MartyZ

Barrel Threading near Manalapan

The title says it all. I need a place to thread the Shilen Match Barrel on my Savage .308, locally near Manalapan. I called HGW, and even though their price is pretty good they have a 3 week turnaround. I am trying to find someone locally with a decent price and turnaround time. Any suggestions? 

Ok, so i decided to pull the trigger and thread my barrel, will be cutting it down also. I will be calling T1D tomorrow to make an appointment. So now I need to know, from the experts, what should I cut it down to? This is a 24" shilen match heavy .308 barrel on a savage model 10 action.

28 minutes ago, Rob0115 said:

little bastard

That's fat bastard to you.

Anyway, I took a look at it and it's a bit pricey at $160 for the Gen 2. I was looking at the JP muzzle brake, any experience with that?

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/570743/jp-enterprises-standard-compensator-muzzle-brake-308-caliber-5-8-24-thread-925-outside-diameter-threaded-end-stainless-steel

5 hours ago, MartyZ said:

That's fat bastard to you.

Anyway, I took a look at it and it's a bit pricey at $160 for the Gen 2. I was looking at the JP muzzle brake, any experience with that?

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/570743/jp-enterprises-standard-compensator-muzzle-brake-308-caliber-5-8-24-thread-925-outside-diameter-threaded-end-stainless-steel

I don’t other than to say JP products in general are excellent. 

Finally took the gun to Mike at T1D and got it cut and threaded. Chopped 6 inches off the barrel to get it down to 20 inches and put a VG6 762 MB on it. I still need to bed the rail and am considering an MDT LSS-XL Gen 2 chassis. Hopefully I will be able to get out to the range in the next few weeks to test out the barrel mods.

20180722_181759_zpsu3nq88lp.jpg

That looks awesome.  
Why the MDT?  I've had the LSS and although it's nice, that stock is very nice.  Additionally, if you shoot in the cold, you'll really appreciate the benefits of a thermally inert material like fiberglass as opposed to aluminum.  
If you sell the stock and do the MDT, shoot me a PM.  My buddy has a couple of Savage actions that need something to sit in.  

11 minutes ago, Bully said:

That looks awesome.  
Why the MDT?  I've had the LSS and although it's nice, that stock is very nice.  Additionally, if you shoot in the cold, you'll really appreciate the benefits of a thermally inert material like fiberglass as opposed to aluminum.  
If you sell the stock and do the MDT, shoot me a PM.  My buddy has a couple of Savage actions that need something to sit in.  

I want a chassis for the AICS mags, not happy with the stock savage 4 rnd mags. I will definitely PM you if I do sell, but it is bedded so your friend will have some work removing the bedding. I might sell the stock and 3 mags as a package deal. I also have the metal trigger guard, not the cheap plastic one.

Let me know.
You can send it to CDI and they will inlet the stock for free with the purchase of their bottom metal.  Turnaround is roughly 3 weeks.  

Or, buy PTG bottom metal (I recommend buying from Brownell's not PTG directly) and have Mike inlet it.  Just a thought.  

1 hour ago, MartyZ said:

I did look at both options in the past but was not swayed for some reason, both seem to have good and bad reviews. Also, as heavy duty as the Chaote stock is, there is still a little flex far forward, which I don't like.

Ah.  Yeah.  

I just blew up your pic.  I didn't realize it is a Choate.  They seem to shoot well but I know my buddy would pass.  

Good luck.  Pics when you decide what to do.  It's never easy.  

Is your action a 4.4 or 4.25?

it's a 4.4 with bottom bolt release. I have decided to go with the MDT LSS XL Gen 2 and have a Luth AR stock, that I am selling on another thread, good thing it didn't sell. Will have to get some black Rit dye because the stock is FDE.

Now I need to decide if I want to spend another $150 for a folding stock adapter. Either way, gotta wait at least another month for the cash to come in. Will post picks when done. 

Will be selling the original Savage mags here shortly.

Well, after exactly 2 years since starting this build, and multiple threads on this forum, my savage bolt gun is finally complete, the exact way that I want it.

Here is the original thread: https://www.njgunforums.com/forum/index.php?/topic/83258-savage-16-build-up/#comment-1064471

20180911_151451_zpsittn1jxq.jpg

Note: I will be selling the original mags in the very near future and a Savage steel trigger guard for the low bolt release models.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, silverado427 said:

So What your expiation of the rifle's ability.

I was getting sub-moa with the choate stock and a non threaded 26" barrel, but I was getting a lot of recoil and I hated the savage mags. I am not hoping for better accuracy, because the rifle already shot better then me. But with the MB I am hoping for less recoil and from the chassis I got what I wanted, AICS mag compatibility, Pistol grip, and adjustable stock, I can also add a folding stock adapter if I want to. I didn't save much on weight, maybe 6oz, but for a 13 pound gun that is not much. Also, I can balance the weight if need be by adding it to the A2 buffer tube, varmint barrel makes it front heavy.