Sign in to follow this  
Inc88

Taurus 605 snub nose?

So I have an Ar15 lower that just sits after my most recent build and I've decided to try to sell it to help fund a new revolver. This will be my first revolver( not first pistol tho ) but I have shot my coworkers Taurus who recommended I check out the 605. I was checking a few out at the recent oaks gun show and I like the feel, the exposed hammer, and that its in 357. I know a snub nose 357 isnt practical but never the less id like to pick one up but I know ill mostly shoot 38/38+p out of it. I know Taurus guns have had issues in the past but from what I've read their revolvers are decent shooters. The price point is also a big factor for me ( trying to stay around 300$ ) otherwise Id probably check out a S&W or Ruger. Has anyone on here owned a 605 or have any hands on experience with one and able to give me the skinny on them? If you don't recommend one can you tell me what happened and do you know of any other snub nose 357s in DA/SA?

Its a phenomenal snub nose J-frame for the price - I have one in stainless - basically you have Taurus, Ruger, and S&W, all progressively more expensive -

No issues with it but I don't shoot it too much - 357 is pretty brutal out of a snubby but you'll be shooting 38's mostly anyway -

Taurus has a sweet set of wooden Rosewood grips with a pinky rest which I bought for it for $30 - go for it, everyone needs a sweet snubbie.  Its my only 357/38 for now, my wifes grandfather has a K-frame 6 shot Model 66?  I think, that he is going to gift to me eventually and then I'll have a reason to buy ammo in higher quantities for the revolvers -

If shooting mostly 38s out of a snubby would you consider a 9MM snubby? A lot cheaper on ammo without much difference. Just a thought that's all. I have a full size Ruger 4" and with full load 357s it's more than a handful.

Thanks for the replies! I'm also a reloader so 38/357 would be a new caliber i can add to my collection. I've asked around on other websites but most of the negative replays about Taurus I got were from people that didn't have any personal stories and were repeating stories they read on the internet or heard from a friend of a friend. I do plan on putting some miles on the gun too, my work hours allow me to shoot m-f before i go to work so I end up getting high round count through all my firearms lol. Another reason I like its price point is the money not spent go to ammo and reloading supplies lol

Taurus makes good, functional revolvers. I have a 605 that works just fine. I would definitely recommend them to anyone.

Their semi autos? I don't like

Agree with you Ray - on their semi-autos I will say that the polymer ones I do not like at all and have a horrendous record of reliability - I do also have a PT1911 stainless in addition to my 605 and both have been extremely nice and reliable knock on wood - although they are mostly "safe queens" and beauty pistols for me -

• Like 1

I had one and will disagree with the above.  It was actually two Taurus revolvers in one, my first and my last.  Went out of time within 50 rounds.  Had to go back to the factory and although it was fixed quickly, I would never have trusted it again so I sold it and won't buy another.  

I know of several folks that like them a lot.  My experience was most likely in the minority.  

If you want to be patient you can shop around for a used Ruger or S&W. Might cost a bit more than the Taurus though. I recently got a S&W model 36 with ankle holster for $350.

I have a Taurus 405 (.40) revolver.  It hurts to shoot and doesn't like aluminum cased ammo, but otherwise I like to take it out to the range once in a while.  When using brass cased ammo, I've never had a problem with it.

Do keep an eye on the timing. Topher is sharp and recognized it right away.  I don't know if I'd catch it as quick as he did,

How do you check the timing on a revolver?

I had a Charter Arms revolver that fell out of time. The gun just wouldn't fire. The firing pin wasn't hiting the primer.

Zeke and Ray ++++ to that

357's are cool to keep in your speedloaders for Instagram pics to grab broads attention but shooting Wise be like 38 +P all day

Replace "broads" with "your buddies"