Mrs. Peel

"New software" slowing down permits at NJSP?

I put in for new permits early Feb. NJSP/Perryville barracks have been great. The initial officer was very pleasant. The letters were sent swiftly to my 2 references. And my only 2 calls to the barracks (the initial call to set up my appointment and 1 call after 7 weeks to check on status) were both returned the next business day, which I consider very prompt. I don't think the delay is local (and the officer pretty much said in so many words, "I do MY part efficiently... after that, it's a crap shoot."... with some dramatic eye rolls)

On the follow-up return call from a 2nd officer (yesterday) - he told me that he checked the system and my permits were actually approved 2 weeks ago, but that I would likely be waiting another 2 weeks before I get them... because of new software being installed at their main office (Trenton, I presume) causing paperwork backlogs.

2 questions:

- anyone else hear about this new software snafu/delay? Just curious.

- also, I didn't think of this until I hung up... will that extra 2-4 weeks cut into the 6-month "life" of the permits? Are they dated when originally approved by Trenton, or when issued at the local barracks? How does that work?

Thank you!

- also, I didn't think of this until I hung up... will that extra 2-4 weeks cut into the 6-month "life" of the permits? Are they dated when originally approved by Trenton, or when issued at the local barracks? How does that work?

One set of permits I picked up were dated TWO WEEKS BEFORE I got the phone call to pick them up. This happened a year or two ago, Hamilton/Trenton Barracks.

When discussing wait times it would help to make the distinction between the NJSP, and everyone else. All the local PDs do their own thing (as we all well know), whereas the state police applications ALL go through Trenton. So you can only really compare one barracks to another barracks, not a local PD.

One piece of inside info I do have is that there is exactly ONE secretary assigned to print out ALL the handgun permits for AT LEAST all of north Jersey. And we wonder why delivery is measured in months, not weeks.

I put in for some permits 15 days ago in Randolph and was told yesterday they would either be ready this Thursday or next Thursday and that is because the person that has to sign them is out on two weeks of training and is only in on Weds.  Would have been done a week earlier but one of my references was slow getting forms in and delayed the process.

I put in for some permits 15 days ago in Randolph and was told yesterday they would either be ready this Thursday or next Thursday and that is because the person that has to sign them is out on two weeks of training and is only in on Weds.  Would have been done a week earlier but one of my references was slow getting forms in and delayed the process.

Up here in Sussex County I yearn for the days of Chief Booser when I lived in Randolph. Usually took about a week. I thought that was normal. Hahahaha!

Vernon twp......14 days from the time I dropped the paperwork off til approval

Back when I lived in Vernon it this was always the case, of course it helped that I went to High School with a bunch of the officers!

Moved to Monmouth County and it now takes me several months at least!

I called the NJSP HQ on April 3rd, she did make mention of "new software" when trying to locate my information. But she didn't say it was slowing things down, didn't ask though.

Trenton cleared me. Waiting on them to go back to my local SP barracks to sit on a desk for a spell. Working on week 7. Wish I never moved old town was 3.

• Like 1

OK, new software confirmed. Thank you for that!

But, I guess I'm still trying to understand how this system actually works. What I'm hearing seems to say this:

1) the officer at the local barracks starts the process, generates and collects the references and then turns it over to Trenton.

2) Trenton does other steps - criminal check, I guess? Local trooper can then check the database and see that my permits were approved by Trenton (now nearly 4 weeks ago!).

2) But, even if he sees it's approved, he doesn't have the authority to write up those permits locally...?  In accordance with procedure, he has to wait for their centralized office in Trenton to fill out the forms and snail mail them to the local barracks? 

3) Once he receives those hard copies, and only then, can he issue them to me. 

Is that actually the way it works? :facepalm: If I'm wrong, correct me please.

And, if I'm right, has it always been that way with NJSP? Because it sounds like decentralizing the physical act of creating permits - and doing that at the local barracks - would make more sense. The current system seems needlessly bureaucratic - and almost a blatant disregard of Christie's directive reminding them to comply with the 30-day limit. Empowering the local troopers seems imperative to make thing flow faster. 

Can you imagine if a business worked like this? Oh yes, we know you're hungry... and your delicious meal was ready 30 minutes ago, but we won't be bringing it to the table for at least another hour - OR - We can see your loan was approved 4 weeks ago. Regrettably, we can't cut you the check for several more weeks...we're not even quite sure when it will happen! It boggles the mind.

​Edit: just noticed that T Bill's msg shows this was a change - that it used to be done by local barracks. When did it change?

This is my first time doing it in awhile. My old permits have my small town PD's name and chief on it. This was back before the pay for your own background check online thing started.

Now I live in a state police patrolled area so I had to file with them.

When I called Trenton the lady took awhile to find my info due to the "new system" but found me and said I was approved April 1st and was shipping out that day, April 3rd, back to my local state barracks.

No references were called yet when Trenton approved me. Not sure if my local state barracks will still call references and fill my permits out (which were said to have shipped). No clue if the chief still signs off, or if Trenton does them and it's done, or what's going on. But my barracks "doesn't have them yet".

So we wait.

A huge improvement would be going to a NY style system where you are issued a permit that allows you to posses pistols. Then you could just go to the store and purchase what you want and get it added to you permit by your local authority.

Some counties take a few weeks to do what should take no more than overnight but you can get more than one pistol a month.

This does not apply in the 5 boroughs which apparently is it's own sovereign nation.

NJ would probably make such a permit cost a few hundred dollars to further  attempt to disarm the population. The NY permit costs $117 plus $8 for any amendments ie: adding or removing a pistol but if you add 2 or more at one time it's still only $8.

Called a week and a day since my permits were mailed. Turns out they don't mail them they have some internal police delivery service. So my permits have to stop at 3 other barracks before coming back to mine.

Still waiting.

Who are you guys calling? I'm coming up on three months waiting now.

• Like 1

The firearms investigation unit, and my local barracks.

609-882-2000 the prompts are 1 3 7 then hold for more help. Say you are trying to find out the status of your permits or FID. They will look you up, tell you if they approved you, and if they mailed you back to your station. If you were approved it's in snail mail still or at your barracks.

Then call your barracks, be very nice, call maybe once a week tops.

• Like 1

Should have quoted you. Information is above. Just noticed you are buena, that's where my permits are currently. Trenton ships to Buena, my barracks picks them up from Buena "once a week or if they are in the area".

Just called. The woman told me I needed to call the State Police barracks in Buena. She was no help at all. I have already pestered them there. They said they were waiting on Trenton. Hate this friggin state.

Just called. The woman told me I needed to call the State Police barracks in Buena. She was no help at all. I have already pestered them there. They said they were waiting on Trenton. Hate this friggin state.

That's crazy she's always been insanely nice and helpful toe, maybe you got a different woman. That number IS Trenton by the way they can tell you if you are approved and when and ship date etc. Honestly the more people who annoy Trenton due to the barracks dropping the ball the more inclined they are to call the barracks themselves. The lady at Trenton called my barracks and questioned them.

I put in for new permits early Feb. NJSP/Perryville barracks have been great. The initial officer was very pleasant. The letters were sent swiftly to my 2 references. And my only 2 calls to the barracks (the initial call to set up my appointment and 1 call after 7 weeks to check on status) were both returned the next business day, which I consider very prompt. I don't think the delay is local (and the officer pretty much said in so many words, "I do MY part efficiently... after that, it's a crap shoot."... with some dramatic eye rolls)

On the follow-up return call from a 2nd officer (yesterday) - he told me that he checked the system and my permits were actually approved 2 weeks ago, but that I would likely be waiting another 2 weeks before I get them... because of new software being installed at their main office (Trenton, I presume) causing paperwork backlogs.

2 questions:

- anyone else hear about this new software snafu/delay? Just curious.

- also, I didn't think of this until I hung up... will that extra 2-4 weeks cut into the 6-month "life" of the permits? Are they dated when originally approved by Trenton, or when issued at the local barracks? How does that work?

Thank you!

Sooo what ya gonna get?

Hmmmn? Hmmmn?

Sooo what ya gonna get?

Hmmmn? Hmmmn?

I DON'T KNOW!!! LOL. So, now I'm going to spend a few months seriously exploring. My only real experience is with a borrowed .22 pistol. I have 3 permits coming. 1 is spoken for (a little Ruger 22/45 I bought awhile back, but still sitting at FFL). I want to pick that up asap, but then I'll still have 2 more permits (if I even need them - maybe I'll prefer rifles, who knows?).   

Starting this week, I'm going to borrow (or rent) every firearm I can get my hands on... (a relative has a good collection to pluck from, thankfully)... and also try out every shooting sport a beginner can access... and just figure out what I enjoy the most. I figure that's probably the best way to do this. I've been practicing bulls eye, so I'll also sign up for a local competition or 2... and see how that goes too. Between all of that, by end of July, I hope to lock down my choice to: 1 shooting sport, and hopefully, the firearm models I want for that particular sport. Then, I'll shop around for best price. I'm guessing another purchase this August possibly?? (Hey, how long do these permits last anyway? Will I need an extension?)

And God bless those of you with large collections, but I already know that won't be me...this is NOT a cheap hobby! I'd rather pour my dollars into 1 thoughtfully selected firearm (the best I can possibly afford) that I'll love and use often... rather than several mediocre quality firearms that were just stupid impulse buys (mind you, not saying any of you collectors were impulsive... just saying what I personally can or cannot afford to do). 

It's a mind-boggling process --- like being really hungry in a restaurant with 500 items on the menu! Oy.