AVB-AMG

Any recommendations for a good introductory CCW course/class?

I have taken a number of NRA and alternative courses and training classes offered by various gun ranges and clubs for handguns, rifles and shotguns. but am a complete novice, rookie and intrigued/curious student when it comes to the concept of CCW.

I am now at a point where I am interested in learning more about concealed carry, the do's and don'ts, ideal CCW handguns, holsters, strategy, etc, even though it is not a legal reality for the vast majority of us NJ residents, (yet.....?)

Can anyone in this forum suggest or recommend any organizations, clubs, ranges, etc that offer or host these types of classes/courses in NJ or the Northeast U.S. and/or mid-Atlantic states, such as PA, CT, MD, DE, NY, VA, NC.?   

Thank you in advance for your suggestions, ideas and recommendations.

AVB-AMG

There's actually one this Saturday in PA that will probably be the best value for your money:  http://www.sightsandtrigger.com/Training.html

Otherwise, NRA Personal Protection Outside the Home is a good place to start.

Massad Ayoob's MAG courses are also well regarded.

I'm sure Gun For Hire has classes here in Jersey.

I would also recommend shooting an IDPA or steel match. Both are good ways to learn your gun and strong points. JUST USE WHAT YOU WOULD USE IN THE REAL WORLD.

There's actually one this Saturday in PA that will probably be the best value for your money:  http://www.sightsandtrigger.com/Training.html

I'll be there. I'm really "rusty" know. In NJ, I was a the range at least once a week and taking classes every 3 months or so. Now, I barely make it the range once a month and haven't taken any classes probably in 1.5 years.

I'll be there. I'm really "rusty" know. In NJ, I was a the range at least once a week and taking classes every 3 months or so. Now, I barely make it the range once a month and haven't taken any classes probably in 1.5 years.

All good. Joe is a great guy and instructor. Makes sure everyone in his class is getting something regardless of where they are at.

Thank you all for your recommendations and suggestions.

BTW, some of you may have already seen this article in a recent NRA email:

How to Choose a Concealed Carry Pistol Instructor

https://www.nrafamily.org/articles/2017/3/22/how-to-choose-a-concealed-carry-pistol-instructor/#.WPild06iz4w.gmail

AVB-AMG

On 4/18/2017 at 10:00 AM, WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot said:

On 4/19/2017 at 7:31 PM, WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot said:

All good. Joe is a great guy and instructor. Makes sure everyone in his class is getting something regardless of where they are at.

WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot:

Thanks for the heads-up to the Conceal Carry course being taught this coming Saturday, April 22nd at the Steel City Gun Club in Bethlehem, PA by Joe Riedy / Sight & Trigger (S&T).  Unfortunately, I have another more pressing activity that I need to attend to this Saturday so I will not be able to attend Joe's course on this date.

FYI, on Thursday, I called and spoke with Joe and inquired if he would possibly be willing to offer this same course again at some point this year, as opposed to waiting a full year, (April 2018).  He told me that if I can find four (4) other people to attend, plus myself, for a total of five (5) people, that he would be willing to hold another CCW course in the not too distant future.  I told him I would attempt to muster up some additional people who are also interested in learning about CCW, drawing from various types of holsters, along with his "dos and dont's" for CCW, and would get back to him.  He told me that his CCW course is really tailored to the needs and interests of the specific students he is teaching and that he tries to keep the class size very small to allow for more personal attention.  His course would be on a Saturday and starts at 9:00 a.m. and lasts 8 hours, finishing up at 5:00 p.m. and costs each student $175.00, paid either via personal check or cash, (no credit cards).

If anyone here on NJGF would be interested in taking Joe's CCW course sometime this year on a Saturday, with the exact date T.B.D. sometime in May through October, please let me know either by posting in this thread or sending me a PM. Thanks....  

AVB-AMG