gfl216

Drones, what do you know about them?

Tell me what you know about drones, not the military kind, the kind you or I can own.

How far can they fly from the operator and how are they guided?

How skilled would one have to be to hover outside a window and fly between houses?

Is this something that a kid could do or would it be a learned skill?

If a learned skill, where would one learn this?

Hypothetically if a drone were to crash or by other means end up in someone's possession could it be traced back to it's owner so that their property could be returned to them and ensure that they receive any and all compensation that they are entitled to?

Not too hard to fly. 

Few days practice can fly between houses easily. 

Kid will be able to learn it far more quickly than an adult. 

If a drone crashes in the woods does it make a sound?

You need an FAA license for any commercial use.

Otherwise, if the drone weighs over 0.5 lbs it has to be registered, so that it can be traced to you.

Also, without a special waiver, you can't fly at night, over people, higher than 400', further away than you can see with your naked eye, or within 5 miles of any airport.

Flying between houses won't make you any friends.   Hovering outside a window may result in your drone being destroyed by any means available to the resident--it certainly would here.   

"Flying between houses won't make you any friends. Hovering outside a window may result in your drone being destroyed by any means available to the resident--it certainly would here."

This brings me to my next question?  How hard is it bring down a drone? How hard would you have to hit it with a rock or maybe long pole? Unfortunately a shotgun is not an option where I live.

"Flying between houses won't make you any friends. Hovering outside a window may result in your drone being destroyed by any means available to the resident--it certainly would here."

This brings me to my next question?  How hard is it bring down a drone? How hard would you have to hit it with a rock or maybe long pole? Unfortunately a shotgun is not an option where I live.

I'm not sure, but they look fairly fragile (they have to be built light), and I'd think putting anything through one of the rotor disks would bring one down.   Up to second-floor height, a thrown rock or tennis ball may well do the trick.

Personally, I'd favor a blunt-tipped flu-flu arrow.   Made for hunting birds, they are short range and silent.

Big butterfly net. Pole saw. Pool skimmer.

The Air Force is currently testing shotgun shells with a net load. The thought is to capture without destroying.

This leads to an interesting debate. How far up do your property rights extend?

What are you thinking about flying between houses?  You do know these things are generally VERY loud.  The better ones these days are all GPS guided and with some you can pre-program a flight plan with specific points to hit along the way.  You could actually program it to circle your house and then land with no input other than you than telling it to take off.

Sounds to me like the Op has a spy --  Someone's been doing it to him -- maybe looking in his daughters window?

OP --  It's someone fairly close by -- I can't imagine the range being very far between houses

Probably a lot of money in that drone -- If you can disable it, and take possession I would bet the operator will come looking for it --

Even better disable and leave it lay - set a trap -- Operator will definitely come looking for it if he things it just went down for no reason

If this was my house -- I'd have fishing line strung everywhere --  Won't be able to see it in the camera of the drone and it will certainly tangle up the props and make that drone drop like a rock

Go get that bastard...

• Like 2

Sounds to me like the Op has a spy -- Someone's been doing it to him -- maybe looking in his daughters window?

OP -- It's someone fairly close by -- I can't imagine the range being very far between houses

Probably a lot of money in that drone -- If you can disable it, and take possession I would bet the operator will come looking for it --

Even better disable and leave it lay - set a trap -- Operator will definitely come looking for it if he things it just went down for no reason

If this was my house -- I'd have fishing line strung everywhere -- Won't be able to see it in the camera of the drone and it will certainly tangle up the props and make that drone drop like a rock

Go get that bastard...

Going with your assumption

I'd have fishing line and hooks vertical off of a horizontal guide line.

It's fishing time!

The drone is linked to the controller. Catch it call pd. Best case, somebody gets a stern talking too, and no more peepers.

Heavy & Zeke are correct. I thought of the fishing line but there is really place to hang it from. I have a 30' aluminum pole that I use to vacuum the pool. I figure that if I buy some beer and sit out by the shed in the dark and he comes back I will have a pretty good chance swatting it down.

Tie a bunch of fishing line on the pole. That way if you just miss the line might tangle it. If you need fishing line and your around flemington I literally have miles of old line. Your welcome to take what you need.

Been hearing the noise on and off for almost 2 weeks. Always around 10PM and couldn't figure out where it was coming from until last night. I was taking a piss and looked out the window and a drone was hovering right outside the window. It was blacked out and I only saw it because the bathroom light reflected off the camera lens. I ran outside in the direction that it flew off but couldn't find anyone. After doing a little research it looks like the operator could have miles away or right next door. Who ever was operating it definitely knows that I saw it because for some dumb reason my first reaction was to give it the finger and yell "mother fucker someone is going to die" although I'm not sure if they record audio.   

Why is everyone so calm about this? I'd be super pissed if a drone was looking through my bathroom window. I do like the idea of sitting outside with a case of beer and waiting for it to come back. Seems like some really nice spring time entertainment. 

How loud was it?

Typically something high end is loud and usually has directional lights. It can always be blacked out.

If it was silent it was probably from a close neighbor

Big butterfly net. Pole saw. Pool skimmer.

The Air Force is currently testing shotgun shells with a net load. The thought is to capture without destroying.

This leads to an interesting debate. How far up do your property rights extend?

Paint balls at the ready for those that encroach.

Been hearing the noise on and off for almost 2 weeks. Always around 10PM and couldn't figure out where it was coming from until last night. I was taking a piss and looked out the window and a drone was hovering right outside the window. It was blacked out and I only saw it because the bathroom light reflected off the camera lens. I ran outside in the direction that it flew off but couldn't find anyone. After doing a little research it looks like the operator could have miles away or right next door. Who ever was operating it definitely knows that I saw it because for some dumb reason my first reaction was to give it the finger and yell "mother fucker someone is going to die" although I'm not sure if they record audio.   

It's someone you know or whoever they are looking at knows -- may not be friendly with but someone in your household will know this person -- Probably a neighbor

Everyone always talks about range with the drones -- Yes they can fly far and be controllable but they don't have a huge flight time -- Going for miles is most likely a one way trip

This person knows there is something of interest in that window -- on a regular schedule --  What happens in that bathroom around 10PM?  

It most likely is not coincidental that the drone pilot just happened to find your bathroom window -- He or she knew to look there

If it's getting close enough to see in a partially open window then it's close enough to be trapped 

How about a pole extending from the peak of your roof -- with fishing line hanging from it - A lot of fishing line -- Can even be anchored to the ground

How close is the neighbors house? -- Can you string line between both houses? Just be sure this neighbor isn't the pilot.

If the neighbor isn't close, and you have some property, how about running a cable from the peak of your house anchored to the ground as far away as possible -- then hang fishing line from that

You just have to tangle 1 prop and it comes down fast

A friend has a new DJI.

4000 foot lateral range. Auto return. Built in camera.

About $1000.

I have that one(Actually, I have the $300 more expensive version with extra batteries and such).  DJI Mavic Pro.   It's an amazing piece of technology.

It folds up to the size of a small thermos, has a 4.3 mile range, has 29 minutes of battery and is solid as a rock when hovering.  It also has forward object avoidance.

There are limitations...the controller pretty much must have line of sight.   Buildings, trees, terrain...etc all will block the controller and initiate return to home.

The camera is 4k gimbal stablized.  It's totally awesome.

Here's a video I did recently.

It's someone you know or whoever they are looking at knows -- may not be friendly with but someone in your household will know this person -- Probably a neighbor

Everyone always talks about range with the drones -- Yes they can fly far and be controllable but they don't have a huge flight time -- Going for miles is most likely a one way trip

This person knows there is something of interest in that window -- on a regular schedule --  What happens in that bathroom around 10PM?  

It most likely is not coincidental that the drone pilot just happened to find your bathroom window -- He or she knew to look there

If it's getting close enough to see in a partially open window then it's close enough to be trapped 

How about a pole extending from the peak of your roof -- with fishing line hanging from it - A lot of fishing line -- Can even be anchored to the ground

How close is the neighbors house? -- Can you string line between both houses? Just be sure this neighbor isn't the pilot.

If the neighbor isn't close, and you have some property, how about running a cable from the peak of your house anchored to the ground as far away as possible -- then hang fishing line from that

You just have to tangle 1 prop and it comes down fast

My number 1 suspect is my next door neighbor. I know he had a drone but I haven't seen it in a while. When I confronted him he claimed that he sold it a few years back but other neighbors said that they have seen him with one as recent as last fall. Now when he sees me acts real nervous and immediately goes inside his house.