Lambo2936

Motorcycle License, anyone?

Looking at getting my license, but it looks like anywhere i can find either isnt offering classes yet or is booked until June 16th or later..
Naturally, being excited to get a bike im not exactly looking to wait 2 months.. Anyone know of a school that has openings? Looking at taking one of those safety courses that also get you your license for 300$ or so.. My friend went to Rider Education of NJ which is the one thats booked way out to Mid-June, and none of the other schools seem to be any better.
Don't mind driving a  bit far or even staying at a motel/hotel for the weekend and making a trip out of it. I'm in East Brunswick NJ..
Thanks!

I don't know the class schedules but I'm glad to read that you're pursuing that route. Learning from a friend or family member exponentially increases your likelihood of a serious or fatal accident.

In the meantime, consider getting an underpowered bike that you can run to its limits. Also, getting something cheap an ugly means you won't cry when you drop it (not "if", but definitely "when").

You can search Harley's learn to ride program. Bergen Harley up here in Lodi, has a class June 2-5 which is open. Goes for $350.

If you are a former or current military or first responder Harley has a $99 program:

https://ridefree.harley-davidson.com/americanheroes

EDIT:

https://www.njmrt.org/

Has classes in early May

All the MSF courses in you area:

https://training.msf-usa.org/res/street/enroll/sites.aspx?ctgd=KQR6IAigfbpepns%2FZENM7A%3D%3D&zc=757V7aCgu4y5ixfoRFqAtA%3d%3d

Non military or first responder. Don't mind paying money though for a good class. Better safe than sorry.
Definitely buying an older beater bike for around/under 2k, first things first. After a little while ill look into getting something a bit newer/nicer. Already went over that with my buddy. Will certainly be investing in quality gear, as well.
Just hoping i could find a class that isnt in over 2 months, haha.

Mid June isn't really that far away. Accumulate your gear (helmet, jacket, gloves, boots, pants), do your research, and visit bike dealers. Shop for your bike and hopefully have it ready for when you get your license. It can take a while to get up to speed.

Read up on Motorcycle Consumer News and pick up a copy of Proficient Motorcycling.

Busy time of season. Try to get your bike worked on....

I would listen to WTF and just wait it out, and stay closer to home. Less stress and always nice to sleep in your own bed. A lot to learn in those 2-3 days. 

Two things have helped me in my riding...

Always look where you want to go, never look down at the ground...

And NEVER EVER touch the front brake when in a low speed turn. It will pull you right down...

• Like 1

I have a new unused AGV helmet if you're interested.  Its the K3 SV model with the internal visor

Was planning on riding too until my wife told me we're expecting #2 lol.  Got the helmet anticipating taking the MSF course but never actually got to it.

I've had it up but forgot about.

here's a link:  http://www.njgunforums.com/forum/index.php/topic/84046-wts-agv-k3-sv-motorcycle-helmet-w-internal-visor-never-used/

I have a new unused AGV helmet if you're interested.  Its the K3 SV model with the internal visor

Was planning on riding too until my wife told me we're expecting #2 lol.  Got the helmet anticipating taking the MSF course but never actually got to it.

I've had it up but forgot about.

here's a link:  http://www.njgunforums.com/forum/index.php/topic/84046-wts-agv-k3-sv-motorcycle-helmet-w-internal-visor-never-used/

Having #2 in about a Month and ~2 weeks or so. Thats why i'm iffy, and also why i'd rather take it sooner, so that i don't have a newborn to worry about.

The courses im looking at are also MSF courses, just one of the many schools.

Found one for May 6th i think im going to go to. We shall see. Going to contact them tomorrow.

• Like 1

Try NJRideSafe.org they have classes all over the state and some openings. Good luck and ride safe.

Im going through one of the companies on their list, actually. This site is how i found them.

Have you ever ridden a motorcycle before?

Never a full sized Motorcycle, no. Plenty of experience on snowmobiles and such, but that is obviously a different ball game.

Did you check out motorcycle riding center? That where I did mine. If you enjoy riding its actually a lot of fun.

theridingcenter.com

I checked them out but they were booked 'til June. The place i found had a single opening for early may weekend (6th and 7th). Had an opening for the 2nd, too, its a Tuesday/Wednesday class, if anyone else is interested i can send the link over.

Got my MC license in 2001, had my first accident in 2001 finally sold my bike in 2009ish.

Get the bike u want now. Youll only regret not getting a faster/bigger bike.

Car drivers dont care about MC riders. I got tired of it. The ATV is good for me now. I still renew the endorsement every year.

• Like 1

Heartily recommend the riding class.  Took one about 15 years ago up in New Brunswick.  

The reason the class is so important is that you simply don't know what you don't know...like, for example, if you lock up your rear brake at any kind of speed...DON'T LET IT UNLOCK until you slow down!  Tidbits like that.

I am currently between bikes, but thanks to the course I have the license.

Check and be sure....I heard a rumor the DMV no longer allows scooters....

EDIT

I was right....sort of.

NOTE: Starting January 1, 2013, anyone who takes a road test at MVC on a bike that is 231CC or less is restricted to riding only a 500CC or less motorcycle (M endorsement or Class E motorcycle-only license with restriction). If the road test is taken on a bike that is over 231CC, there will be no restriction with the M endorsement or motorcycle-only license. Anyone who successfully completes a Motorcycle Safety Education Program (MSEP) course is exempt from this bike size requirement and will not be restricted. Riders who are restricted to a bike that is 500CC or less will have a restriction “5” noted on their license and will be required to carry an MVC-issued restriction card while operating the motorcycle. 

http://www.state.nj.us/mvc/Licenses/Motorcycle.htm

Lol^^^

Same as motorcycles applies with guns. Start small or comfortable.

I would not go from a scoot to a 1200 in an eye blink as an advise.

But, yolo

LMAO.

Yeah, im going to get a 600-750 Cruiser. I'm not big on the sports bikes. I have (soon to be two) young kid(s) and am young myself. The last thing i want is to get myself seriously injured or killed... As it is im second guessing getting a bike just because of them. Not big on going fast, anyways. Until a few weeks ago my top speed was like 90 in my truck on the NJTPK. Then i hit 104 or so in my fathers R8 (he let me take it for a spin, and i figured why not after a bit of peer pressure, lol). Fastest i'd gone before that was actually 100 even on my Snowmobile on a lake up in Old Forge... Arctic cat F8 LXR (800). 

Anywho, not looking for speed. I want safety/comfort... Going to get an older, used cruiser for a bit.. Once i get the hang of things, ill upgrade to something newer. A Black Kawasaki Vulcan looks like my dream bike right now, or something along those lines. I think they are GORGEOUS.

i recommend taking the 3 day course at Farleigh Dickinson. Don't know their schedule/openings, but this is where I went years ago. The instructors were great. You get a 1 day indoor course to go over safety and the nj manual on motorcycle riding. The next couple of days you're riding in a closed parking lot. It was fun and educational. You also get to take the riding exam on the last day. If you pass (which you will, unless you really can't ride), they stamp approve and you can go straight to DMV to turn in the cert for the "M" endorsement on your license. 2 for 1 deal, learn how to ride safely and get the exam done.

http://view2.fdu.edu/academics/continuing-education/driver-safety-education/motorcycle-safety-education/

Also, years ago, when I went for my license, I had to get the permit first. That meant going to DMV and taking a written exam first. Upon passing that and waiting an X amount of time, 3 months I believe, was I then allowed to pursue the license. Just a heads up incase you haven't completed this part yet. Happy Riding, don't forget your helmet and gloves.

Looking at getting my license, but it looks like anywhere i can find either isnt offering classes yet or is booked until June 16th or later..

Naturally, being excited to get a bike im not exactly looking to wait 2 months.. Anyone know of a school that has openings? Looking at taking one of those safety courses that also get you your license for 300$ or so.. My friend went to Rider Education of NJ which is the one thats booked way out to Mid-June, and none of the other schools seem to be any better.

Don't mind driving a  bit far or even staying at a motel/hotel for the weekend and making a trip out of it. I'm in East Brunswick NJ..

Thanks!

Busy time of year for that. You might have to wait. Try looking at Burlington County College. My buddy just graduated from a motorcycle course their two weeks ago. Motorcycle Safety Association for $350. 

Check and be sure....I heard a rumor the DMV no longer allows scooters....

EDIT

I was right....sort of.

NOTE: Starting January 1, 2013, anyone who takes a road test at MVC on a bike that is 231CC or less is restricted to riding only a 500CC or less motorcycle (M endorsement or Class E motorcycle-only license with restriction). If the road test is taken on a bike that is over 231CC, there will be no restriction with the M endorsement or motorcycle-only license. Anyone who successfully completes a Motorcycle Safety Education Program (MSEP) course is exempt from this bike size requirement and will not be restricted. Riders who are restricted to a bike that is 500CC or less will have a restriction “5” noted on their license and will be required to carry an MVC-issued restriction card while operating the motorcycle. 

http://www.state.nj.us/mvc/Licenses/Motorcycle.htm

Good. I took my test on a full size 1981 Honda CB650 my brother and I had. 

I taught myself after I bought my bike.  My friend who already had his license rode it home for me and then i just tooled around on it in my Condo's parking lot until i felt comfortable enough to go out on a road.  Then just around my block for a couple of weeks.  It was fun, had a couple of close calls but never dropped it. 

I dont think you have to do the permit thing. From what i read, you take the course and get your endorsement, thats that.

Correct, the permit doesnt even make sense since they changed it. Many people get the permit and skip the endorsement because the permit is basically 85% a license.it Stoopid.

The course will require you to pass a written test and a riding test. The course is designed to get you to pass both, and they will give you tricks to lose the least amount of points to pass, like crossings lines and putting your foot down.

So when you go to the DMV you already completed the requirements.

We learned on our own but I will admit it was a lot different back them. Can you actually operate the motorcycle on the road? What do you ride?

Once you have a permit you can ride with a licensed operator along side.I dont know what the actual time is today but when I got mine it was 30 days till testing time.

Not an expert but can probably show you a few things legally a MC since 1971 but illegally up to 1971