CageFighter

6.5CM....build or buy?

since I just joined New Holland, Im looking for a bolt action precision rifle in 6.5CM.  do I buy one complete or do I have it built?  

if building.....I'd prefer a BAT TR or Defiance action, AI AX chasis and a Proof CF barrel.  im leaning towards building since pricing seems lower than a factory rifle.

Any thoughts?  

I'm assuming when you say less than a factory rifle you mean like a Desert Tech or an AICS, etc?  It might not be much less but it will be exactly what you want.  

I've seen the proof barrels and I don't think they are worth the money--MHO.  For less than half you can get a Bartlein or Krieger barrel and be better off.

Speak to Mike at Tier One and get the facts about what it takes so you can make a good decision.  Also, he will tell you a properly trued factory action will shoot the same accuracy as a custom action.  

The Rugers are good but proprietary and not much after market support.  I just finished a 300WM build and should have my 6.5x47 by the weekend.  It's built on a KRG, factory trued action, Timney Calvin trigger (which I may change to a CG Jackson like my other rifle), Bartlett barrel, Nightforce 20 moa rail and rings, G2DMR Bushnell scope.  I went with Lapua instead of CM because it's a bit softer and I reload.  However, for factory ammo go with a CM.  You are welcome to try it first chance I get to cherry ridge.  

since I just joined New Holland, Im looking for a bolt action precision rifle in 6.5CM.  do I buy one complete or do I have it built?  

if building.....I'd prefer a BAT TR or Defiance action, AI AX chasis and a Proof CF barrel.  im leaning towards building since pricing seems lower than a factory rifle.

Any thoughts?  

Mike at Tier one is your guy...he built my latest 308 bolt action Rem 700, Manners stock, Bartlien Barrel. under half inch groups all day at 100 with factory loads. Have not got into reloading yet but i am curious to see how much of difference it will make in my group sizes.

• Like 1

Mike at Tier one is your guy...he built my latest 308 bolt action Rem 700, Manners stock, Bartlien Barrel. under half inch groups all day at 100 with factory loads. Have not got into reloading yet but i am curious to see how much of difference it will make in my group sizes.

I really like that stock. May do a 6x47L on that. Photos?

The Rugers are good but proprietary and not much after market support. I just finished a 300WM build and should have my 6.5x47 by the weekend. It's built on a KRG, factory trued action, Timney Calvin trigger (which I may change to a CG Jackson like my other rifle), Bartlett barrel, Nightforce 20 moa rail and rings, G2DMR Bushnell scope. I went with Lapua instead of CM because it's a bit softer and I reload. However, for factory ammo go with a CM. You are welcome to try it first chance I get to cherry ridge.

What really is not avail for the Ruger? Almost from the get go, are barrels, stocks, rail systems as in front forearm, an all ready threaded barrel, bolts, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is my first custom precision stick. I'm sure there will be more in the future. 555ce47bc6a53294fa26c01eb10ecab6.jpge54c19294046278a02b8dba9ad994e26.jpg

Very nice!

• Like 1

What really is not avail for the Ruger? Almost from the get go, are barrels, stocks, rail systems as in front forearm, an all ready threaded barrel, bolts, etc.

Color me wrong it appears there a number of choices for triggers, etc.

This is my first custom precision stick. I'm sure there will be more in the future. 555ce47bc6a53294fa26c01eb10ecab6.jpge54c19294046278a02b8dba9ad994e26.jpg

Beauty. How long ago did you pick this up?

But back on the topic...Id say go get a Ruger. I dont think you can beat it for the Money. depending on your choices, ie. a Manners stock like mine will run you $1100. Going custom will probably cost 2-3x what a Ruger cost and so far ive heard nothing but great things. If money is not the issue then build it

My ruger is a lot of fun, but then again i only just barely got it sighted in. Still needs a bit of fine tuning.
Feel free to tag along on a trip to R14 to test it out; i have the 308 model. Desperately needs a brake though, thing kicks pretty good for my size. I'm a teeny dude.

I'd have it built, but I'm an idiot.  

Hell, if you're interested in a 6.5x47, I may know where there is one coming up for sale...

Factory rifles have great support.  That's the nice part.  The thing about custom is that they are just that, custom.  Built for you.  You'll have a harder time selling and won't get your money back out of it most likely.  So, if you're gonna flip it, go factory.  If not, go custom.

And yes, I agree with Rob, from all I hear, the Proof barrels aren't quite there.  If you're not gonna have to hump the rifle, I'd do a Rock Creek myself.  That's me tho.

If you go the custom route pick your builder carefully and talk to them about what they recommend in parts. Some of the better smiths out there may take 6 months to a year. I had a 6.5x47 built by Robert Gradous and I got it in 6 months only because I told him I had a class to do, so he rushed it for me. I had the action and stock and he supplied the rest. 

I'd have it built, but I'm an idiot.

I'm ok with being an idiot.

Hell, if you're interested in a 6.5x47, I may know where there is one coming up for sale...

Where?

Just my thoughts-

If you're new to precision rifle, I would buy a Ruger PR.  Hands down, that is the best bang for your buck.  A lot of value there.  That gun will outshoot your abilities for quite soem  time with a minimal amount of tweeking.  Also, there is almost nothing that gives you that much, for $1000 give or take.  I would then spend a lil more on the best glass you can afford.

A couple of my buddies have RPR's.  In short, they are a factory "junior custom" level rifle, if that makes sense.

A custom will cost you a decent penny.  More than $1000 for sure.  IMO, if you are going custom, then you might as well get all the good shit (and not cut corners).

On a side note, I had a custom 700 pattern, short action, Defiance Deviant action 6.5C built bny Mike @Tier One Defense.  In short, GREAT work, fair prices and Mike is great to work with.  I do nto hesitate to recommend Mike@T1D.

If you want to pay for a custom, you can get some badass results.  The pic is a 3 shot sight in at 100yds.  I wasn't quite accurate but i was very precise.  probably about 1/4 of 1 MOA. Of course, not all of the credit is the gun, but it's a good part of it.

post-8150-0-72661100-1491859037_thumb.jpg

As i just posted in hot deals heading.  Tanners is going to have some rpr's for sale next week in 6.5.  Jump on it now if you want one.  1179$. 

Nevermind the photo. I was checking to see how to add photos in the new format

IMG_0828.JPG

Edited by Golf battery
Checking to see how to add photos