panteramatt

Looking for Pet suggestions

4 of my last 5 pets were "on in years" when they came to me --- either through rescue leagues, or from a little old lady who went into a nursing home, etc., etc. Paid between 75 (for the birds) and 250 (for the dogs). Each one a WONDERFUL pet... and I was delighted to give them a home. So, I tend to agree. That said, everyone's got their own dream... and are free to spend their money as they please. Lots of people on here who also might not pay top dollar for a particular exotic pet... would spend thousands "tricking out" a perfectly functional firearm to customize it to their liking. I say... whatever makes ya happy!  As long as it's not hurting anyone else, your money is YOUR money - to be spent how you see fit.

But again, raccoon is a great choice!

Those people have more $ then brains. Not to sound harsh but it's stupid to spend major $ on something with a short life span.

depends on the animal. I had a boa for 10 years. He fathered thousands of dollars of baby's for me when I had a boa breeding colony.

I will stick with my dogs.  Just spend a little more time with them.  Why not get her a dog training or agility training class?  Or, instead of getting a pet, go and do some horseback riding or something.

We both had rabbits our whole lives. Liked them but you need to keep the cage outdoors as it smells bad and Im looking at something a little "different"

My 2.5 lb. Netherland dwarf has free reign in the kitchen and laundry room. Absolutely loves to play around people and get pet. He doesn't smell at all; just have to change his litter box every couple days (cardboard boxes with pine chips or paper litter and timothy hay. I just throw out the boxes and make a new one from whatever Xerox box I don't need).

Most rabbits aren't as friendly as he is though. Also I'm concerned about hawks snatching him when I take him outside. One of the reasons why I think I'll get a 40 lb. Flemish Giant next so I don't need to worry about birds of prey.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

This thing has way more personality than a rat. I can watch him for hours.

Rats are very smart, have different personalities and can problem solve. They also make pretty good pets.

Ferrets are great, you can get them decented.. which dont smell as much.

But I highly recommended a Rat! My personal fav are hairless ones: dumbo rex. Awesome animals smart as shit. Very loving and addictive. Easy to train. I went everywhere with mine.

Another amazing pet i had was a pot belly pig. Talk about a smart animal, affectionate. He was hard to get rid of. He lived inside with us just like the dog. Lol But after he grew to 150 lbs and was able to tear the carpet up with a swipe of his nose. Couldn't keep em. Luckily was able to donate him to johnsons park.

Now they have minpigs or teacup pigs. Just have to research the breeder.

Some sell potbellys as mins.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Yes I do like hairless rats but you guys gotta remember this was for my wife's birthday. What kind of guy gets his wife a rat? A single one! And yes she wants a pig, goats, sheep, you name it but not til we move. Anyway, we LOVE this ferret. Anyone who badmouths ferrets either never had one or has no idea how to train them. I can't imagine a more fun animal, you can't name one! He plays with my 135 lb dog all day and I just watch him for freaking hours.

We had 2 ferrets. Ours lived for around 7 years. Great pets. Very entertaining. Bath him once a week, more if possible, we used Johnson no tear shampoo. We used to let them run around the house free range when we were home. You have to ferret proof the house, block off all small holes where them can crawl into, and eventually fall asleep in. Hardest thing is to litter train them, setup a litter box like for cats, put him in it when it looks like he has to go.

This it correct.

My wife just corrected me on the type of shampoo. Apparently she used a ferret shampoo bought at the store. We did bath them that often though. There was an old lady across the street at the time that had a female she would bath every day. Mittens the ferret smelled nice every day.