Tony13

9mm vs .40?

Are we talking Glock, or some other manufacturer?  

Lone Wolf makes an offset 9mm barrel that is the only change along with using the correct magazine to go to 9MM.

To change a Glock it needs two parts changed the barrel and the ejector, and use the right magazine.

Glock also requires a different extractor and bearing as well as the bent 9mm ejector.

You can get away without it for a gun where you are swapping back and forth, but for a full time swap, or a gun yo are relying on for personal safety, you should swap out to a 9mm extractor if you are going to shoot 9mm even through a conversion barrel.

There is no discernible difference in the terminal performance of 9mm and .40 S&W, when using comparable modern ammunition such as Fed HST, Speer GD, or Winchester Talons.

That being said, 9mm is cheaper, generally more plentiful to find, softer shooting, and usually produce faster split times and tighter accuracy when compared to .40.

It's also nice to consolidate ammo types.

Now, mag capacity can play into it. If standard 9mm capacity may be 17 rounds (for example a Gloc 17 or 34) which is a no-go in NJ requiring you to reduce capacity to 10 (what most companies sell as a restricted state mag) or will cost you more $ to have mags pinned to 15. Whereas the same gun in .40 (for example Glock 22/35) may come with 15 rounds mags a standard.

Another consideration is the ability to purchase conversion barrels. You can buy 9mm conversion barrels for .40 Glocks and M&P pistols, giving you the ability to shoot both calibers in the same gun. You can't buy .40 conversion barrels for 9mm pistols. I have 9mm and .22 conversions for my Glocks that allow me to shoot all three calibers with only burning one permit.

What pistol are you looking at buying?

Also, take the term "knockdown power" out of your vocabulary when dealing with pistols. There is no such thing. ;)

I'm with this guy! 

My first handgun ever was a Beretta 90-Two in .40.  I loved it until I got a G19 and realized the folly of my ways.  Different is not always better.  I still have the 90-Two but have put less than 50 rounds through it in the last 5 years.  

Even the magazine thing isn't a problem anymore.  Glock makes factory 15rd G17 mags as does S&W for the M&P9 FS.  

My advice, stick with 9mm, shoot more.

Can anyone tell me if I get the gun in a .40 can I just do a barrel swap to make it a 9? Or do I have to get the whole exchange kit?

I had a Glock 22 with a Lone Wolf Distributors conversion barrel. I only had an issue with a single Blazer Aluminum case failure to extract, but it was a defective case. I probably ran 1000 rounds through it.

I'm with this guy!

My first handgun ever was a Beretta 90-Two in .40. I loved it until I got a G19 and realized the folly of my ways. Different is not always better. I still have the 90-Two but have put less than 50 rounds through it in the last 5 years.

Even the magazine thing isn't a problem anymore. Glock makes factory 15rd G17 mags as does S&W for the M&P9 FS.

My advice, stick with 9mm, shoot more.

Agree. But at this point I'm thinking if I get it in 40 I have the versitiluty of both. If I don't like it in 40 I can keep it in 9. Seems like a win win.