Sign in to follow this  
gleninjersey

BUY 10 YEAR OLD USED CAR?

I have a 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix with 118k. Purchased in 08 with 75k on it. Runs well but few dints and dings. I LOVE this car. Have had to do zero repairs except replace break lines and do break job. It was paid off years ago.

I've seen some 2006 - 2008 used Pontiac Grand Prixs with low mileage (45-80k) for sale at reasonable prices. They are in nicer shape then mine and generally have features I would like but don't currently have (heated leather seats, sunroof etc).

Many regard the 3800 series V6 engine in these cars as a fantastic and very reliable engine. The term "bullet proof" has been used more than once by reviewers & owners to describe them. I have found this to be the case with mine so far.

My beief is my car is already 13 years old. Eventually it's goimg to need a repair. Most likely that repair will cost between $1k - $2k minimum. Why not sell it on my own or trade it in on slightly newer version with lower miles now?

Am I insane for wanting to buy the same car that was discontinued in 2008 when GMC dropped Pontiac? Should I just keep current car and see how long it goes for? I've read several people with 200 - 300k on their Grand Prix's.

Yes, that engine is good for a solid 250K 

I cannot judge for you if its worth it to you to buy a newer one.... But I had an 08 and I loved it..... 

If you are going to do the swap.... get one on the lower mileage, just so you get more bang for your buck as far as length of ownership.

I dont think you will get hurt with either choice.... keeping what you got or upgrading

Life is short, drive what you want. It's not like you are trying to justify a $50,000 car. Buying an 10-year-old car seems like a terribly rational thing to do.

You could also keep the car you have as a backup car.

I have a 1992 Buick Roadmaster Estate Wagon as an extra car. We use it as a beach car/towing rig/pickup. The car is remarkably reliable. Having an extra car around has come in mighty handy over the years and is well worth the minimal cost of insurance and registration. I will never be without an extra car again.

EDIT..... Option 3. Buy better GP. Cut the roof off the old car for a one of a kind summer fun car.

I always buy used nowadays.  Can't stomach the depreciation of cars when bought brand new

If your potential swap runs great, has low mileage, with a good price why not?  You'd be getting your moneys worth

dajonga - I was actually thinking of keeping my 04 perhaps for reason you stated.

My wife has four adult siiblings, two of which are married. My inlaws used to always have a spare car when my father inlaw worked. His company leased him a company car and he had his own personal car as well. No longer have that extra car available.

With a large family someone's car is usually in the shop at least once a year.

In the fall I bought a 2000 Mazda b3000 for a DD. My wrangler is an 06. So yeah I have no issues buying older vehicles but I don't have to pay someone to fix them when something breaks or needs to be replaced. I can do the majority of all my mechanical work.

One idea is to pay a shop to put in leather seats all around and have a moonroof put in.

I would need to have the car thoroughly checked out first. Make sure it is mechanically sound before dropping any money into aesthetics.

Anyone know a reputable shop that installs sunroofs so I can get a ballpark figure of what I'm looking at?

One idea is to pay a shop to put in leather seats all around and have a moonroof put in.

I would need to have the car thoroughly checked out first. Make sure it is mechanically sound before dropping any money into aesthetics.

Anyone know a reputable shop that installs sunroofs so I can get a ballpark figure of what I'm looking at?

Auto sunroof in Cinnaminson NJ

They may also do the leather seats.

Might be kind of pricey for a car that old though.