Sign in to follow this  
jiujiujiu

Shooting in the backyard

Hey, gunbros.  I want to zero my rifle scope in my backyard.  I have some acres and a lot of woods behind that.  I need to call upon your collective wisdom to provide what laws I need to abide by to do this without risking the wrath of Democrats.

So what are the rules for shooting in the backyard? Minimum distance to other residence? Can't do it ever because NJ sucks? TEACH ME

Rule of thumb but not always true, is towns usually have "no discharge" ordinance and townships do not.  Always check though, of course.  

I'm in Port Murray(unincorporated town), Mansfield township, warren county.  I was told by the police to be safe and check with my neighbors as a courtesy.  Initially they started regurgitating the hunting regs (400 feet away from house, road, whatever) but when I pushed and said im NOT hunting i'm just shooting, they agreed there are no regulations at all.

I verbally checked with my town, but the townships ordinances were at the time "unavailable" due to them being transitioned from paper to electronic.  I was directed to talk to the police dept which I always advise NOT to ask such things, but I did so anyways.  Long story short, Mansfield township law enforcement is on "our" side.  

• Like 3

Good for you bro,  If you have the land and are a responsible shooter.  Or anyone for that matter. imo  you should be able to build a shooting range on you're property.  

One thing I found was the closest dwelling has to be min 500ft away.  

Hope it works out for ya.  

When I put inground pool in my last house. They trucked it the 1000 ft. to end of property for a berm. 7 miles to next house behind mine! Shoot away!

My parents are able to shoot on their property, and I will tell biggest thing to remember is you are responsible for every bullet you discharge no matter what insane scenario (Google will bring up some unbelievable cases). I highly recommend pushing up a berm or use a woodpile or whatever. Trees behind for anything errant.

Happy shooting!

Good for you bro,  If you have the land and are a responsible shooter.  Or anyone for that matter. imo  you should be able to build a shooting range on you're property.  

One thing I found was the closest dwelling has to be min 500ft away.  

Hope it works out for ya.  

Is the law NO discharge ordinance AND 550 feet? Or can you shoot on your own property even if it's less than that distance?

Going through a little legal/illegality thing with my twsp right now. No discharge law here. But if you apply and get checked out you can get a permit to make it ok. Buttt. The twsp has issues with me. So im getting the run around. Yeah. Were just slaves and servants of the municipal court system.

Ill win though.

• Like 1