a gen 2 and have not had the wrist problem.

• Like 1

I was half joking, since the OP didn't state what the gun was for. Had he said home defense or a defensive rifle then my suggestion would stand. But since he later stated it was a toy, then I don't care since it's just a penis extender.

Gotcha
  • Like 1

So, after doing a little more research on both the DP12 and the KSG, I'm trying to figure out what either of these can do that the 870 that I already have can't do.

Other than the larger capacity and shorter overall length, is there any "real" benefit of a bullpup shotgun for a "regular" guy? My gut feeling is that either one would just turn into a range toy for me

I'm starting to waffle on my decision and thinking that I may want to put the funds towards a bolt action rifle that would probably see more use than another shotgun

So, after doing a little more research on both the DP12 and the KSG, I'm trying to figure out what either of these can do that the 870 that I already have can't do.

Other than the larger capacity and shorter overall length, is there any "real" benefit of a bullpup shotgun for a "regular" guy? My gut feeling is that either one would just turn into a range toy for me

I'm starting to waffle on my decision and thinking that I may want to put the funds towards a bolt action rifle that would probably see more use than another shotgun