Sign in to follow this  
barbie

Question re: Question 21 on FPID application

Hi - I need to apply for a pistol permit.  It's been quite a while since I have done so, and so I was surprised at the medical history question 21 on the permit application.  It asks about physical defects and diseases (full stop).  It seems to be vary vague and broad.  How am I supposed to answer that question?  

Is the need to wear glasses a physical defect I need to disclose?  How about now that I have implants and just need readers?

How about the fact that I have a foot drop that is not noticeable unless tested, but sometimes causes me to trip? 

What about the patch covering a hole in my heart that sometimes causes benign arrythmias?

How about my hypertension? Struggles with obesity?  Diabetes Type II?  

I don't have any issues that should interfere with my ability to own or operate firearms.  I already have my FPID - I just want to transfer a couple of pistols from my ex-husband's name to mine as part of our divorce.  It seems to me that if I were to answer this question as "yes" I'd need to include a complete medical history!

I don't want to answer this question incorrectly - why do I feel like I need a lawyer to complete this accurately?

The purpose of Q 21 is full disclosure, followed by 22, which hopefully you can answer no, but if not you will need an affidavit or certification from a doctor. Presumably the severity of any condition, which may be permanent, and if it corrected or not, by medication or medical appliance, will dictate how you should answer question #21 Only you and your physician are informed about your medical history. Hope this helps.

A lawyer would be the "safest" way to complete the application, but a call to the NJ State Police Firearms Investigation Unit at 609-882-2000 Extension 2290 (Phone) may shed some light as well.

I agree that it is extremely vague and is most likely an intentional trap. 

Edit: If you're an ANJRPC member, you could try calling one of their lawyers on retainer to see if they can answer your question for free.

I don't have any issues that should interfere with my ability to own or operate firearms.  I already have my FPID

So the answer is "No".

The reason you feel such trepidation is that you live in New Jersey. But in this case, it is unfounded.

• Like 1

So the answer is "No".

The reason you feel such trepidation is that you live in New Jersey. But in this case, it is unfounded.

This..   do any of those "conditions" interfere with your ability to safely own or operate a firearm?  If no, then the answer is "no"

Hmmmmm.......there seems to be a rash of how I get gun posts from folks asking about arrests, physical maladies, DV all on their very first posts. Uh, oh, there's that paranoid asshole Rob again.

• Like 1

Yes = no FPID

No = FPID

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Not true. You will receive your FPID if you answer "yes" to question 21 so long as you can honestly answer "no" to question 22. (Assuming no other disqualifications.)

CORNEAL IMPLANTS!

I was hoping the other implants too. Didnt happen without photos. We need proof. Back to topic. Answer is no.

Hmmmmm......one post and uses the name Barbie then mentions implants.  Really guys?  

FWIW, I'm giving Barbie the benefit of the doubt.

You are absolutely entitled to that choice. I choose to be skeptical given the number of times these questions have been asked by people with 1 post recently.

Just answer "No".  If you can and have fired safely then as far as you know you're not impaired medically.  Who are you to make such a diagnosis? You're not a medical expert.  In your assessment you're fine.  It's another question thrown in to gum up the works.