SuRrEaLNJ

tympanostomy tubes? my 14Mo old needs em, lookin for experiences

so my older son has failed every hearing test since he was born due to excesive fluid in his ears, and has had a couple of ear infections now. now that hes past 12 months the drs are looking to tubes to facilitate draining. while were not normally uptight parents the thought of surgery on the kid is a little unsetleing, and some feedback from those who have had, or those whos kids have had them done would be appreciated.

I have had PLENTY! No big deal, back then there were two types, temporary and permanent. I always got the temporary. Eventually the ear drum heals and pushes them out into the ear canal and they come out, just like wax. Biggest problem is keeping water out of the ear canal! That can be tough if you can't get your kid to understand. Can easily get ear infections if you get water in them while swimming/bathing. You learn. Hearing again was awesome, no more ringing was awesome!

so my older son has failed every hearing test since he was born due to excesive fluid in his ears, and has had a couple of ear infections now. now that hes past 12 months the drs are looking to tubes to facilitate draining. while were not normally uptight parents the thought of surgery on the kid is a little unsetleing, and some feedback from those who have had, or those whos kids have had them done would be appreciated.

When I was 8 (32 years ago) I had one surgery where I had tubes put in my ears, my tonsils taken out, and adenoids removed all at once.  The only downside I experienced with the tubes in my ears was that I had to wear custom fitted earplugs when swimming.  After a few years the tubes came out on their own.  It was totally worth it, my hearing dramatically improved.

Had this done on my twins last year. Non stop ear infections, always on antibiotics. Since done they have never had another ear infection. They both would have 1-2 and month sometimes prior to this and every time we went to the doctor there was fluid in their ears. The ear was the easiest part of the surgeries. Same day both twins had tube done, tonsils out and adinoids out. Talk about a week of misery. They had no complaints ever about the ears that week or ever again. I have a great doctor if you need one

• Like 1

i think hes starting to get frustrated because he cant communicate what he wants well and they think the hearing is limiting his talking

our pediatrician recommended  ENT&allergy by us, so that is where we've been going for all the hearing screenings, but ill never turn down a recommendation.  

• Like 1

Both my kids were also havr trouble communicating and were in speech therapy. Doctor equated it to trying to listen underwater. Just weeks after surgery both boys made tremendous strides in speaking. It was amazing to see. To watch your kids struggle to communicate and be frustrated was heartbreaking for me. Afterwards I remember a day where we were just sitting around talking with the boys and I broke down. I realized how much of a difference it made and watching them finally be able to speak to me was something I will never forget. Knowing we did the right thing and watching their success is something worth more than anything else.

• Like 3

I'm 54 and just had them put in.    About a year ago I developed a Eustachian tube problem,  ears popping, wheezing, hurting constantly.   Went to my regular ENT who didn't see anything and finally got an MRI to rule out anything bad,   MRI showed something in inner ear so I was sent to a otolaryngologist who does surgery.  She had all the specialized equipment for ears and was able to show me my eardrums on a large screen TV and they were filled with fluid completely, I could even see the air bubbles and stuff in there.    She did the procedure right in her office, didn't have to get knocked out like my son,  She just numbed the eardrums and poked a hole in them and instant relief,  it took about 10 minutes.  I just went back for a 1 month follow up and all is still good.   not sure where you live, this doctor works out of west orange and summit.  If you want Dr info let me know

I am one of those kids who needed tubes in my ears and didn't get them. Long story short, in my late 30's I had to have 2 operations, 1 on each ear to correct/rid my ears of Cholesteatoma's (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cholesteatoma). The damage caused in my left ear was greater than my right. I lost about 50% hearing in my left ear. My doctor, who is some kind of miracle worker, replaced the middle ear bone in my left ear with a titanium bone and rebuilt my ear. I now have about 85%-90% hearing in the left ear. I joke now and say I have a bionic ear (have to carry a metal prosthesis implant card around with me).

Do your son a favor and get the tubes now. It will eliminate future problems like mine.

• Like 1

His apointmet is scheduled already. They set it up after the last folowup he had.

I know he needs it and that its minor, but theres been a couple of medical oopses with me, so im somewhat aprehensive around drs.

Diamondd, i think your tale alone is enough to ease my wife about them operating on her first born

Revenger, im in bergen co

Newtonian, can you elaborate?

I am one of those kids who needed tubes in my ears and didn't get them. Long story short, in my late 30's I had to have 2 operations, 1 on each ear to correct/rid my ears of Cholesteatoma's (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cholesteatoma). The damage caused in my left ear was greater than my right. I lost about 50% hearing in my left ear. My doctor, who is some kind of miracle worker, replaced the middle ear bone in my left ear with a titanium bone and rebuilt my ear. I now have about 85%-90% hearing in the left ear. I joke now and say I have a bionic ear (have to carry a metal prosthesis implant card around with me).

Do your son a favor and get the tubes now. It will eliminate future problems like mine.

I had a similar issue. My parents waited to long to have the tubes put in and long story short I needed my eardrum rebuilt when I was 11 (now 33) unfortunately before arthroscopic surgery was an option. Pretty much cut my whole ear off. I'm no DR but I'd say nip the issue in the bud before it becomes a bigger problem.

My son had tubes when he was 10 months. It's a VERY simple procedure. His took literally less than 15 minutes. He went from making no sounds, to babbling within days. Ear infections went away. His fell out on their own about a year ago, and he has had two minor ear infections since, but nothing warranting tubes again. Your kid will be fine, and this will be very good for him. Best of luck!

I had em a few times when i was a kid. I remember when my last set fell out, pretty cool.. had issues with fluids and nonstop inflections since i was a newborn.. after 2 or 3 sets of tubes im all good now, fortunately.