Samdjr74

44 Mag Desert Eagle problems

Glad to see your getting on track. Keep us posted.

It is a 44 mag so it has to be able to fire magnum loads safely, so it is designed to do so. problem is most magnum loads come up short. 

As a reloader you learn how to assemble quality ammo for such a firearm.

bullet design also comes into play the XTP is probably the best round for entry of the DE i have over the years found many FMJ bullets that work well.

Soft points just do not work they do not hold up under the stress  foul and cause jams.

it is a learning process once you have that down it will be very fun to shoot.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, tony357 said:

Glad to see your getting on track. Keep us posted.

It is a 44 mag so it has to be able to fire magnum loads safely, so it is designed to do so. problem is most magnum loads come up short. 

As a reloader you learn how to assemble quality ammo for such a firearm.

bullet design also comes into play the XTP is probably the best round for entry of the DE i have over the years found many FMJ bullets that work well.

Soft points just do not work they do not hold up under the stress  foul and cause jams.

it is a learning process once you have that down it will be very fun to shoot.

Thanks Tony for the help. Yeah, I agree there's a learning process on this pistol. The only problem is that learning process isn't cheap :) Ventura Munitions makes a load specifically for DE's. They are out of stock now but I'm thinking about buying a box of that. Good thing is, what ever my DE doesn't like, my 29-3 has no problem with so nothing goes to waste.

• Like 1

SJSPs work great in the .357 though ;) I suspect because it gets up nice and high on the feed ramp(s). 

It does tend to need full zorch loads though given the gas operated design with a lot of spring behind it. 

Given the mass at work, anything stove piped tends to get mangled, SJSP or not. 

• Like 1

Ok, final update on my DE. After G&S fixed the slide issue and made a new spring for the slide catch (the original one was broke) I tried the new ammo I got from Ventura and the gun is working fine now. The only issues I had were do to me not having a tight enough grip on it. But once I readjusted my stance and grip it was fine. I got 50 rounds through it and it shot remarkable accurately even with my grip not being perfect for the gun.

So again, thanks all for the help and advice!

• Like 1