Lambo2936

Motorcycle License, anyone?

Man, things have changed.

When I got mine in the 70's, they sent you down the bock. If you made it back, you passed.

I hear that and same could be said for the inspection lines, the running joke at the inspection lanes was “if you made it thru without hitting anything you passed the brake test”. On a side note that’s one good thing CC did by getting rid of the MC inspections. If you have to depend on some state official to advise you if your ride is safe you’re already f**ked.

IMHO I think things were a *little* smoother for riders in the 70’s, you only had to worry about the A-hole in the car next to you eating a bowl of cereal and shaving, Now you have to worry about them eating, shaving and texting. I use to commute to work on mine back in the mid 70’s thru the early 80’s  then with all the sprawl and increase in traffic I gave up riding around 1982 but keep the endorsement up. I got the itch again in 2005 and went over to HD dealer and purchased one right off the showroom floor which I still have today.  From 2005 it’s been for pleasure only, for me commuting slowly took all the fun out of it. Anyway it is fun again, if fact just changed the fluids today so ready to roll.

To the OP, just be safe out there. 50% of the people out there don't see you and the other 50% don't give a shit. Good luck!

Ridden all sorts of stuff, never a motorcycle.. taking the course to be safe, dont mind spending a few bucks.. could save my life. My understanding is they teach you the basics. I have a few buddies ill ride with after that regardless to be safe.

On a side note that’s one good thing CC did by getting rid of the MC inspections.

Still, the state manages to charge me $64 per year for registration. **grumble**

To the OP, just be safe out there. 50% of the people out there don't see you and the other 50% don't give a shit. Good luck!

From your mouth to God's ears!

Ridden all sorts of stuff, never a motorcycle.. taking the course to be safe, dont mind spending a few bucks.. could save my life. My understanding is they teach you the basics. I have a few buddies ill ride with after that regardless to be safe.

I took the course through MSF years ago. They taught me stuff your buddies who never took the course, probably still don't know. It's well worth the time and money. Riding a motorcycle is a hazardous adventure. I had too many close calls with people who either don't care or just don't see you. I was sitting in a left turn only lane and some guy pulled up right next to me, about a foot away. I banged on his window and he almost crapped himself. He said he didn't see me there. Never mind the people who pull out of side streets or parking lots without looking.

Be safe. Drive defensive. Watch those oil spots especially at toll booths. And keep the rubber side down.

• Like 1

Still, the state manages to charge me $64 per year for registration. **grumble**

I hear you, that's an whole another hot button issue with me, $65 for the bike reg and  $46.50 for the car. How does the state come up with that? you think they would reward you for having a lesser fuel consumption but we all know the higher reg fee  its because they aren't getting the extra taxes on the bike fuel so they whack us at DVM. Just more money for them to waste, that's what all the stupid proposed gun laws are for, its smoke & mirrors to get the public's eye off the big picture, the waste....

Taking the course isn't going to make you safe. I honestly think it gives people a false sense of security. Like many people have said, most of the drivers will look you strait in the eye and then turn in front of you anyway because they see right thru you. If you want to ride in a sort of safe manner, get your license, buy a "street legal" dirt bike and join an enduro club. Learn to ride without playing in traffic. Good luck.

It might not have saved my life just yet, but as a new rider I found myself In a few bad spots that had me going down, my lessons kicked in and I kept the bike up and my ass off the pavement. Last year I almost ate it negotiating a turn, gravel all over this time of year.

A little bit of knowledge goes a LONG way on a bike. I saw the gravel a head of time and knew to look for it,(winter is over). I knew to take my turns slower then normal and watch more closely. I didn't brake and just let the bike slide a little bit. Even something stupid like going through a toll can get you injured if you stop on the (certain) oil slick in the middle of the lanes.

Taking the course isn't going to make you safe. I honestly think it gives people a false sense of security. Like many people have said, most of the drivers will look you strait in the eye and then turn in front of you anyway because they see right thru you. If you want to ride in a sort of safe manner, get your license, buy a "street legal" dirt bike and join an enduro club. Learn to ride without playing in traffic. Good luck.

Riding a motorcycle is a defensive action 99% of the time in NJ. Expect at all times someone doesn't see you and will run you over.

Depends on what course you take. The riding center instills the fear of God in you. Every 5 minutes is another learning lesson on what to watch out for. It will also point out your strengths and weaknesses. I was the only one who could do the figure 8 with out losing points, and we had a girl drop out when we were power walking the bikes cause she kept dropping it.

Riding in NJ feels like playing a video game with all the road hazards and distracted bad drivers trying to take you out.

A riding course will just get you an endorsement and on the road...  Becoming a competent rider will take many more miles.  Don't take it lightly, man.  I've seen too many guys get really hurt.

Try to ride with a group when you can.  Safety and visibility in numbers.

• Like 1

LMAO.

Yeah, im going to get a 600-750 Cruiser. I'm not big on the sports bikes. I have (soon to be two) young kid(s) and am young myself. The last thing i want is to get myself seriously injured or killed... As it is im second guessing getting a bike just because of them. Not big on going fast, anyways. Until a few weeks ago my top speed was like 90 in my truck on the NJTPK. Then i hit 104 or so in my fathers R8 (he let me take it for a spin, and i figured why not after a bit of peer pressure, lol). Fastest i'd gone before that was actually 100 even on my Snowmobile on a lake up in Old Forge... Arctic cat F8 LXR (800). 

Anywho, not looking for speed. I want safety/comfort... Going to get an older, used cruiser for a bit.. Once i get the hang of things, ill upgrade to something newer. A Black Kawasaki Vulcan looks like my dream bike right now, or something along those lines. I think they are GORGEOUS.

This is the right attitude man. Even if you have the small bike for a couple of months it's worth it and you'll get your money back. I started out on a Honda Shadow for a year then went to my Harley. I definitely wouldn't have done it any other way.

Graduating from an MSF class, although is enough to get the M, it's qualifies you to ride around a parking lot. No sense in picking out a bike now. Your opinion can totally change after the class. I got my M in 2009. Had a chunk of time off riding and took again in 2014. Instructors in 2014 told this story:

A guy bought a Vrod (brand new) from Ocean County Harley. He was set to take the class the following week. NO experience. He took and passed the class. Picked up the Vrod, barely got it home because it was WAY too much bike for him. He called them up and said he just couldn't keep. They worked with him and got him into a Fatboy Lo. It was a 2013. I know this story to be true, because when I was looking to buy my Harley in 2015, I went and looked at a 2013 Fatboy Lo with 120 miles on it at some guys house. It turned out to be THAT GUY! Too funny. He told me the whole story. Turns out he had a friend that got killed on a bike right after he got his it sat for several years except to run it here and there.

Riding around is no joke, especially is this whacked out state. U-turns are helpful but it won't save your life. I can bang them good now, but after the class focus on swerving, emergency braking, starting and stopping on hills, and taking off while turning. These are all things that will save your hide or use frequently. Practice U-turns too, but again it's a convenience skill. However it will develop some great control.

Once you have a 3 - 5k miles under you take the Ride Like A Pro NJ class. They give it up in Union. There is also ProRider in Philly.

I hear you, that's an whole another hot button issue with me, $65 for the bike reg and  $46.50 for the car. How does the state come up with that? you think they would reward you for having a lesser fuel consumption but we all know the higher reg fee  its because they aren't getting the extra taxes on the bike fuel so they whack us at DVM. Just more money for them to waste, that's what all the stupid proposed gun laws are for, its smoke & mirrors to get the public's eye off the big picture, the waste....

I've had people piss and moan at me because I parked in a parking space (where else would I park LOL). I say to them "See this rectangular metal thing with the numbers and letters? I paid more for this than your rectangular thing with numbers and letters so go pound sand".

Oh but we do get a little break without having to go through inspection with our bikes.

Riding in NJ feels like playing a video game with all the road hazards and distracted bad drivers trying to take you out.

A riding course will just get you an endorsement and on the road...  Becoming a competent rider will take many more miles.  Don't take it lightly, man.  I've seen too many guys get really hurt.

Try to ride with a group when you can.  Safety and visibility in numbers.

Group riding is only as good as the poorest rider. I don't have any friends that ride. I would never go on and charity or other event group ride because you have no clue who is around you. Trust who you ride with in a group.

I Learned the basics in the East Brunswick High School Parking lot in the very back that used to be used for Driving tests or classes.  I Then took the MSF course at Brookdale.  It was nice because the last day the administered the test all you had to do was go to DMV the following day and get your Endorsment.  The course is the way to go.   

Man, things have changed.

When I got mine in the 70's, they sent you down the bock. If you made it back, you passed.

Took mine in '68 a week before the Army got me. Taught myself to ride on the way home from the cycle shop. When I finished the test I looked around for the inspector who was supposedly watching me. He was just coming out of the building with a fresh cup of coffee. He signed off and I was done.

Group riding is only as good as the poorest rider. I don't have any friends that ride. I would never go on and charity or other event group ride because you have no clue who is around you. Trust who you ride with in a group.

I try to explain to people why I don't ride in groups. They don't get.
  • Like 2

I learned while on the permit usually but not always with a licensed rider. First legal street bike was a 650 BSA .Had that for a year and then went out and bought a Sportster. 2 or 3 days of school does not MAKE YOU a good, safe operator. experiance does .

• Like 2

I did the MSF thing through FDU a few years back. I had put some miles on riding with my father on the permit before the class. I strongly recommend the class, but it is by no means all encompassing. it does give good experience and a foundation to build off of. I went back a year later for the next course, dont ask me the name of it as i just checked the msf site and couldn't figure out what i took.

a very wise person once told me that its not if you go down its when you go down.

cagers in this state suck, you must asume everyone is out to kill you, thell prove you right fairly frequently. familty freinds kid was a competitive racer, she got nailed by distracted cager a few blocks from their house, doa. it happens.

i tend to ride solo or with 1 or 2 people i trust, i dont trust groups, as was stated above the group is only as good as their weakest link

the only time you will find a more inexperienced bunch of riders then a MSF course is a HOG ride

Know your limits but always challenge them. You need to know how to keep yourself out of trouble, but also need to know how to get yourself out of trouble should you find it.

I ride alot less since the kids, more because of the pickup and dropoff issues with them then concern for my own safety or anything like that, since your expecting again something to keep in mind. ive spent the last 2 weeks with the bike still mothballed because of their schedule

Save the money and go to MVC and get a permit and practice driving around for a month then go take your test.

You can always take the course at a later date. You can never get the experiance in 2 days verses a month on the REAL WORLD ROADS.

Knowlegde with out experiance is like paper without a pencil.  Will you fall down ,maybe but what dosent kill you does make you smarter and stronger

Brakes and tires.

Make sure you ck them, ck them often.

You're not getting more than 10k out of tires.

Bikes im looking at are all 5k or less miles.

Currently have my eyes planted on a Harley sportster 883 (06 iirc) and an 05 Yamaha Vstar Midnight Edition. Love black bikes, and the gray/silver ones are ok. Not a fan of the colored cruisers.

Would love to pick up a ninja in green but im too short.. brother has an 06 600 ninja he said i can ride but it needs some lovin.

go 1200 with the sportster, i had the same thought with the 883, but i found a 1200 that was a deal, but purple and chromed to hell, rode it for a year, saved up a bit, decided what i wanted to do to it, and banged it up a litle bit from inexperience. then took it down for the winter, painted it and changed some stuff on it and been riding it since

the only advantage 883 has is you can punch em to 1250

rigid mount evos are the way to go

I post this only to show things that happen in the real world that you have no control over

Crazy video..

Think im going to pick up a 2006 Yamaha V Star 650 Midnight Edition. ~3k, has 1200 and change miles on it.

2006-Yamaha-VStar-MidnightCustom.jpg

Looks like a nice first bike ,Good Luck with it . I had to settle for the BSA Thunderbolt cause I didnt have enough money for a Harley. Put 7000 miles on it and sold it for what I paid for it and bought the 1972 Sportster  $2375.00 out the door from Pa