charleslee

House beside Superfund???

Any site like that for our beloved Commonwealth?

Of course. Probably right around the block from you unless you live in the middle of nowhere. I don't think PA has a Geoweb so you are on your own unless you want to make a FOIA request. Of course you know I would always be here for you if you had a specific concern to discuss.

But Jersey has the highest number and highest concentrations of all these various sorts of nonsense. Heck, besides contaminated sites, a double digit percentage of the state is covered with fly ash, coal ash, and contaminated dredgings. If you bought a waterfront property, especially on a river, or any place near a wetland where your house seems conveniently raised in elevation, you have the most highly regulated contamination in the state of New Jersey under your feet. And your children's' feet :) I've found this garbage out in the middle of a forest at a residential property. It is a given in any city. You can also turn on that layer on Geoweb (although it is obviously not complete) or you can download the historic fill maps from NJDEP.

Just did the geoweb thing.........Nothing showed up for my property or surrounding property's with any of the layers thankfully. Pretty cool though even had a aerial photos from 1930. Thanks Mipa

mipafox has good info.  As a Registered Architect who has designed buildings ON superfund sites I will tell you, stay the F away.  It is just not worth it.  I've had countless long conversations with NJ DEP about some of the worst sites in NJ.  One of them, the DEP would not allow contractors to go into the excavation (foundations) without respirators and bunny suits, that's how dirty the site was.  

You don't want any part of this.  NJ is the most polluted state in the union but there are still clean places to live.  This isn't worth it. 

Daughter & son-in-law are most likely going to be putting in an offer on the above, Lakehurst Rd. I think it is. 3 1/2 acres. Well water. Decent price but I just found out about the Superfund

from a fellow at the RC Club located on the SF site. He advised they should do their research. Wouldn't drink the water regardless. I spoke to a builder who suggested they have a Perk test done, testing the ground, to find out about sinkage. 2K. They ain't gonna go for that, having all $ tied up in a down payment, etc. Besides, son-in-law is certain the house wouldn't be approved, inspection-passed, etc. if unsafe & basement would be flooded if on water. I don't know??? Superfund ended way back but who the hell knows? Leeching! There's politics. Pay-offs. Look at all the cancer rates by landfills various places. Just scares me. Grandkids potentially living there. Paranoid??? Thoughts much appreciated.

Please please please tell them not to buy that f-ing house. The realtor will recommend a dynamite testing company who'll test for cheap and miraculously they'll find nothing. They're all goddamned crooks. You can buy the average NJ municipal housing inspector for a six pack of Iron City. But rest assured after your grandchild is born with three heads or your son in law comes down with leukemia you can sue for big bucks. 

Please please please tell them not to buy that f-ing house. The realtor will recommend a dynamite testing company who'll test for cheap and miraculously they'll find nothing. They're all goddamned crooks. You can buy the average NJ municipal housing inspector for a six pack of Iron City. But rest assured after your grandchild is born with three heads or your son in law comes down with leukemia you can sue for big bucks.

I will agree with you about realtors. Lawyers, Realtors, Used Car Salesman, and Engineers in that order of crooks. Engineers more specifically the ones you have to use when doing a major subdivision. If I give someone a price of $30,000 and before the job is complete hand them bills totaling $90,000 I will be thrown out of the house and they will get someone else to finish. Engineers will hold your plans hostage and no one else can even use them. They all only care about making a buck. Realtors will lie, cheat, and steal to close the deal. I got a real estate license just so I didn't have to deal with them anymore.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk