orangesolo

Flying from JFK to NC

Hey guys, so I wanna bring my .22 with me to north carolina this weekend. I will be flying out of JFK. Never flown with a firearm before. I have read up on the process of doing so, but other than that, don't have any real life experience.

For anyone that has flown out of JFK with a firearm, can you let me know how it went?

Also am thinking of just shipping my .22 to myself (cousin's residence). What do you guys think. I will decide tonight on what to do. 

Just ship it to yourself. It'll cost about the same as a checked bag depending on the airline.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Nice. Will definitely ship then. Now.. can I ship a handgun to myself? Or only rifles? I will be shipping a 15-22 to myself, but want to know if I can bring my SR22 with me also.

Nice. Will definitely ship then. Now.. can I ship a handgun to myself? Or only rifles? I will be shipping a 15-22 to myself, but want to know if I can bring my SR22 with me also.

Only rifles and shotguns. I used a flat rate box to ship a shotgun receiver and an AR lower to myself in AZ. Then back again. I took the upper and shotgun barrel + stock with me in checked baggage.

Ah well I just read the ATF website and it states that handguns are not allowed to be shipped via USPS, only contract carriers so count my SR22 out. Way too damn expensive to overnight UPS/FedEx. Guess I will just be sticking with my 15-22. Legal to ship lower & upper together via USPS & a hell of a lot cheaper :)

CAREFUL. The 15-22 Most likely isn't NY compliant in NJ configuration.

True no pistol grip below the trigger guard and no muzzle device at all. NY stupid on MSR's exceeds even NJ stupid. Oh and 10 round magazine only.

You can't use USPS to legally ship a handgun to yourself as somebody here mentioned. But can you legally send yourself a handgun via UPS or FedEx ground? I've only overnighted my handguns when using these carriers.

You can't use USPS to legally ship a handgun to yourself as somebody here mentioned. But can you legally send yourself a handgun via UPS or FedEx ground? I've only overnighted my handguns when using these carriers.

I believe I read a UPS requirement to ship it "Next day air" only. They won't allow shipment by "ground" or "2 day air, etc."   I don't know whether or not that's for "maximum revenue," or just to keep UPS' "custody risk" to the least amount of time, or whatever... but....  There may also be similar Fedex requirement.

No, UPS/FedEx will only do next day air or 2 day air. Reason being they want that firearm in the least amount of hands possible.

Handgun still requires "nonlicensee" to FFL, or FFL to FFL I believe.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

We ship everything UPS GROUND. It's the independently owned shops that sometimes refuse to listen to the actual rules and set their own

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

FFL is different than individual.  Check the requirements at the websites.  They want no more than two day.  

Yes, you can ship to yourself.   The carriers may have rules against it, but it's not illegal.

I wasn't speaking of legality but the carriers.  If they won't carry it the law doesn't really matter.  Check the rules you don't want them holding it.  It's a pain in the ass to get the guns back.  Believe me, I know.  

FedEx requires you to claim the firearm when dropping off.  I've had some savvy employees ask me if either I or the recipient is a FFL.

Well I just shipped my rifle via USPS! No one even wanted to touch it/send it through (practically barely knew how too) until the manager came and and I had to show them the USPS website stating how to send it through them. After the initial 10 minutes of mass confusion, the rest was a breeze. Thankfully no one freaked out when I told the employee I would like to ship a firearm!

No, UPS/FedEx will only do next day air or 2 day air. Reason being they want that firearm in the least amount of hands possible.

Handgun still requires "nonlicensee" to FFL, or FFL to FFL I believe.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Can you please confirm whether or not this policy carries the force of law? Can the OP legally ground ship (UPS or FedEx) a pistol to himself in another state?

Can you please confirm whether or not this policy carries the force of law? Can the OP legally ground ship (UPS or FedEx) a pistol to himself in another state?

It's their policy and does not require force of law.  They can make any restrictions they want on what they carry.  I'd be concerned shipping a pistol to myself via any carrier because it does not comply with their policies.  

Here are FedEx's policies:

http://www.nraba.org/graphics/Benefits/RevisedServiceMatrix(2).pdf

You cannot ship without one end being an FFL or manufacturer.  That seems to be for rifle or pistol.

UPS seems to be more restrictive than FedEx:

https://www.ups.com/content/us/en/resources/ship/packaging/guidelines/firearms.html