emulzhn

Multiple Handgun Exemption + P2P

hello Gang,

would the gods of NJ handgun laws shed some light on me please?

5 weeks ago, I filed for the application for three handguns..... got it today and raced over to my FFL,  When I got there, he tells me that I need a P2P for each handgun in addition to the app for exemption..   I call back to my Local PD and inform them of this and they claim that that is all what I need... and do not need individual P2P for each handgun... which one is it?

all in all, did not get squat today but more applications for P2P... What is going on?

if the Police knew that I needed three separate P2P, why didn't they provide them when they approved my app for the exemption...

a little background...

( I purchase the handguns from a private citizen ... who handed them to my FFL, until I got the exemption back from NJSP...)

somebody please enlighten me... 

( I purchase the handguns from a private citizen ... who handed them to my FFL, until I got the exemption back from NJSP...)

Why did you have him drop them off at a dealer? He could have just held them for you and signed as the sellers on your exemption application; then met face to face upon the NJSP granting your exemption.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

It says on form SP-015:

Applicants wishing to acquire handguns must still first obtain a Permit to Purchase a Handgun & Form of Register prior to
the transference of a handgun as required by N.J.S. 2C:58-3a

It says on form SP-015:

Applicants wishing to acquire handguns must still first obtain a Permit to Purchase a Handgun & Form of Register prior to

It should say "permits" plural to avoid the OP's police chief's confusion.

The seller did not want to wait for me to obtain the exemption... and certainly wasn't going to wait every month to clear 31 days for each..

Wow...

So maybe the PD should have ask me if I had P2p to go along with them.. {or maybe my FFL}... . or I could have just read.. or could have posted here 5 weeks ago...

Seems redundant though.. thanks all...

Why did you have him drop them off at a dealer? He could have just held them for you and signed as the sellers on your exemption application; then met face to face upon the NJSP granting your exemption.

It says on form SP-015:

That's right. You still need P2P for each handgun on your approved exemption. Your local PD is wrong.

Fortunately there is no expiration date on the Multiple Handgun Exemption. 

How many permits did you ask for on the application?

ETA: 

5 weeks ago, I filed for the application for three handguns..... 

There are 2 applications that you filled out {STS-033 and SP-015}. Are you saying that you applied for one handgun permit under the STS-033 at the same time that you did the SP-015 for the three?

yup... learning... the laws... first time using Multiple.. exemption...

almost as bad as applying for Grad school...

Well if you get your permits through a local PD that returns them in a reasonable amount of time you'll be OK. Live, learn, and wait. But it will feel good when you walk out with a gaggle of handguns.

If I made that mistake with the NJSP I'd suffer a 3+ month wait. That's why IACTBAL.

How many permits did you ask for on the application?

ETA: 

There are 2 applications that you filled out {STS-033 and SP-015}. Are you saying that you applied for one handgun permit under the STS-033 at the same time that you did the SP-015 for the three?

I believe FFL and I filed SP015 and SP016 .... and did not fill out STS-033...    thinking the first two would suffice... as all gun info including serial no were included.. 

so NO permits were requested... but just exemption forms....  

Is it too assuming that my local PD anticipate such an occurrence.... and maybe mention that additional P2P where needed... ?  

Maybe they assumed that you had permits from a previous application. EVERY handgun acquired as a NJ resident requires a permit unless you inherited it.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I believe FFL and I filed SP015 and SP016 .... and did not fill out STS-033...    thinking the first two would suffice... as all gun info including serial no were included.. 

so NO permits were requested... but just exemption forms....  

Is it too assuming that my local PD anticipate such an occurrence.... and maybe mention that additional P2P where needed... ?

I've done it a couple times. Each time I submitted an STS-033, SP015 and SP016. The police then issue 3 permits and gave a copy of the 2 multi forms signed by the state police.