njml

Range bag

Hey all, im looking for a fairly priced range bag to keep all my stuff together in one spot. ie: ammo, hearing protection, eye protection, trauma kit etc. Any pics of your setups would be a great help. Thanks.

Join the NRA and get a free camo duffle bag.  Will work for years.

• Like 3

For many yrs I just used a big solid leather duffle bag from a garage sale for $1. Got an official one few yrs back with a gift cert from Midway but for just tossing your gear in you can go real cheap via garage sale bags.

Based on my own 5.11 Tactical range bag (same as here), I'd say they make good quality bags, though the advertised "locking" capability of the zippers is complete BS (and I notice has been removed from current listings). If you need lockable zippers, Bulldog makes a range bag that's perfect (though maybe discontinued?—eta: just checked, it's still available on Amazon). The zippers for each section form cylinders that you can slide luggage locks through. The GPS backpack is NICE (Howell Gun Works often has it in stock and Gun for Hire has their branded version if you're looking to pick up ASAP) but it's pricey and possibly wasted space here in Jersey where separate storage for firearms and ammo is required during transport.

But…I saw a gentleman at the range last week carrying a Mickey Mouse beach tote. He was completely happy with his setup and I thought his bag was awesome. :giveheart: It probably makes more sense too. A Mickey beach tote will attract far less attention than a bag that's looks like all it's missing is an NRA patch.

Edited by Cereza

Thank you everyone for your responses. Ive been looking at the GPS medium range bag. Think it has plenty of storage for whats needed. The backpack like some said maybe a waste of space for the money

as in New Jersey everything must be seperate while traveling.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Thank you everyone for your responses. Ive been looking at the GPS medium range bag. Think it has plenty of storage for whats needed. The backpack like some said maybe a waste of space for the money

as in New Jersey everything must be seperate while traveling.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Separate in NJ does not mean ammo and magazines need to be in a separate bag. IIRC FOPA says separate container.

I have the Safariland range bag and I'm very happy with it. Sturdy with lots of room.

http://www.safariland.com/products/holsters-and-gear/gun-accessories/cases-and-carriers/shooters-range-bag-32203.html

Look for a discount code and get it on sale. They're currently offering 20% off: http://www.safariland.com/march-promotion.html

When my dad worked for Wawa's corporate offices, they gave all of the employees (or at least the higher ups I guess) these nice leather gym bags. I just use that. I throw the ammo/mags in the side pockets, steel and other targets in the main pouch (and any excess ammo), and smaller do-dads like my savage mkII magazines in the front pouch. It handles the weight really well. You can probably get by with just a nice gym bag. Especially if you have rifle cases with pockets, then you can just throw magazines in there.

I've seen some range bags selling for stupid money. It's literally just a pouch to carry crap from one location to another, may as well go with something cheap. Hell, you can probably find a decent backpack at Goodwill or something for $5.

7 hours ago, Splat said:

Love my G.P.S. Handgunner Backpack. Got mine from Amazon and it handles all my crap with room to spare.

+1 I really like mine too. Got mine at Heritage Guild Rahway on a Black Friday sale a couple of years ago. Came out cheaper then online even with sales tax. 

-Jim

Jim, I wonder if you were the guy I was talking to a few people behind me at HG a few Black Fridays ago. The guy was buying that GPS pack and I told him I loved mine. Turns out we both belonged to LI range, too. Ha!  Man, that line was crazy long. I was thinking of going back this Black Friday for a few things I've been eyeballing but this time I'm bringing a lunch! :lol: