Matroskin

Glock fiber optic sight recommendations

Gents,

I'm shooting my G19 with factory sights for few years now. Sometimes in dim light of the range I cannot see the front post, black on black background. So I started to research fiber optic front sight that would replace the original and I would keep the rear sight cause it doesn't bother me.

I ordered Dawsons FO sight but it is thinner then original (0.115 vs 0.150) so I wonder how it's going to affect accuracy when combined with original rear sight should I try 0.135? Or should I replace the rear sight as well.

Gents,

I'm shooting my G19 with factory sights for few years now. Sometimes in dim light of the range I cannot see the front post, black on black background. So I started to research fiber optic front sight that would replace the original and I would keep the rear sight cause it doesn't bother me.

I ordered Dawsons FO sight but it is thinner then original (0.115 vs 0.150) so I wonder how it's going to affect accuracy when combined with original rear sight should I try 0.135? Or should I replace the rear sight as well.

A narrower front sight is good, if you are keeping the stock rear sight.  

You want a lot of light on either side of the front sight when it is aligned in the rear notch.  A major flaw with Glock factory sights is that for many/most folks, the front sight visually fills nearly the entire rear notch, making it hard to detect sight misalignment.   The first thing I do with Glock factory front sights is remove them, sand them as thin as is feasible (just to the point where the white insert starts to show through the black plastic--I don't recall the width, but I'm pretty sure it's thicker than 0.115), then re-install.   Even then, I think they visually are too wide, but I've not found a practical way to widen the rear notch, so that's as far as I can go with stock sights. 

Those plastic "sights" that come on a Glock aren't really sights.

They are temporary placeholders until you decide what aftermarket sights you want to install.

There are about 12,345,983 different sights on the market for Glocks. Everyone has their favorite. Because of this, Glock decided to offer their pistols with the plastic sights in order to avoid charging the customer for sights they will likely not like and be swapping out for their preferred aftermarket sights. Personally, I am glad they do this. I don't want the pistol to cost $75-$100 more just so Glock can install a part I am going to remove and replace with the Ameriglo Spartan Operator sights I prefer at $80-$90 a pop.

In any case, a thin front sight with a wide notch rear will generally be marginally less precise but measurably faster to acquire i.e.: Easily able to keep hits inside a 6" circle at 25 yards, but maybe not stack rounds through the same hole, while giving you the ability to align the sights very quickly for much faster rapid hits and shorter split times at closer distance.

If it is too dim to see your front sight clearly, how well are you seeing your target? A light (specifically a weapon mounted light like a Surefire X300 or Streamlight TLR-1) may be a better answer than a FO front sight.

• Like 2

Fiber optic front sights don't have the fiber for aiming, but for finding the front sight.  You use the fiber do to acquire the front sight and place it somewhere in the rear notch, then you use the outside outline of the front sight as per the usual for the whole equal height equal light thing.  In your indoor/dim scenario the fiber sight will only do you so much good, sure it is marginally easier to pick up but you still need to see the outline to accurately aim.

On the bright side (see what I did there?)  the larger front to rear difference means you will have wider light bars on either side of the front sight which should make it easier to aim in crappy light.

PS: yes, there are times where you "aim" just with the fiber, for fast close range stuff, but I feel that is not what you are asking.

• Like 1

Thanks guys, your responses cleared some basic mis-conceptions that I had. 

And yes, the point of FO was to find that front post when aiming. Vlad, I checked FO front sight that I got in dim light and indeed its not very bright.

Also, looked at Ameriglo Cap sights as well but wasn't sure how the lumi paint will work. HE after your recommendation i'll give at a try.

I will report back in a few weeks after I try something :) 

Thank you again.

Honestly the factory Tritium OEM night sights made by Meprolight not only give you dim light sight but go back to a traditional 3 dot system and are steel as opposed to plastic, and they are the best bang for the buck at $57 installed if you send Glock your slide.

If you want to spend more than that, all the big brands at $80-150 offer tons of options for Glock -

Honestly the factory Tritium OEM night sights made by Meprolight not only give you dim light sight but go back to a traditional 3 dot system and are steel as opposed to plastic, and they are the best bang for the buck at $57 installed if you send Glock your slide.

Wait, if you send Glock your slide they will do this for 57 bucks?

Wait, if you send Glock your slide they will do this for 57 bucks?

This is correct - fill out the "service form" on their website and send it in to them - you can also get steel factory goalpost ones installed for $20 - night sights are $57

Sig charges $50 on top of the cost of their sights for this service. Glock does it for free.

• Like 1

This is correct - fill out the "service form" on their website and send it in to them - you can also get steel factory goalpost ones installed for $20 - night sights are $57

Sig charges $50 on top of the cost of their sights for this service. Glock does it for free.

What do the night sights look like? Three dot?

Why does anyone care what OEM sight options Glock offers? None of them are good compared to the plethora of aftermarket choices available today.

Also, 3 dots are probably the worst set up when it comes to acquisition speed and alignment.

Just was remarking it's a super affordable factory option for those with the crappy plastic goalpost sight markers that come with their pistols. Not getting into debate over which is superior. Plenty of LEO use factory night sights on their duty pistols.

Plenty of LEO use factory night sights on their duty pistols.

Plenty of LEO's don't shoot their guns. Plenty of LEO's can't modify their guns. Plenty of LEOs drive beaten up CrownVics. Etc etc.

The crappy plastic sights work, they beat aiming down the slide, and they are better then WWII 1911 sights by a whole lot. But they are certainly not best of breed, no matter what species we are talking about.

• Like 1

So finally, had a chance to visit the range. The new sights performed beyond my expectations, the green square is really easy to see and focus. They are also properly aligned. What changed from the stock Glock sights is POA. Sort of like in this picture, from center to under the target. Once I realize that, I got very good results. The target was approximately 5 yards away.

Thanks everyone for recommendations. 8cd27456a667de2abd350260f09c5436.jpg8479be9bffa2c07738295980850b1d69.jpg

• Like 1