Bigger bonuses

Pay for my boots

Dont have to deal with insubordinates anymore

No union dues

Cons:

TERRIBLE retirement

not sure on the o.t. availability

dont get paid for the first and last half hour of traveltime

OP I think the new opportunity if a better deal overall. You say you have a pension but you don't. It's not vested yet Even if it was vested you could not touch it till you retired and you are nowhere near retirement. If you walk away from it I'd assume you could easily make it back up with the better salary, bigger bonuses and investing the union dues you would have contributed into your own 401K. It sounds like you said the new company will contribute to your .25 for every $1.00 to your 401K up to 4%. That's free money and it's yours once you are vested too.The money that you invest in your 401K will always follow you. They are going to pay for your truck as well so more money to save! 

How's that sound so far? Look at the medical as well that comes into play when discussing employment. How much does it cost you now versus how much it will cost you at the new job? Does the company absorb some of the costs? 

Also to have to work with a bunch of slackers always leaning on the unions to me is a waste of time. I've heard stories of people paying dues and when they are laid off or furlowed its seniority first. At two years I doubt you have much seniority there.Just my opinion. I understand others may think differently regarding unions but that's my opinion.

Let me know what you guys think....

Ever planning on kids? We all don't think about these things right away but flexibility and family oriented firms are always a great place to work for. Just saying....

As always it's great to hear other experiences to give you insight on what can or cannot be.........Hopes this all helps. 

OP I think the new opportunity if a better deal overall. You say you have a pension but you don't. It's not vested yet Even if it was vested you could not touch it till you retired and you are nowhere near retirement. If you walk away from it I'd assume you could easily make it back up with the better salary, bigger bonuses and investing the union dues you would have contributed into your own 401K. It sounds like you said the new company will contribute to your .25 for every $1.00 to your 401K up to 4%. That's free money and it's yours once you are vested too.The money that you invest in your 401K will always follow you. They are going to pay for your truck as well so more money to save! 

How's that sound so far? Look at the medical as well that comes into play when discussing employment. How much does it cost you now versus how much it will cost you at the new job? Does the company absorb some of the costs? 

Also to have to work with a bunch of slackers always leaning on the unions to me is a waste of time. I've heard stories of people paying dues and when they are laid off or furlowed its seniority first. At two years I doubt you have much seniority there.Just my opinion. I understand others may think differently regarding unions but that's my opinion.

That right there is your absolute most full opinion and thought to the to the bank, And consider. Just about exactly what I would have suggested if I didnt read thru all the posts,          Wise words above.

That's the thing Zeke they can't. The pay scale is determined by the union. I know they would but they cannot

Not trying to dissuade you from the new position, but even though scale is determined by the union the company can choose to pay you over scale.

This saves me from having to type a lengthy response. Pretty much on point.

Keep in mind the company can terminate their participation in the pension plan at any time. If you are not vested, you'll be screwed. It happened to a friend of mine. Basically, one day it was announced that who had 10 years in was vested and had a pension later on. Everybody else, TS. Here's a measly matching to your 401k and consider yourself lucky. My friend was on the TS group.

His place is non union, so I don't know if the rules are different.