Tony13

9mm vs .40?

Ok, I've been out of the game for a few years and from what I've been reading lately the mindset on .40 has changed.

Why should I NOT get a .40?

I was all set on my next handgun being a .40. Why? Because I have a 9mm already and want something different. A .40 was supposed to have more knock down power then a 9mm. But this thought mentality has changed since the last time I research anything. Did I mention I want to get something different?

Getting another 9mm appeals to me in cost of ammo. Is the wear and tear less on a 9mm? Do you feel less fatigue shooting a 9mm over a .40? Accuracy?

I don't see myself being able to shoot one before purchase so I look forward to your input.

Thanks,

Tony

The 40 was developed for LE when the 10MM was to hard for most FBI agents to control. While the rest of the world stayed with the 9MM, LE adopted the 40.  Now better heads have prevailed and a move back to 9MM has picked up momentum.  The 40 will be benched for several reasons, cost leading the charge.  The 9MM  just has an overall advantage when all factors are considered.

How about a revolver, and to appeal to your "something different" desire and something other than 9 mm - make it a .45 ACP revolver (S&W 625). Good luck.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

• Like 2

There is no discernible difference in the terminal performance of 9mm and .40 S&W, when using comparable modern ammunition such as Fed HST, Speer GD, or Winchester Talons.

That being said, 9mm is cheaper, generally more plentiful to find, softer shooting, and usually produce faster split times and tighter accuracy when compared to .40.

It's also nice to consolidate ammo types.

Now, mag capacity can play into it. If standard 9mm capacity may be 17 rounds (for example a Gloc 17 or 34) which is a no-go in NJ requiring you to reduce capacity to 10 (what most companies sell as a restricted state mag) or will cost you more $ to have mags pinned to 15. Whereas the same gun in .40 (for example Glock 22/35) may come with 15 rounds mags a standard.

Another consideration is the ability to purchase conversion barrels. You can buy 9mm conversion barrels for .40 Glocks and M&P pistols, giving you the ability to shoot both calibers in the same gun. You can't buy .40 conversion barrels for 9mm pistols. I have 9mm and .22 conversions for my Glocks that allow me to shoot all three calibers with only burning one permit.

What pistol are you looking at buying?

Also, take the term "knockdown power" out of your vocabulary when dealing with pistols. There is no such thing. ;)

Thanks all. Looking at the Sig P320.

The conversion kits weren't a factor for me originally but now I'll have to consider it. If I get it in 9 can I install a .40? Or does it only work going down calibers?

Yes a revolver is on the list, as well as a .45. Next one I believe is going to be a O/U I hope. You guys know that list never ends. Lol. I have a few expensive hobbies so I'm trying to pace myself.

Sig p320 comes in 2 flavors: 9/.40/.357 Sig and .45.

I bought into the system early when Sig was still saying that the gun could go 9/.40/357/.45. They changed their story later on.

9/.40/.357 fire control group cannot work with .45.

.45 fire control group only works for .45.

Still, it is the gun that I shoot the best with and I highly recommend it.

The is another reason to consider .40 even if it is just a conversion. When the next ammo drought hits, 9mm and .223 and .22 are the first things to fly of the shelves. .40 seem stay around for a while longer, in fact during the latest unpleasantness, I don't recall it ever being gone of the shelves.

dajonga have you shot it in both 9mm and .40? Can you tell me your thoughts on the difference between the two. I'm still hung up on getting it a .40.

If you don't have a pistol in .40, then get it in .40. Why? What happens when a box of .40 is the only thing you can get your hands on? And, depending on the one you buy, you still have conversion possibilities if you want.

Personally neither I or my wife have been strongly influenced by the supposed control and accuracy differences between any of the major calibers. The top five handguns we each shoot the best include all the major calibers.

As for terminal performance, where'd you hit him?

The is another reason to consider .40 even if it is just a conversion. When the next ammo drought hits, 9mm and .223 and .22 are the first things to fly of the shelves. .40 seem stay around for a while longer, in fact during the latest unpleasantness, I don't recall it ever being gone of the shelves.

Unless we have a Trump like governor's election, look for the next shortage to begin in 10 months.  Start stocking up now or making out of state arrangements.  Murphy will reek holy hell for gun owners if elected.

That's because .40 sucks.

Funny... works fine in my Beretta 96G Centurion slide (converts my 92 Brigadier), two M&P40s (5" Pro and Compact), and SUB-2000.

Nothing wrong with .40. Works fine, easy conversion to .357 SIG in most platforms (barrel change). Does have better ballistics, and in a 9mm frame.

Personally, I say it is a round like .357 Magnum. Far from a niche, but not a super round (.357 Magnum is an improvement over .38 Special, but compare the Special/Magnum difference in .44... that's a notable leap in power). Worked well enough for the application, and gained widespread acceptance.

.40 doesn't suck... it is another service caliber, just like 9mm or .45. I consider it a 10mm Special... but prefer the true power of 10mm when I can get it (not lukewarm .40 loads in a longer case).

Ok, I've been out of the game for a few years and from what I've been reading lately the mindset on .40 has changed.

Why should I NOT get a .40?

I was all set on my next handgun being a .40. Why? Because I have a 9mm already and want something different. A .40 was supposed to have more knock down power then a 9mm. But this thought mentality has changed since the last time I research anything. Did I mention I want to get something different?

Getting another 9mm appeals to me in cost of ammo. Is the wear and tear less on a 9mm? Do you feel less fatigue shooting a 9mm over a .40? Accuracy?

I don't see myself being able to shoot one before purchase so I look forward to your input.

Thanks,

Tony

Idk.

I can get the conversions for mine and my wife's gun. And, I may.

But cost. And, storage. I get nervous when we take new shooters ( hmmn, that's a big withdraw from my ammo bank)

Variety is the spice of life. If you want a .40

Buy a . 40

Well sure, if you are going to make such well reasoned arguments, I can't help but agree :jester:

I shoot a lot more 9mm now then .40, but I've also shot a LOT of .40. It is a actually a lot more flexible then people realize, specially if you reload. I can span from very mild loads similar to 9mm all the way to loads hotter the most of the commercial available 10mm loading in the same handgun size as a 9mm. 

This is thread is about to devolve into caliber war and I'm not about that, but there are very few useless or bad cartridges, and that is usually if they are inherently unsafe or completely outclassed. .40 is neither.

dajonga have you shot it in both 9mm and .40? Can you tell me your thoughts on the difference between the two. I'm still hung up on getting it a .40.

I have not shot the 320 in .40.

I bought a Glock 22 to try both the .40 and Glock platform out. I like the round well enough, but not a Glock fan.

In hindsight, I should have purchased the full sized P320 in .40 instead.

I have not shot the 320 in .40.

I bought a Glock 22 to try both the .40 and Glock platform out. I like the round well enough, but not a Glock fan.

In hindsight, I should have purchased the full sized P320 in .40 instead.

Cause glocks suck!

Jus trying to help carl g out.

• Like 1

Thanks all. I appreciate everyone's input. Right now I want a .40 so I think I'm going to get a .40. 4 months and still waiting on my P2P, so I'm sure I'll change my mind a million times before I get it, the .40 that is.

Is the Ruger in your avatar a 40 or 9?

Don't tell my wife that. Colt Government Series 70, PPQ 45, Glock 21.

And definitely no trans thing going on in this house!

lol my wife's favorite gun to shoot is my 1911. You got my. point though.

lol my wife's favorite gun to shoot is my 1911. You got my. point though.

Yes, I did. BTW I left out her M&P. In .45 of course. You now see one reason why we have a harmonious household.  :D

I'm sure anecdotally a lot of women are hesitant to try .45. My wife's tall and has the same size hands as mine, so she has no issues with large frames or grips. And I give her a LOT of credit for trying out any handgun I've suggested. No snowflake she!

Now that I think of it, the last woman I took to the range for her first handgun experience actually selected a Glock 21 as her only handgun for the time being. Bought one after we finished trying out a variety. And she was 70+.