Averagejoeshmo

Paintball gun for self defense?

I was considering getting a paintball pistol, with pepper balls.

I live in a small ranch house, so if anyone did break in I wouldn't have time to get a gun out of the safe. I also have 3 kids so I'm not comfortable with having a loaded gun in a speed vault.

Do you think the paintball gun could buy me enough time to get to a real one?

Those are some short answers

What do you want to hear...

Pepper balls are not like mace or pepper spray. You are shooting someone with a paintball gun... no more, no less. It has been quite a few years since I played, but it wasn't incapacitating to be hit. Have someone with the determination to do whatever you are trying to stop them from doing... a paintball gun isn't going to cut it.

If you are in fear of your life (or family members' lives), you can do what needs to be done. Going with a paintball gun kind of precludes you aren't worried enough by the threat. Similar idea with shoot to wound... you then have a pissed off threat.

I'd voice the same no that was mentioned previously. You didn't say ages of children... why not introduce them to shooting in a mature way, and get them to the point where you feel safe with a secured firearm? Or go with a fingerprint safe?

Pepperballs in a confined space are a bad idea.

That's what I was thinking. 

I know they're not as good as the push button ones, but I'd go with a biometric handgun safe out of reach from your kids. 

What do you want to hear...

Pepper balls are not like mace or pepper spray. You are shooting someone with a paintball gun... no more, no less. It has been quite a few years since I played, but it wasn't incapacitating to be hit. Have someone with the determination to do whatever you are trying to stop them from doing... a paintball gun isn't going to cut it.

If you are in fear of your life (or family members' lives), you can do what needs to be done. Going with a paintball gun kind of precludes you aren't worried enough by the threat. Similar idea with shoot to wound... you then have a pissed off threat.

I'd voice the same no that was mentioned previously. You didn't say ages of children... why not introduce them to shooting in a mature way, and get them to the point where you feel safe with a secured firearm? Or go with a fingerprint safe?

Kids are 5, 10 ,and 11

And they are smart, smarter ,and borderline evil genius so my wife doesn't want anything loaded.

Completely your decision, but I was using firearms at the age of your older two... and was very safe with them.

Shying things away from kids makes them want to seek them out even more... whether you or your wife think it is dangerous, yes, just leaving a loading gun out without any talk is a bad idea. Securing it for ease of use when needed can be done easily/safely, and the "talk" is a backup. A firearm owner that is a parent should have a talk with their kids about respect of firearms. Fingerprint safe, and the override keys are stored in your main safe... done.

But back to the discussion, if you are worried about them with a loaded firearm... what about a paintball gun loaded with pepper balls? Kind of back at square one (might not kill someone, but you can really screw someone up at close range with no protective gear).

Do you think the paintball gun could buy me enough time to get to a real one?

Some of them are pretty sturdy. If you bashed the intruder in the face hard enough with the gun, it might buy you enough time.

• Like 1

I aprrecuste the extreme intelligence of your children but how exactly are they going to figure out how the combo or biometrics on a speed safe? Hint: don't tell them the code.

An FN 303 WILL get the job done.  There are multiple rounds available that will stop an intruder in his tracks.  Forget the pepper stuff., There are much better rounds available. I dont know if it will buy any more time to get your real gun... but they hurt...bad.